Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Taking kids for jabs
  • maxray
    Free Member

So, has anyone got any tactics for taking little’uns for jabs? Got to take my 3 year old for a booster jab and shes of an age now where she will be annoyed and probably blame me for letting the nasty man stick needles in her!

boxelder

Tell her truth and buy a small present (or a gag and blindfold). It was the howling and wailing of the previous patient that freaked our daughter.

wwaswas

no real advice, sorry.

My wife was getting out the car with our then 4 year old son when he suddenly ran towards our house shouting

‘Help! It’s the needle lady!’

He’d spotted the nurse from our GP’s surgery who’d given him his jabs nearly a year earlier.

Best thing to do is explain why it’s being done but don’t focus too much on the fact it’ll hurt. And dose them up with calpol before you go…

Nomad
    Free Member

Took my son for his booster when he was that age. He was very brave but cried a little afterwards. However it broke my heart when he looked up at me and asked with teary eyes “daddy, why did that man want to hurt me?”

He got spoiled rotten for the rest of the day!

uplink
    Free Member

shes of an age now where she will be annoyed and probably blame me for letting the nasty man stick needles in her!

They get over it in minutes
    walk in, quick distraction tactic – job done

You wait till she’s 16, she’ll blame you for everything 😀

maxray
    Free Member

😀 yeah cheers uplink.. busy building a tower to lock her in once she gets to that age.

Havent mentioned it at all yet, was going to just say we had to pass by the doctors and then offer a treat afterwards.

Or I could tell her to childTFU 😀

Hohum
    Free Member

Of the 3 of mine my son was the worst for not liking the jags.

The two girls seemed to get over it much better.

Honesty is the best policy and then big cuddles afterwards.

jp-t853

Honesty is best. Tell them what is going to happen. Tell them to look at something away from the needle so they don’t know when it starts. Big cuddle afterwards.

carlosg
    Free Member

Haribo is your friend ! , when I took Luke for his jabs all he said was ‘OW’ and that was just the last one , he’s a tough little sod no doubt.

antigee

have a very brave eight yr old who has regular injections/blood tests the “it’s not going to hurt” line is worse thing that can be said and I always tell any new person “no surprises please explain what you are going to be doing”

“its not going to hurt for long” and some sort of reward afterwards

maxray
    Free Member

Well there you go they can be quite surprising! Not a whimper and she even smiled at the nurse as she did the second jab.

What a brave little girl. 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

🙂

mrchrispy

our little one was getting very excited about getting his boost, daft sod hadn’t a clue what was comming.
    well the big day came and he got went too pleased when it dawned on him what was going on, poor bugger.
    cuddles and cake afterward help.

he did take great pleasure in well his little sister wat she had coming. we had to drag her from under a chair and pretty much hold here down.

what fun

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Taking kids for jabs’ is closed to new replies.