Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Taking photos off iPhone on windows?!
  • alexxx
    Free Member

My mate needs to free up some space with 2000 photos on his phone… at the moment it’s ticked to say “backup to icloud and keep a smaller res copy on the phone” however it still is eating 10gb of space…

I was hoping we could remove them all from his phone and just have the icloud backup copy since he appears to have paid for the 50gb storage option.

However I can’t see a button on the windows icloud app to remove photos from the phone or to double check they are backed up.. other than seeing how much space has been used on icloud?!

Any 3rd party apps better for the job on windows for removing photos from the phone and deleting them off the phone? I’m stumped coming from iPhoto…

Thanks

leffeboy

Don’t you just plug it into the computer by a cable and delete them that way?
    (Other techniques may be available)

somouk
    Free Member

I use one drive or dropbox to back photos up off the phone, it does a backup and then I can delete them off the phone when I don’t need them anymore.

alexxx
    Free Member

yeah there was a box on the windows native backup option that says erase after import however it just says “permission denied, try again” for the deleting part

Milkie
    Free Member

You can’t just delete the photos via explorer, but there are ways to do it.

Open Explorer, Right Click iPhone
    Select Import Pictures & Videos
    Check the Box “Always Erase from Device after Importing”

Import your photos and they will be erased from the iPhone after they have all been imported.

There is another way by disabling iCloud Photo Album, but I am not sure what else it may do.

plyphon
    Free Member

You can’t just delete the photos via explorer, but there are ways to do it.

You absolutely can.

Step 1: Don’t have iTunes installed.

2: Plug in phone. Click the “Allow device to access photos” popup on the iphone when it shows up

3: Go to my computer. Find the iphone as external storage alongside your HDDs/USB/whatever other stuff you have. You can also click the popup that comes up on your computer but ONLY after accepting on the iPhone first.

4: Double click to open and navigate to the photos on the phone. Theres only one file path you can follow.

5: Copy, cut, delete photos as you would any other file. I tend to copy + paste to backup, then delete as a separate action incase something goes wrong during cutting and they vanish.

I do this weekly (ish) with Windows 7. I don’t know if you can do it with iTunes installed, but I know it works without.

Windows just treats the phone as external storage.

Note: accepting the permission to browse files on the iphone is properly important to iOS security – as such it can be a bit fiddly if you try to access the phone too quickly. Sometimes it requires plugging in and out a few times. Usually it works first time for me tho.

STATO
    Free Member

How does that work when the hi res copy is on iCloud, does iCould keep its copy when you delete the los res on the phone. I suppose it depends if its a ‘backup’ or just stored.

spooky_b329

Anyone got a way to get a music clip/ringtone on to a iPhone 4s running iOS9, from a windows PC?

IPhone does not have an icloud account or iTunes as it’s a company phone.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Can’t you simply just swap the micro-SD card for one with more storage capacity?

slowoldman

Can you not copy the hi-res files in iCloud to the PC?

DezB
    Free Member

Can’t you simply just swap the micro-SD card for one with more storage capacity

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit 😉
    I’m sure there’s a web page where you can access your photos. I used it before I turned iCloud off because of all the stupid storage running out warnings.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Sorry. 😆

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Taking photos off iPhone on windows?!’ is closed to new replies.