Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 295 total)
  • Taking Kids on Holiday During Term Time — New Rules
  • RustySpanner

The only reason you can do it is because others don’t. That’s not really very fair

Some people thrive on exploiting others sense of fairness.
    Or weakness and stupidity, as they usually describe it.

See the recent TV licence thread for more examples.

jamj1974

The only reason you can do it is because others don’t. That’s not really very fair
    Some people thrive on exploiting others sense of fairness.
    Or weakness and stupidity, as they usually describe it.
    See the recent TV licence thread for more examples.

I wouldn’t say that is typical of me Rusty…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

True enough Rusty, the rest of us are left feeling like Kants

Perhaps not typical, but it seems to apply in the current situation

jamj1974

RichPenny – Member
    What are the stats like though? Is it something that’s gone from 1% to 20% over a decade?
    With the greatest respect, are you actually qualified to determine what the effects might be? I’m certainly not, which is why I was asking questions about what is behind these developments. I thought Nobbys view was very interesting.

You are right, I am not qualified to assess the impact and Nobby does make some good points.

It’s ot so much the impact that this has on your child that is the issue, for me. The issue is more about the principle of children being taken out of school,as the parents choose. School is not an individual activity taking you child out of class will have an effect on classmates.

But the greater point is that the impact is minimal if only a few people behave like this. The only reason you can do it is because others don’t. That’s not really very fair.

I think if many people decided to do it then it should be looked at again. I don’t take advantage of others and fairness is important to me. I don’t like the idea of taking opportunities myself that means others are denied. If this would be the case I would reevaluate my position significantly.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

But it seems clear that you don’t care if the teacher or school are inconvenienced as a result of you wanting to take your children out.
    Wheter or not they actaully are inconvenienced or to what extent, might be open to debate, but the point that you don’t actually care , is what is damning

jamj1974

I have undertaken my life with consideration towards others. I like to think I have had a positive impact on other people and given more than I’ve taken. I’m not really sure how by making a choice to take two holidays in term time that I have denied others the same chance.

jamj1974

I have undertaken my life with consideration towards others. I like to think I have had a positive impact on other people and given more than I’ve taken. I’m not really sure how by making a choice to take two holidays in term time that I have denied others the same chance.

RustySpanner

I wouldn’t say that is typical of me Rusty…

I didn’t say it was……

However

‘ Since most parents don’t take children out of school through choice the potential for disruption is slim.

J
    would tend to suggest that you are taking advantage of others honesty and sense of fairness to secure a financial advantage for yourself, whist hoping to minimise the disruption to the education of your child.

We all do it in certain situations.
    This is a pretty obvious example though, isn’t it?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I have undertaken my life with consideration towards others.

You keep saying this, why do you make an exception in this particualr case?

john_drummer
    Free Member

sorry, non-parent here.

you know the rules when you choose to have children. suck it up or tie a knot in it

jamj1974

would tend to suggest that you are taking advantage of others honesty and sense of fairness to secure a financial advantage for yourself, whist hoping to minimise the disruption to the education of your child.
    We all do it in certain situations.
    This is a pretty obvious example though, isn’t it?

Not sure it is obvious to me – I am not suggesting others should not do it or complaining about the disruption they might or might not cause. I am certainly not looking to financially advantage myself either. If it came to it and only a limited number of people could do it – I would happily draw lots for it or wait our turn.

You keep saying this, why do you make an exception in this particualr case?

Because that is not the way I am perceiving it perhaps?

MrSmith
    Free Member

your moral compass is broken

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Because that is not the way I am perceiving it perhaps?

But surely not caring if the school and teacher are put to inconvenience is not living your life with consideration for others?

jamj1974

MrSmith – Member
    your moral compass is broken

As is your sense of judgement in terms of scale and severity. I hardly think anything I have said here suggests that.

