Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Taking the bike to Cornwall. Worth it?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Have visions of early morning shenanigans up on the coast path blatting along care free before a day of surf and beach.
    The reality in me thinks 1/2 mile stretches then a load of hike a bike before another 1/4 mile stretch and further hike a bike. Staying in trebarwith so right us tintagel and bude left is padstein etc…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Correct assessment for that area IME.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Having been there and done exactly as you describe – I wouldn’t bother. Take a road bike for some early morning spins – I wouldn’t go out later in the day on some of those tiny lanes with blind corners unless you want to play dodge the campervan!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Don’t have a road bike mainly due to the facts in your post about roads.

jekkyl

Taking a bike is always worth it. Study satellite maps before you go for coastal path action.. There’s always sustrans paths for mostly traffic free cycling. All cycling is a win afaic..

dantsw13

I did exactly that from the hills above Polzeath. Only the odd set of steps to carry up.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Looks like I’ll go the jekkyl way then. I can take it so sod it.

warton
    Free Member

I wouldn’t ride the Coastal path there, at anytime of day, always people on it, and they won’t take kindly to bikes. I ran it a few times, truly stunning…

prawny

40 mins drive to Cardinham from there, worth a look if you’re able to sneak off for a couple of hours. It’s quite a short lap but fun enough to be worth a couple of goes round

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Just drive to Dartmoor. Price town/widow maker loop is one of my favourite ever rides, that or Lustleigh and the nut cracker.

Road bike wise, try the bude alps between morwenstow and boscastle. SERIOUSLY huge climbs on the rural coast road.

For a fantastic low tide beach go to Duckpool north of Bude.

Dept 26 maybe able to help out on local rides

postierich
    Free Member

Lots of It rideable from Mother Ivys bay to Padstow did it several times last year had no issues with walkers I encountered Tried the North bit to Bocastle now that was hard work

richwales

Stayed near Bude a few weeks ago – met up with a good bunch from Southfork bikes for their Wednesday night MTB ride. Good trails round there you just need the local input.

rossburton
    Free Member

Lots of great riding across most of Cornwall, hit up a local shop or the various groups on facebook to find local riders. Coast path may be best in the evening, I’ve done the Chapelporth->Perranporth stretch in the evening when the walkers are minimal.

spacemonkey

I ‘rode’ a fair chunk of the coastal path a few years ago. Yes, it requires a bit of carrying here and there but it is truly stunning – almost primeval when you’re in amongst the rocks on an outcrop or similar.

Wouldn’t necessarily recommend it though – better to zig zag in and out of the coast IMO.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It’s good fun. Don’t fall off a cliff.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Taking the bike to Cornwall. Worth it?’ is closed to new replies.