Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • Taking little guy out of school for hols – advice needed please
  • SaxonRider

aracer – Member
    The question I have, if they're not missing much in those 2 weeks at the end of term, why don't the schools just finish term 2 weeks earlier, so everybody can have the extra time off?

I have exactly the same question. The schools in every country I have either lived in, or visited (and that's a few in both categories), conclude their years at the end of June – and earlier if they are IB schools. So why can't we?

But you ask that here, and you get such inane comments as 'it's about childcare', or 'that's what we've always done'.

Well, those extra weeks don't seem to be doing any good, do they?

In spite of the fact that some of the countries on that table start their kids out later in terms of age, spend fewer weeks in school per year, and don't have ministers that come up with new initiatives to 'improve' schools every week or so, they make it into the top ten in all three categories.

Of course, the answer in this country will be to force people into turning their kids over to the schools at an even earlier age, and keep them until August. Or h*ll, why not even all the year through?

And to think I was once told by my kids' headteacher that they didn't have time to teach foreign languages!

I don't doubt, mudpup, that if you explain things to your child, and talk to him on holiday, s/he will be better served there than in a classroom.

surfer
    Free Member

why don't the schools just finish term 2 weeks earlier, so everybody can have the extra time off?

Because the issue is with "winding down" (and "up")
    Prior to term end lots of things stop such as lunchtime clubs, after school activities, homework (and marking) etc. Which often means during the last few days classes involve a lot of video watching!
    Once back from holiday it always takes a unfathomable amount of time before these activities restart! which means missed time before, during and after holidays.

Oh and as for taking work etc on holiday, we always do this so dont tar everyone with the same brush.

By the way I have never taken my kids out of school but nor would I criticise those who do it.

mudshark
    Free Member

Well it seems to me the obvious answer to all this is to go on holiday in term-time, so getting the cheap prices, and leave the kids at home – best get a relative in to look after them though. Then in the holidays send the kids on some sort of holiday camp. Everyone's a winner….

tron
    Free Member

Depends very much on the head. My mum was a headteacher and would be fairly happy for people to take their kids on holiday whenever – on the basis that for a lot of families, it's the only chance they get, and the knowledge that realistically, 2 weeks extra schooling isn't going to change a kid's educational attainment. There's also the benefit of seeing another culture. FWIW, when she was a head she turned around several schools that were doing extremely badly, so she knows her stuff.

On the other hand, the head may view time spent in school as super important and not allow you to take the holiday.

RustySpanner

My partner is a teacher at a secondary school. She leaves for work at 7.30 in the morning and usually arrives home at 7.30 at night, after spending a good few hours after school "closes" preparing lessons, marking, preparing for OFSTED inspections and helping kids who couldn't attend lessons catch up with the work that they have missed.

We don't have a choice as to when we go on holiday – we'd love to go skiing, but can't afford it anymore because prices magically increase during the holidays.

If it's OK by the OP, we'd like a couple of weeks off next January to go skiing – could you please let me know which weeks you'll be available to cover her absences?

tron
    Free Member

Woop. Simple thing anyone considering teaching should do – ask a teacher what it's like. A great deal will tell you that it's a lot of aggro for not enough money…

mudpup
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – no offence but i do similar hours (perhaps a bit more in fact) but only get 4 weeks holiday per year. How much holiday does your partner get? Maybe 10 at a guess. How about a part time job in the extra 4/5 weeks or so to finance the holiday?

I am in the same boat re price increases but have significantly less flexibility it appears.

Nobby

Summer '08 we took our (then) 6 year old out of school for 8 days before the officlial start of the summer hols. The school were ok as we were honest but, as a kind of trade-off, we got him to do a short 'project' on his holiday including stuff about the place, the people, its wildlife & history. He got right into it taking a real interest in everything (and more photos than I thought possible). He learnt a lot, his writing/presentation improved & his teacher was so impressed it ended up in a display of pupils work for the next open day. There wasn't that much work involved & it gave him something to do when he was all sun, sea & sand'd out.

RustySpanner

mudpup, yep, you're right, she could.
    Problem is, a large proportion of the holidays she gets are also spent preparing lessons and marking.

Anyway, you tell her.
    I may be stupid, but I'm not THAT stupid. 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

I'm curious – do the inhabitants of stw-world see the annual 2 weeks foreign holiday in the sun as a right?

I never had a foreign holiday as a kid and believe I got a far better idea of the UK because of those domestic holidays. Were my parents bad people for not taking me to a scabby resort and getting whammed on cheap drinks for a fortnight each year? I need to know so I can change my views!

bruneep

I'm curious – do the inhabitants of stw-world see the annual 2 weeks foreign holiday in the sun as a right?

I never had a foreign holiday as a kid and believe I got a far better idea of the UK because of those domestic holidays. Were my parents bad people for not taking me to a scabby resort and getting whammed on cheap drinks for a fortnight each year? I need to know so I can change my views!

How I spend my money is up to me.

I have never been to a scabby resort or got whammed on cheap drinks for a fortnight each year.

mudpup
    Free Member

Too Tall – i too spent many years at UK resorts
    Thats why i want to go to Spain!
    And with the money i save taking jnr out in term time i can get whammed on mid priced drinks instead. In fact we can afford to get jnr whammed too!!! Hey lets all get whammed.

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Taking little guy out of school for hols – advice needed please’ is closed to new replies.