RustySpanner

jamj1974 – Member
    I am certainly not looking to financially advantage myself either.

ransos – Member
    So you’re saying that they’ll lose out unless they go on holiday in term time? How?

jamj1974 – Member
    Go for longer, go for more trips, actually afford to go to Italy for example…

If that’s not looking to give yourself a financial advantage, I honestly have no idea what is.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Perhaps not in that para, but you do here

I care not that it may inconvenience the school or the teacher.

Full disclosure

Fundamentally we take our children’s education seriously, seriously enough for most of the year that two-weeks abroad will and has not been affected by taking them out over the last two years. I care not that it may inconvenience the school or the teacher. As parents we do many things with the school where we spend our private time helping them. We spend a lot of time and effort supporting our children’s learning (including filling gaps left by the professionals). We don’t see schools as free child care either. For these reasons I do not see why the school or education authority should interfere with the holiday plans for my family.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and while you are enjoying your holiday, this poor kid who was paired with yours to do a project that week will have to do all the work himself, dropping his marks, reducing his ability to trust people and slowing his education down to the extent he doesn’t discover the universal cure for cancer but instead goes on a career in IT.

jamj1974

Perhaps not in that para, but you do here
    I care not that it may inconvenience the school or the teacher.

Somewhat shamedly I agree with you CharlieMungus. As I said earlier perhaps because I have not been having a positive experience with the head teacher. I was feeling just a little hot headed at that point… Spoken a little too hastily whilst I was annoyed about another school matter to be blatantly honest… Not particularly proud of that statement .

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Excellent! What do i win? 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

jamj1974

and while you are enjoying your holiday, this poor kid who was paired with yours to do a project that week will have to do all the work himself, dropping his marks, reducing his ability to trust people and slowing his education down to the extent he doesn’t discover the universal cure for cancer but instead goes on the a career in IT.

Ok, apart from the somewhat fantastical impact you may may have a point on the group project stuff Mike.

jamj1974

Nice profile pic Mr Smith! Didn’t realise you were famous…

Charlie you win a meal for two in a top restaurant with me. Not sure you will want to collect that one – bearing in mind your impression of me…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I do a great impression of you!

jamj1974

If that’s not looking to give yourself a financial advantage, I honestly have no idea what is.

Looking to spend less without that meaning others spend more as a result of your action is not seeking a financial advantage. So you not buy stuff in sales because others have paid full price. Your definition of financial advantage is decidedly skewed.

jamj1974

CharlieMungus – Member
    I do a great impression of you!

I may have given you enough material on one thread for a caricature…

MrSmith
    Free Member

Nice profile pic Mr Smith! Didn’t realise you were famous…

not me, i’m not famous enough to have an 8 page thread all about ME 😥

jamj1974

Neither am I – I’m not the OP…

aracer
    Free Member

Maybe you should have stopped after your finest contribution to this thread:

jamj1974 – Member
    Glitch

jamj1974

Maybe you should have stopped after your finest contribution to this thread:

And taken away everybody else’s fun…?

duckman

For those wanting to change the school day/term. My wife and I both work in rural-serving secondary schools,my wife especially is missing LOTS of kids this week as it is good harvesting weather. Up her we go back middle of August,back off for “tattie holidays” at end of this week. Of course with the holidays being a week late we also have lots (perhaps 5%)who are on holiday because the October holidays are a week later than usual this year….(Some have informed the school it was their fault for changing the week of the October holidays,which to be fair they did…in 2011) As a rule, it is pointless trying to get folio/NAB work done etc for last two weeks of term,as their is a mindset,I have to say especially of the better-off kid’s parents,that last two weeks of term are fair game. When would you like you children tested; after 9 weeks of working on a topic,when the lessons are fresh in their mind,they have the opp to attend study support/chap a teachers door for help,or after they have had a weeks holiday with parents followed by two weeks term holidays?

