Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Taking drugs in the the USA
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Anyone know what the deal is with taking (legal!)drugs into the USA. I’m looking at carrying some 30/500 cocodamol, ibuprofen, and some (possibly) steroid based nasal spray as I’m going to be a week into the wilderness and don’t want to get caught out without painkillers for my potential back issues or unable to sleep because I can’t breathe through my nose. I know the spray may be available over there but I’m not sure. Will I need a prescription for opiate based painkillers or nasal sprays? (I can get one but it’s a royal PITA and means taking time off work to get it, ironically for the nasal spray (which is an OTC item here) because the doc wants to check I’m not going to kill myself with beconase 🙄 )

crikey
    Free Member

I would take a direct approach; find a pharmacy in the town or city you will be heading for, and call them up directly.

I’ve no actual idea, but I suspect taking any opiate based medication through US customs may be a problem.

crikey
    Free Member

Try typing ‘what medication can I take to the US’ into google for more sensible answers than mine.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Homeland Security is now watching this thread with interest.

boblo
    Free Member

I wouldn’t take Cocodamol, you’ll need Bobby Brown to help you poo….. Also, Naproxen is available in quantity and cheaply over the counter and is better for the stomach than Brufen.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I tried typing it into google, and asking the pharmacy – neither give sane answers. Pharmacy say don’t know, docs not sure either. Google tells me conflicting info – one US govt. report says you only need to worry if it’s one of a few listed drugs, then the border control site says pretty much anything should be accompanied by it’s original bottle and a prescription.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I wouldn’t take Cocodamol, you’ll need Bobby Brown to help you poo

About my only choice when my lower back goes into spasm. I have co-dydramol left over from other sources which I use when I’m stuck but I won’t be taking that 🙂 Never have any notable issues anyway, and would only help when wild-camping lol.

As for ibuprofen – never had an issue with it even when taken for a month at max dose.

boblo
    Free Member

Dr can prescribe Tramadol, it has less (concrete) effect. I’ve not had a problem with Brufen either but is is recognised as being stomach unfriendly which Naproxen isn’t . Your stomach, your choice… Incidentally, max Brufen dose is 2400mg p/day.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Prescription of anything I’ve not had before won’t happen, my docs is paranoid about prescribing anything more than paracetamol and requires me to visit for anything new and I can’t get the time off work for that. Not sure about the max possible dose but recommended max is 2x200mg 4x a day IIRC, according to the packet anyway? Makes fudge-all difference to the pain but seems to ease the mobility a little.

crikey
    Free Member

Um, Naproxen is an NSAID, and will mess up your stomach just as effectively as Brufen. Folk don’t get as many cardio events with Naproxen, but to claim it’s better than brufen for stomachs is perhaps not correct…

boblo
    Free Member

That’s interesting Crikey. My Quack prescribed it last year when I had an ITB problem on the basis it was better for the belly. Plonker…. 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Annoying thing is I only want to take them just in case I have a problem but I have to record it in my travel insurance as actually taking them.

boblo
    Free Member

Well if you do take that lot you’ll grow norks, poo concrete and mebbies some blood. Niiiiiice. 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

“Any individual who has in his/her possession a controlled substance listed in schedules II, III, IV, or V, which he/she has lawfully obtained for his/her personal medical use, or for administration to an animal accompanying him/her, may enter or depart the United States with such substance notwithstanding sections 1002-1005 of the Act (21 U.S.C. 952-955), provided the following conditions are met:

(a) The controlled substance is in the original container in which it was dispensed to the individual; and
    (b) The individual makes a declaration to an appropriate official of the Bureau of Customs and Border Protection stating:
    (1) That the controlled substance is possessed for his/her personal use, or for an animal accompanying him/her; and
    (2) The trade or chemical name and the symbol designating the schedule of the controlled substance if it appears on the container label, or, if such name does not appear on the label, the name and address of the pharmacy or practitioner who dispensed the substance and the prescription number.

Take it in the original container. Take a copy of the prescription. As for ibuprofen – go to a local WalMart and buy a tub of ‘Equate Ibuprofen’. You’ll get 500 of the 200mg for $7, which is an awful lot cheaper than buying them here.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’d just take a copy of your prescription with you. Used to take 6 months worth of medication into the states and never had it questioned.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

This is USA were talking about here. You can buy painkillers over the counter that kick co-codamol in the c**t!

And you’ll get a free rifle when you buy 2 packs

onehundredthidiot

Why wouldn’t you take the original prescription with any drug? Worst case scenario they know what you are on.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Idiot-did you not read the first post? I have to take time if work to get a docs appt and I can’t do that, Im already pushing my luck taking 17 days off 14 days into my contract. Plus, if I can help it I would rather it wssnt on my record really because it is only a precaution but will affect my insurance for the next 5 years but the only way to takevthem in is with prescription.

I tried to find the schedules from the list above but got many differing results.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m surprised that no-one has prescribed a healthy dose of MTFU yet..

coffeeking
    Free Member

Tried that, didn’t work. I m’d the f up but still couldn’t walk. Won’t do much good while kayaking, not the mist lumbar friendly sport!

onehundredthidiot

Well in that case if in doubt don’t risk it. You’ll just need to get to a pharmacy there. They have some pretty impressive painkillers. Just maker sure to not bring them back to uk, fir the same reason.
    As for the nasal spray as its opiate based do you really want to risk it? At best it’ll flag up and they’ll see it’s medical but even then I reckon they’d confiscate it without a script. If its OTC there then do that.
    Why would it affect the insurance? Surely if it’s needed it’s needed and you should declare that just to be on the safe side.
    Oh and I’d take more notice or the border list than the other. Better safe than standing naked in a room full of border guards.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Taking drugs in the the USA’ is closed to new replies.