Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Taking the long way home- London to Munich via the Atlantic. Tips?
  • alpin
    Free Member

Have four weeks to make my way from the UK back home to Munich with the van.

Thinking of going via Portsmouth and then down the west coast of France, into the Pyrenees for a spot of riding, maybe over to Spain, east through Provence, maybe down to the Med (but thinking there might be too many tourists given it’ll be August), then through the alps before hitting the border where the girlfriend will take over the driving.

Are there any good books for the French aires that you can recommend? Have the van so we can be off grid for over a week if we find somewhere nice to chill.

Anything I shouldn’t miss?

Thinking of visiting some of Hitler’s Atlantic Wall constructions.

I know there are meant to be some great (nudist) beaches and surf breaks.

Any tips greatly welcomed….!

alpin
    Free Member

Anyone?

spawnofyorkshire

The coastline around Narbonne is nice and won’t be as packed out as other areas on the med. Great seafood around there too.
    It’s not too far from the Pyrenees so you could head there on the way north from Spain.
    Carcasonne is always worth a visit, especially if you’ve not been there before. There’s a good market in the main town, have lunch at one of the cafes on the square before heading up to the Cite for the touristy stuff

alpin
    Free Member

thanks spawn….

was thinking the Med coast would be mega busy, but may give it a look depending on where we end up.

thinking a week or so down the Atlantic caost, a week or more in the Pyrenees and then head over to the Alps around Aosta/Pila or Finale for some bike bashing.

Marin
    Free Member

If you going to Aosta bit further than Pila is Sauze d olux and Bondaneccia both great fun to ride. I’ll be back in Aosta in a few weeks. Hurray!

nickjb
    Free Member

We did a very similar trip last year. Hit the coast near Royan which is a little bit touristy but there are some nice secluded camp sites in the forests. Then down the coast a bit. There is surf there but I’ve done that bit before so we cut the corner towards Pau on very empty fast roads. Stayed just outside Panticosa over the Spanish border in a beautiful part of the Pyrenees. There is biking here but we just did some walking. Stunning scenery. Then cut along the Pyrenees a bit. Checked out a couple of biking spots, had a couple of days in Luchon, one of my favourites. We then stayed with a few friends in their villa (with much needed pool) before heading to Carcassonne then Pont du Gard for some wandering round the history (both recommended). Then up to Annecy and on to Morzine. Fantastic trip. Never really seemed busy anywhere despite being high season. We just stayed on campsites to make life easier. Wasn’t hard to find them. La Sousta at Pont du Gard was really nice and a similar price to parking at the bridge. Arome Vanille in Luchon is nice big camp site just a little out of town. If we do it again I’d try and spend longer in the Pyrenees.

If you do want to do Aires there’s a book called ‘All the Aires’

alpin
    Free Member

nice,m nick, cheers.

not sure if a book for the aires is needed now that we don’t have to pay for raoming…

cheers Marin… will bear that in mind. maybe Aosta/Pila or Finale… Finale has the added benefit of being on the coast.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Taking the long way home- London to Munich via the Atlantic. Tips?’ is closed to new replies.