Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Taking the Nomad 'squatting dog' theme just a bit too far?
  • wwaswas

(image shamelessly stolen from a brant twitter)

cynic-al
    Free Member

jackthedog
    Free Member

That really is very fugly, though fitting a frame around a three-mile long shock is always going to be a bit tricky.

hora
    Free Member

Why is that frame needed? For Josh Bender? 😆

wwaswas

it's probably only got 6 to 8 inches travel hora – the shock is a a 2:1 Carnutt thingy.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

'the bells, the bells!'

delusional
    Free Member

it's probably only got 6 to 8 inches travel hora – the shock is a a 2:1 Carnutt thingy.

It's got a little Fox sticker on the piggy back…

chakaping
    Free Member

It'll still have a 2:1 stroke though, won't it?

Quite a startling looking bike.

At least if you were riding it you'd probably have a full-face helmet on so nobody would know it was you.

tinsy
    Free Member

I would love to try a Foes, they have thrown a LOT of money at that in design and R&D.

Is it a development bike or production?

chapking, it certainly looks like Fox 2:1 shock on it, maybe Fox are in on the devolpment of this instead of Carnutt…

delusional
    Free Member

Very true, I didn't think about the length of the shock just focused on the name. If Fox are working on a 2:1 capable shock could that mean more bikes with such a leverage ratio in the near future?

brant
    Free Member

If Fox are working on a 2:1 capable shock could that mean more bikes with such a leverage ratio in the near future?

And that would be a good thing why?

delusional
    Free Member

And that would be a good thing why?

I've not ridden one, so I'm not 100% sure it is a good thing. But my understanding is that a lower leverage ratio produces a smoother suspension action.

PJ266
    Free Member

Because everyone tells us that low leverage ratios are better?

glenh
    Free Member

lower leverage ratio = higher oil volumes + lower internal pressures = better and more consistent performance.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The Santa Cruz website has some interesting articles on this subject stating that they cannot remotely tell the difference between a 2.75" stoke versus a 3.5" stroke for 10" of travel but that it did seem to make a difference going from 57mm to 63mm on the Blur (sorry to mix the units)

brant
    Free Member

Because everyone tells us that low leverage ratios are better?

How does that work for light riders?

PJ266
    Free Member

How does that work for light riders?

I was just repeating whats been beaten into me by magazines/internet articles 😉

mildred

Brant, if the correct spring rate is chosen, why would the weight of the rider have any bearing on the leverage ratio?

Edit: If 2:1 became more the norm would lighter spring weights become more common?

adeward
    Free Member

i like the looks of it,, who needs straight lines when a nice curve does the job

brant
    Free Member

Edit: If 2:1 became more the norm would lighter spring weights become more common?

Mildred is getting warmer.

mildred

From my own fannying around with my Nicolai in the various travel settings using a variety of shocks i found that the lower the leverage ratio, the lower the spring weight or psi needed. Using a too long Dhx air shock on the lowest travel setting I achieved a 2:1 (thereabouts) ratio.

This had an interesting effect – the compression damping was incredibly slow. I wondered if this is because the Dhx air is designed to be used at higher leverage ratios? I rang Mojo to ask, but they said not, and that a standard Dhx air should work ok with 2:1. From comments above, this may be in dispute:

If Fox are working on a 2:1 capable shock could that mean more bikes with such a leverage ratio in the near future?

My own guess is that it isn't that good at flowing oil through the damping circuit, so brant, you're more than dabbling with full suspension and Linkage at the moment, can you shed any light?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Taking the Nomad 'squatting dog' theme just a bit too far?’ is closed to new replies.