• This topic has 21 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by igm.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Taking my 6 yr old to Les Gets – will he die?
  • igm

Actually I know the trails there reasonably well and he’ll be going down sensible stuff.

Full suss booked, big brother giving advice, starting to get excited now.

BoardinBob

Green on the chavannes should be fine. Didn’t do the Mont Chery one this year but was ok from memory.

stevextc
    Free Member

It really depends how well he listens ….

My 7yr old has problems listening…. I know we were doing one of the rougher parts of FOD (indeed we had to stop because adult an DH bike wiped out) and I told him to do a jump left or right convinced he’d die if he took the centreline (due to the landing and him being on a XC hard tail) … he completely ignored me and landed OK … but I don’t know how….

The biggest thing to watch out for IMHO are any landings where a smaller wheel just won’t roll if it lands first.
    Then it’s up to them listening …

igm

He’ll be rolling it. Greens and maybe a bit of blue.

The Chavannes green is one of my favourite trails. Picturesque and chilled for the most part. Nowt that’ll kill him.

Tracey

We took Abigale and Katie to Morzine and Verbier when Abigale was 6. Looking back I would probably do the same again. Dosent look to have done them any damage.

igm

Indeed.

His big brother was riding there at 8. I’m sure he’ll be fine.

dirtyboy

Nice riverside path ride from morzine to les gets for family type riding

Stoner
    Free Member

Nice riverside path ride from morzine to les gets for family type riding

Eh? Les gets is up there *wafts finger towards far side of pint of beer* and the river goes over there *prods pint in other direction *

The dranse trail goes up towards lac du mine d’or and down past St Jean d’Aulps but there’s no riverside route to les gets.

matt_outandabout

Enjoy…

dirtyboy

In that case, I stand corrected friends who live there told me that there’s a multiuse path that goes from the tennis courts/pool upwards. I dunno?

ade9933
    Free Member

Have fun. We’ll be heading out there shortly with my 2*10 & 8 yr olds.

The greens are pretty steep for greens but only in patches.

There is a riverside flat path with an overgrown little pump track down by Samoens which is fine for a nice picnic family ride.

Stoner
    Free Member

BTW there’s also a pump track just outside St Jean d’Aulps near the riverside path that goes down stream from morzine. Taking the boys there one day and will report back

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Went to Les Gets Cranworx woth my 7 yr old last year.
    Awesome place,can’t wait to go back.
    Tracks were great,my son struggled with the braking bumps,so we stopped a few times going down the tracks.
    Some footage here.

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/448170/

Stoner
    Free Member

there’s also a pump track just outside St Jean d’Aulps

Misapprehension. There’s not much pump track, the “parcours pump track” consists of a few logs in the grass next to the track 🙁

But as ever the dranse trail is perfect for the kids. Jr Jr even managed a good spill on a short but sharp downhill so he has now learnt modulated brake control…

Speeder

I’d say 6 ways a bit young but my lad gets pretty scared at anything out of his comfort zone. Loves pump tracks just gets massively intimidated by the downhills and forgets all the basics (like braking even).

If you’re son’s keen then why not?

Dango
    Free Member

Video of a mate (Alvar Coppard) following his son last week. His son is about 7 or 8 I think, Alvar is middle adged and broke his wrist in the video

Depends on the kids ability – this one has loads 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Good news!

There is a pump track now built next to the skate park in the sports area of town.

Bad news! Stoner Jr Jr didn’t make it around a single lap before doing this to himself. Doh.

matt_outandabout

Oh crap. Healing vibes to stoner_jr…

BoardinBob

We jumped onto the pump track, lasted about 2 feet before we realised it was lethal and jumped straight back off. Almost zero grip on it 😯

igm

Ouch. Feeling slight queasy on his behalf. At least the medical staff round there ought to know something about broken bones.

Are you staying out there or heading home?

Stoner
    Free Member

Nah we’re staying for another week. He’s not too bothered by it. Doc in the medical cabinet got it all reset nicely (LH photo) bit of an annoyance having a cast for the rest of the hols though. Means no rugby camp or tennis camp for the little fella.

igm

Let’s hear it for ski resort doctors. Not to good with eating disorders (except raclette abuse) but excellent with impact injuries.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Taking my 6 yr old to Les Gets – will he die?’ is closed to new replies.