Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Taking care of bike.
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

What do you do and use regularly. For your frame bearings, shock, dropper and forks. Anything else for that matter. Just wondering if there’s anything I’m not doing, or especially a product I’m missing especially for shock and bearings.

Garry_Lager

Do next to fk all, tbh with you – at least as far as the things you mention go.

I will change a bearing or a bushing pretty sharpish once it starts to go, and I’ll buy decent bearings in the first place, but that’s about it. Maybe give the forks get a biennial service.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I took my forks to get serviced once, does that count?

sirromj

Here’s the forks I took off my 5 day-a-week-all-year-round commute HT:

– thought I’d give them their first service after two years.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

What about regular oiling, greasing etc?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Only my moustache

sirromj

I’m going to be wiping stanchions and giving them a quick lube with float-fluid etc a lot more regularly now.

ajantom

Silicone spray – Fork juice or the Muc-off stuff. Wipe down seals on the fork (and rear shock if I’m on the full sus) and then spray a bit on and cycle the forks/shock a couple of times.

Apart from that, this time of year it’s wipe chain and give it a quick oil before each ride.

tjagain

Putoline chain wax on the chain – once every few hundred to thousands of miles. Annual fork oil change. every two years fluid change in the brakes. MIdddleburn cable oilers on gear cables get a squirt every few months. annual oil change in the rohloff / alfine hubs.

Can’t remember the last time I replaced any drivetrain parts or brake pads – both last thousands of miles.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Well I change the fluids in the air can of my shock every three years, whether it needs it or not (I won’t wait that long next time).

Forks get a full service every year because they’re RS and it’s piss easy, the oil came out looking like new and the seals were visuably unworn.

I had the open bearings in the lower linkage on VPP Tracer 275 – the guy who sold it to me says the grease port thing isn’t really UK ready. They’ve been faultless ever since.

Other than that not much, I replace bearings when they die, the chain and cassette are 14 months old and I haven’t changed either yet. I don’t fit invisiframe stuff, it’s covered in scratches, or ‘character’ as I like to call it.

It’s used 2-3 times a year in summer and once a week in winter and I live in South Wales so it sees a fair share of treatment.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Okay, so is there a good product for putting on forks, dropper, shock etc?

yoshimi

Okay, so is there a good product for putting on forks, dropper, shock etc?

Juice Lubes Silicone Spray, Muck-Off Silicone spray etc

tjagain

lidl silicone spray

nwmlarge
    Free Member

You would be much much better off getting your forks, dropper and Shock serviced regularly than kidding yourself a spray on lube is going to save the day. If you are not sure what regular is then consult manufacturers or your local service agent.
    Consider the total replacement costs of any of those items.

Keep your bike clean and change parts when they start to show the first signs of wear, the longer you leave things like chains, cassettes etc the more likely you are to be wearing other components.
    Chain checker is about £2-4 Lube £2-5.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Taking care of bike.’ is closed to new replies.