KennySenior
    Free Member

Regardless of whether he’s right or wrong about his rock pools and so on, the polite and dignified manner in which jammasterjay1974 has conducted himself throughout the thread certainly stands out. Perhaps his kids won’t turn out to be little brats after all 😉

anagallis_arvensis

Nobby not sure how you failed to understand my point about private schools having longer holidays. You raise an interesting point re grammar schools and day length but I’m not sure how appli able tbat would be ina comp. Grammar school kids have better attention spans.
    Thers no doubt kids get tired during long terms and later in the day. More hours of schooling a day would only work imo if it was following an extended hour ot two break in the afternoon….not that I want a longer day myself. 7:30 – 5ish plus an hour or so later is more than enough for me.

duckman

Looks at 5am spelling and grammer and awaits flaming 😳

russianbob
    Free Member

Nobby – It clearly says that the decision lies with the head teacher, but the that fine is enforced by the local authority. Only UNAUTHORISED absences will be fined, so it absolutely IS in the hands of the school. If a head teacher authorises the absence you’ll be dandy, I’m aware that this is only supposed to be authorised in ‘exceptional’ circumstances, but it’s still within the gift of the head teacher to decide whether such a request is ‘exceptional’ or not. My point is, that if you don’t ask, you don’t get. But if you don’t get, you respect that decision.

You say you’ve been in school lately, you work in education then do you? Or you just know a few teachers?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Grammar school kids have better attention spans.

Oooh! That sounds interesting. I’d like to read more about that. Can you point me at the source?
    What do they mean by ‘better’ just longer or more focused?

anagallis_arvensis

Both, I have no data to back it up though just teaching experience in comps, those kids who are at the same level as grammar school kids within a comp will work harder for longer than those who wouldnt habe got near grammar school levels.

miketually
    Free Member

Not read any of the thread other than:

There’s no doubt kids get tired during long terms and later in the day.

I teach in a sixth form college. My physics students are incredibly bright kids who absolutely would have been capable of getting into a grammar school if we had them locally.

Our timetable extends to 4:10, so an hour later than most schools. Our Autumn term starts two weeks earlier than most schools and so is longer than most schools.

My students are pretty knackered by the end of the day, and it gets worse as we go through the term. This is despite them being in fewer lessons per day that pre-16 students.

I can only imagine how they’d be with a fuller timetable, and if they were younger or less able.

My own kids are 8 and 10; they’re are exhausted by the end of the school week and get worse as the term progresses.

Longer school days and longer school terms would result in kids being more tired and learning less well.

Nobby

anagallis_arvensis – Member

Nobby not sure how you failed to understand my point about private schools having longer holidays. You raise an interesting point re grammar schools and day length but I’m not sure how appli able tbat would be ina comp. Grammar school kids have better attention spans.
    Thers no doubt kids get tired during long terms and later in the day. More hours of schooling a day would only work imo if it was following an extended hour ot two break in the afternoon….not that I want a longer day myself. 7:30 – 5ish plus an hour or so later is more than enough for me.

Sorry, it was me being thick.

The few I know that are in or have been to private schools always had a longer school day than the local comp and my understanding was that this is where the longer hours/longer holidays idea was ‘borrowed’ from.

FWIW, 3 local comps (now academies) all do this & it works well enough.

Nobby

russianbob:

I have been a school governor for a number of years and have lived through the fast changing politics & regs thrust upon the sector by successive Gov’ts.

The new regulations do not allow Headteachers any leeway with regards to Holidays:

The Education (Pupil Registration) (England) Regulations 2006 currently allow headteachers to grant leave of absence for the purpose of a family holiday during term time in “special circumstances” of up to ten school days leave per year.

Amendments to the 2006 regulations remove references to family holiday and extended leave as well as the statutory threshold of ten school days. The amendments make clear that headteachers may not grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances.

From 1st September they are not allowed to permit ‘Holidays’. There is, we have been advised a route of appeal to the LA but this is also unlikely to get anywhere unless there are extreme circumstances – the examples we were given are along the lines of ‘terminal illnesses’ and even those would require evidence!

colp

the examples we were given are along the lines of ‘terminal illnesses’ and even those would require evidence!

Yeah, that’s right, just, uh, roll her old bones on over here, and I’ll dig up your daughter. You know that’s school policy.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 295 total)

The topic ‘Taking Kids on Holiday During Term Time — New Rules’ is closed to new replies.