Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Taking My Bike on a Plane…..??
  • grenosteve
    Free Member

Quick question, how do I insure my bike to take it on a plane? I want to take my Superlight on holiday in May, but I’m worried about it going missing or getting damaged…

I’ve been looking at travel insurance, but they often only cover up to £500 for equipment… Bike insurance doesn’t cover it because if it went missing, it would be unattended and not locked up.

Can I cover it on my house insurance? or is there a specific insurance I can use?

Edit: should say, I’ve risked it in the past, but I just cant afford to replace the Superlight if it went missing at the moment!

Thanks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Home insurance with away from home cover, used to be M&S. Had mine insured while sea freighted and on holiday in Oz.

Shred
    Free Member

CycloSure do travel insurance for bike events and bikes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    globalti
    Free Member

Check your home insurance – ours covers bikes under “unspecified possessions” but you’d need to check if that applies overseas.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Shred, Thanks that’s what I was after.

I found lots of other “cycling” insurers, but the small print always restricted the individual item value to £500.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Watching this with interest, had a very similar question that I just posted too!
    There’s certainly nothing in my policy to suggest Aviva wouldn’t cover it, but can never be too sure!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Reading the other post the only people who can answer are your insurers, if in any doubt ask for written confirmation.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

For info, I finally got through to Aviva who confirmed my policy would cover my bike for damage while in transit, either via courier or on a plane, so certainly worth checking with your own provider first.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Taking My Bike on a Plane…..??’ is closed to new replies.