Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Taking kids out of school for holiday,any foolproof excuses ?
  • bigrich

shave his head, say he’s got leukemia,

konabunny
    Free Member

I wouldn’t mind, but 50% of his absence this year is due to the school’s own rules that if your child is sick they are not allowed back to school for 48 hours – i.e. Every absence is therefore minimum 2 days regardless of the sickness (fair enough if it’s something contagious, but there’s loads of stuff that isn’t, and the rule is still enforced. idiots).

Kids don’t get sick on Fridays or the weekend? :d

xiphon
    Free Member

bigrich ….thats a bit low!

bigrich

foolproof.

franksinatra

You have booked the holiday and are therefore going, with or without the schools permission.

We did something similar when our eldest was in P1. It wasn’t to take advantage of cheap holidays, but we needed to travel a long way to a family wedding in Bristol which was happening just few days before the end of term. Rather than travel back for a couple of days of school we made the most of it and stayed a few extra days. We did howover make a point of doing educational type stuff when away. We went to local museums, historical sites and the brilliant @Bristol. I’m not claiming that we were able to offer the same as school, but it just felt like the right thing to do. Our holidays are always busy and I know the kids get a lot out of them so I didn’t really feel at all bad about her missing school.

To put into context as well, she had never been late or missed any other days, including zero sickness.

My point, if you are going to take your kid out of school, make yourself feel better about it by making the most of the holiday ‘experience’

Gary_C

I was alwaeys off scoole for holideys owt off terme tyme. never did mye eduk..eddu…err, lurning any harme!

😉

hora
    Free Member

Speak to the Headmaster, explain its a one-off. You’ve not had a holiday for x amount of time and its the only time both parents can get off together. Explain you’ll make it as educational as possible however its a family-unit enjoying their time together.

If you lie say a family friend died. Nothing else would work.

Personally I think its not the correct thing to do. The first will have ear-ache but at least you are being honest and the Head will respect this. Plus your Son will learn that lies aren’t good.

As for anyone slagging you off- why should you overpay for a holiday? At least you are taking your son on a holiday. Alot of parents would rather drink the money.

franksinatra

Where are you going by the way? My views would change depending on where you are going? For example:

Alps = Acceptable
    Benidorm = unacceptable

Skye – Acceptable
    Barry Island = Unacceptable

and so on….

Mike_D
    Free Member

if your child is sick they are not allowed back to school for 48 hours

I think our school has this, but I’ve always taken “sick” to mean (and it would appear so do they) “actual vomiting”, which is fair enough 😉

School also seems to be pragmatic about the termtime thing as long as you don’t take the pee. Personally I see no harm in losing a week at the end of the summer term, they really, really don’t do much that week 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t like the rules or paying extra when it’s busy?

Should have tried these

konabunny
    Free Member

Speak to the Headmaster, explain its a one-off. You’ve not had a holiday for x amount of time and its the only time both parents can get off together. Explain you’ll make it as educational as possible however its a family-unit enjoying their time together.

If you lie say a family friend died. Nothing else would work.

Eh? The whole first paragraph you’re telling the OP to say is a lie!

antigee

some people do take it a bit far though – people up road have a flat in turkey and will usually add a couple of extra weeks to school holidays a couple of times a year so thats 4 weeks a year out of school – there lad is now 13
    i get puzzled by not being encouraged to take kids out of junior school to go skiing (great physical activity and have to speak some french)but at secondary am encouraged to send them

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Why worry, it’s only the kid’s education – and it’s not like you need much in the way of education to operate the drive through window in McDonald’s.

onehundredthidiot

Maybe I should try and take next week off. Then volunteer to take my lessons in mid-July to make up the time.

konabunny
    Free Member

Pfft – the school year is 39 weeks long. What does it matter if they miss out on 2.6% of the curriculum? I mean – you wouldn’t bitch if your pay packet was 2.6% short or if your internet connection was broken for nine days of the year or if you didn’t get a fortieth of the medication you needed.

konabunny
    Free Member

We did howover make a point of doing educational type stuff when away. We went to local museums, historical sites and the brilliant @Bristol.

Don’t you think you ought to be doing that for your offspring anyway?

nealglover
    Free Member

Alps = Acceptable
    Benidorm = unacceptable

That’s just your prejudice though.
    if you ignore your pre conceived ideas……

Alps = Loads of British “lads” on the lash in Morzine.
    Benidorm = cheap accomodation surrounded by nice hillwalking, loads of great villages to explore, nice family bike rides etc.

franksinatra

We did howover make a point of doing educational type stuff when away. We went to local museums, historical sites and the brilliant @Bristol.

Don’t you think you ought to be doing that for your offspring anyway?

You shouldn’t assume that we don’t.

konabunny
    Free Member

You shouldn’t assume that we don’t.

If you’re doing it anyway, you’re not doing anything extra, then!

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Taking kids out of school for holiday,any foolproof excuses ?’ is closed to new replies.