Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Taking kids out of school for holiday,any foolproof excuses ?
  • peasant
    Free Member

Just booked holiday to Greece 😯 last minute , fly out 2nd july , but will have to take my 14yr old out for a week ,any suggestions on what I can tell his school without getting a £50 fine ? your views would be helpful thanks

druidh
    Free Member

I’m sure he’ll appreciate you teaching him what lies are for.

soobalias
    Free Member

if you saved so much money, just pay the fine

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigblackshed

£50 fine?????

If the LEA want to fine you, ask if they will subsidise your holiday during August?

Edric64
    Free Member

Actually do some interesting historical stuff whilst there rather than lie on a beach or by a pool all day (Not saying that you do )

Kryton57

So you traded your kids education for a discounted holiday? I know times are hard and holidays in term time are expensive but…

Good luck

wors

,any suggestions on what I can tell his school

I’m taking my son out of school for a week!

xiphon
    Free Member

Due to hard times, you could only afford to take them on a much needed holiday during term time.

It’s for their health and mental well-being 😉

aP
    Free Member

Just don’t bother telling the school, although TBH I don’t really give a toss either way. 🙄

bruneep

what I can tell his school without getting a £50 fine

Must be an engerland thing

and what would happen if you chose not to pay the fine?

scratch
    Free Member

I’d answer but it’s taking me ages to climb up on to this massive horse….Its freakin huge!

Hang on……

vinnyeh

Don’t make any. It’s a decision you’ve made, and you just need to take any repercussions on the chin.

My eldest has just started school, and we’ve a holiday coming up that was booked before she decided she wanted to go to school- I felt really uncomfortable explaining this to the teacher, but my daughter tells me today that three kids in her class of 24 have returned from holiday today 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

vinnyeh – Member
    Don’t make any. It’s a decision you’ve made, and you just need to take any repercussions on the chin.

+1

mos

Why not ask them to contra the fine against the costs you incurred for child care when they went on strike/training days? Worked for my mate.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, tell them it’s France, not Greece. Broaden your vowels, lose the glottal stop and enthuse about how the holiday will be an education in itself. It’ll be a breeze.

luke
    Free Member

my kids school have a policy of no holidays in term time, spoke to the head who said write a letter explaining there going on holiday and can they have permission, she will decline and we still take the kids but they get marked as unauthorized absences so thats what we did.

PlopNofear
    Free Member

+1 what luke said. They can’t authorise time off but won’t do anything if you do take your child out.

project
    Free Member

Weird and novel idea schools actually showing an intrest in the kids. 😯

Obviously you could offer for the kids to come in when the teachers are off on long holidays ,but then they get paid enough to afford full price holidays.

DickBarton

It was cheaper so you couldn’t turn it down!

Drac

I’m taking my kids on holiday that week as that’s when the family holiday is so there will be no one at home to look after her.

peasant
    Free Member

Thanks for your replies ,seems the best thing to do is just go awol for a week,he is going to be marked unauthorized either way !

anagallis_arvensis

Why not ask them to contra the fine against the costs you incurred for child care when they went on strike/training days? Worked for my mate.

sure it did

bullheart
    Free Member

It probably didn’t. But I’ve no doubt he told you it did.

headfirst
    Free Member

Aged 14? Are they a young Year 10 student? If so have you checked with the school or Junior that there aren’t any Controlled assessments going on at that time? These are done in lesson times and count towards there final GCSE grade, very awkward for your kid if they’re not in school when these are happening.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

phone the school and tell them their sick!

peterfile
    Free Member

Well, tell them it’s France, not Greece. Broaden your vowels, lose the glottal stop and enthuse about how the holiday will be an education in itself. It’ll be a breeze.

(I really shouldn’t laugh, but that was excellent 😆 )

donsimon
    Free Member

Tell them the truth, I’m sure they’ll understand.
    We are all in it together, aren’t we?

rkk01
    Free Member

Yep, no fines in Wales.
    OTH councils around here are so disorganised thatt 2013 hols are all different. It’ll be no hols, extortionate child care or take out of school

franksinatra

phone the school and tell them their sick

I reckon your parents took you out of school quite often.

rkk01
    Free Member

Times have moved on IMO. Wouldn’t have happened when I was at school – but then again, most mothers stayed at home and child care didn’t cost £1000 per month….

Drac

Yep, no fines in Wales

Not heard of fines here either. So I guess it’s down to the county not the country.

Clink

You won’t get fined for one week – only 10 missed sessions. Normally have to reach 21(ish) – ie 2 weeks. It will just be coded as unauthorised holiday.

(unless of course your daughter already has low attendance?)

oddjob
    Free Member

phone the school and tell them their sick

I think you missed the point there, I hopefully they’re going to learn some grammar whilst they’re in their school over there.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I think you missed the point there, I hopefully they’re going to learn some grammar whilst they’re in their school over there.

😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

have you had any hols yet this academic year if not it will be down as code H – agreed family holiday – fill n a holiday form, done.

Clink

have you had any hols yet this academic year if not it will be down as code H – agreed family holiday – fill n a holiday form, done.

You’ll be lucky – suppose it’s where you live? Our guidance (Somerset) is not to authorise any holidays in term time, unless in extreme circumstance (not encountered anything that fits that criteria yet!). There has been a real crack-down.

restless
    Free Member

Aged 14? Are they a young Year 10 student? If so have you checked with the school or Junior that there aren’t any Controlled assessments going on at that time? These are done in lesson times and count towards there final GCSE grade, very awkward for your kid if they’re not in school when these are happening.

this would be my main worry too.
    otherwise , go on holiday and enjoy it. you wont get fine unless attendance is extremely poor.

konabunny
    Free Member

Why are you worrying? It’s not like they’ll be missing anything important. I don’t see why schools make such a big deal about absence. She can just do extra fingerpainting and embroidery when she gets back. It’s not like there is any structure or cumulative aspects to curricula…

…hold on a second, I need to give a sugar lump to this here Clydesdale…

joao3v16
    Free Member

I didn’t realise some schools could fine parents for taking their kids out of school ?!?!

Our sons school states that they allow up to 10 days discretionary absence per year – some parents seem to treat this as extra holiday entitlement and aim to use all of it 🙂

We took our son out of school for one day a couple of weeks ago for a Friday-Friday holidy the first week of half term.

One day.

Handed in the ‘request for absence form’, next day we got the reply slip back authorising the absence … but with a barely legible sribble saying ‘attendance must improve next term’ …

I wouldn’t mind, but 50% of his absence this year is due to the school’s own rules that if your child is sick they are not allowed back to school for 48 hours – i.e. every absence is therefore minimum 2 days regardless of the sickness (fair enough if it’s something contagious, but there’s loads of stuff that isn’t, and the rule is still enforced. idiots).

So they’re complaining about our sons absence despite half of his time off being due to their own flipping rules.

Idiots.

I was in half a mind to go to the office and have a polite rant at them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

MTFU?

Don’t complain about failing educational standards?

Tell them a cheap holiday is more important than anything they could teach your child?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Taking kids out of school for holiday,any foolproof excuses ?’ is closed to new replies.