Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Taking cash to Thailand and getting the best rate.
  • godzilla
    Free Member

Off to Thailand in a few weeks and was wondering if you guys have have any tips for taking cash, I’m unsure wether to take cash £ or $, travellers cheques or use the post office prepaid card.
    The £ is very strong against the Baht at the moment and I want the most out of it.

TheFlyingOx

We were there a couple of years back, and there always seemed to be a better rate for cash £ rather than travellers cheques. There is an inherent risk in taking cash though, and I wouldn’t assume it’ll be safe to keep it either on your person or in a hotelroom safe.

DougD

I took a few $ over there as they’re always easy to exchange, also whent to Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and Singapore and you can use them insead of the local currency easily too.

In terms of exchanging over here, work out what you’ll get at the current exchange rate for GBP to THB (c. 54.33) then shop around at a few travel agents etc. and barter with them. Also have a look at Money Saving Expert Currency Convertor.

Not used the post office card so can’t comment on that.

We just used the atms over there as we had a Nationwide account which didn’t charge you for overseas withdrawals and you got a really good rate.

ericemel
    Free Member

If you take GBP with you you will get about 10% better rate there

trail_rat
    Free Member

travel all over the world with work – to places you mostly wouldnt dream of going on holiday.

the only time ive taken more than 50 dollars with me (emergency funds as dollars work everywhere) was to turkmenistan where they explicitly state there are no cash machines outside of ashgabat and its a cash only culture.

the rest of the time i just use my nationwide card to take it out the bank. in Baku i was able to withdraw from the bank at their rate and sell back when i left for a higher rate at the bureau de change….

jamiep
    Free Member

Debenhams is the cheapest for exchanging money. There is a money saving expert link which also gets you a free £5 voucher to spend on that day

thekingisdead
    Free Member

While it’s always nice to know you’ve got the best deal on any transaction, don’t forget the difference between a market leading rate and not is a tiny percentage of the overall cost of the holiday.

I just use a fx card now and forget about whether I’ve got the best rate or not.

Have a good holiday – great country

godzilla
    Free Member

Awesome, good advice, pretty much what I expected, I’m going to take bit of cash and a some cards, it was seven year since I was there last and I couldn’t remember if it was Pounds or dollars the exchange preferred.

DT78
    Free Member

Get yourself a Halifax credit card for use abroad, and take a small amount of cash £300 or so

godzilla
    Free Member

Why Halifax?

nick1962
    Free Member

Why Halifax?

Special ladyboy discount (for Yorkshiremen)

DT78
    Free Member

Halifax is one of the best cards for use abroad. Check out moneysavingexpert…

DT78
    Free Member

I didn’t ask about the special ladyboy discount. Dammit.

godzilla
    Free Member

Ladyboy discount will come in handy, last time my girlfriend spent a fortune on them, including our taxi fare one night (true story:)
    I will look into the Halifax card, isn’t the Clarity card.

chewkw
    Free Member

I take cash then exchange it at some local currency exchange shops as they have better rates then the bank. Only do this if you know the place well. 🙂

J-R

I travel quite a bit and rely exclusively on a Halifax credit card for getting foreign cash from an ATM when abroad. If you get the right credit card it’s by far the best rate, much better than an exchange bureau:

http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/

wolvesdug
    Free Member

I go to South East Asia every year and use this https://www.caxtonfx.com/ and take cash. You always get a better deal with cash.

Moses

But there’s certainly no point in taking $ then changing them to Baht – you’re just giving two sets of commission away

footflaps

I travel with work and often take a load of $100 bills and change them for local currency on the street e.g. Taxi drivers often give you a better rate than banks etc. Larger denomination bills tend to get a better rate (as they’re easier to smuggle out the country, which is where your bills go).

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Bring some pounds but, as others said, use a cash point. I think Nationwide charge for international withdrawals, but it’s a pretty small amount.

Often, credit cards work out best and give you peace of mind re. insurance.

If you’re going to bring notes, bring new twenty pound notes. The banks here are funny about accepting fifties and any even slightly damaged notes.

Where are you going?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Again another work traveler, never bother with cash these days, too much hassle and risk. The rate difference is not enough to be an issue and pre-load CC’s or zero fee ones work. I have a couple of Frequent Flyer cards that have pre paid local currency accounts on them rates not the best but no fee’s and points to be earned.

godzilla
    Free Member

Good idea about the notes, off to krabi.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Why Halifax?

the Clarity card gives fee-free foreign exchanges.

Only slightly marred by them blocking your card the first time you try to use it abroad and you rack up £20 in roaming charges trying to sort it out 🙄

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I travel with work and often take a load of $100 bills and change them for local currency on the street e.g. Taxi drivers often give you a better rate than banks etc”

just dont tell your work that ….. if its anything like mine they are strong on corruption and black market trading.

footflaps

just dont tell your work that ….. if its anything like mine they are strong on corruption and black market trading.

This is Africa, you can’t get anything done without bribery and corruption, it’s how the whole continent works……

The whole thing is such a farce, all overseas companies in Africa bribe people, they just all pretend they don’t.

trail_rat
    Free Member

just dont get caught telling folk you do it was where i was going ….

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Card and cashpoint all the way and has been for many years. MSE to find the best one.

However, I always try to carry a couple of $50 bills for emergencies – you can spend/change them nearly anywhere and just occasionally you end up out of cash and without a cashpoint. We crossed from Malaysian Borneo to Indonesian Borneo on a tiny plane late in the evening after the banks had closed, cashpoints wouldn’t take our cards etc etc.

Flying into any major airport I just pick up cash after I collect my bags.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Taking cash to Thailand and getting the best rate.’ is closed to new replies.