Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Taking break from training… rapid weight loss,
  • DT78
    Free Member

Saw my GP this morning.

I picked up a nasty gastro bug a couple of months ago which laid me up for 3 days of not being able to eat or drink much. Since then I’ve lost weight rapidly, and I’m not trying to. 10kg from 85ish to 73.9 this morning, just shy of 6′. I would say muscles mass loss as well as fat as my arms and legs have got significantly smaller. Typically I’m doing 8ish hours cycling a week (peaking at 13-14)

Thing is other than occasional dodgy stomach/toilet issues (which I’ve had long term I thought a wheat intolerance), I’ve been feeling fine, in fact pretty damn good, I’m posting PRs all over the place. But, clothes are now too big, people at work are noticing the weight loss. I agreed with the wife if my weight went below 75kg I’d get it checked out.

Bloods are fine, celiac screen (which I was worried it might be) is clear. Doc says he thinks I haven’t properly recovered from the virus and I’m in a cycle of not taking on enough nutrients. He has advised a complete break from training and to eat 5000+ calories per day.

Luckily I’ve got a 2 week holiday in the US coming up so his advice shouldn’t be particularly hard to follow.

It doesn’t sound like overtraining or the like, and I eat whenever I’m hungry, and I eat a lot. Though to be fair minimal carbs (due to suspected wheat intolerance)

Of course, I will take the GP’s advice, but I’m concerned about losing my new found fitness that I’ve been enjoying so much recently so half of me is thinking about the hotel gym for an hour in the morning and I really don’t want to eat complete rubbish for 2 weeks. Last time I had more than 5 or so days off training was Feb.

Sorry for the ramble – anyone else has a similar issue, how did you handle it ?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I had 3 weeks off the bike at the end of my season last year (not through choice, it was my coach’s decision). I was miserable and lost what felt like tons of fitness. I think it’s the longest time I’ve ever had off the bike since I first started riding. But time off the bike and total rest is normal if you race seriously throughout the season – you have to come down to let the body recover and then start building base fitness, and mentally you need a break from training too (even if you don’t feel like it!). It came back pretty quickly once I’d got back into structured training again and I don’t think I lost as much as I thought I did either. I know some riders who have 4 – 6 weeks off at the end of the season and they are on amazing form from March – September.

I struggle with that side of things, mostly I hate being inactive, I like riding my bike for all sorts of reasons more than just training for racing and hate being told not to, and I also hate losing the fitness I’ve worked so hard to build up.

If you keep going hard now, you’ll end up peaking in Dec/Jan which is fine if its cx, but if its TT/RR’ing, you’ll be knackered by mid season. Focus on getting better.

oldejeans
    Free Member

I had a similar experience, lost 4-5kg – down to 58kg (!), post-infection IBS. Staying properly hydrated was difficult. Horrible mouthfeel for weeks. Felt weak. I usually do 4-8 hrs a week. I did quite a few big rides when I perhaps shouldn’t have done. I tried to limit certain foods (cereals, fructose-rich stuff, no idea if it made a difference) and eventually was able to start eating a bit more than normal. The muscle mass came back very quickly though.

weeksy

Any way I can come over and see if I can contract this by sitting near you ?

DT78
    Free Member

Believe me, the 1 day where I didn’t eat or drink anything because I felt like I was going to die, followed by 2 days where I slept in the bath wouldn’t be worth it…

re training, I’m not following a proper period based plan, just trying to be consistent with a mixture of long rides and interval based stuff. No specific target for next season as I’m just trying to get to a point where I think proper structured training is the next step, I’m thinking spring XC series are likely.

When I compare myself to others my training commitment is about half theirs – Aug 27:17, july 37:56 and june 36:26, and I’m still light years slower than the top guys (getting lapped 3 times at BBD despite feeling great and far outstripping mate who last year was about the same pace…)

Reckon I’ll take a break from cardio as advised, start eating properly and try to regain some mass. Maybe with some light weight training in the hotel gyms to keep myself occupied. Going to start keeping a detailed log to try to find out what is causing the tummy upsets…might be exercise, might be a limited intolerance

Off to buy some pork pies…

akak
    Free Member

Not had the weight loss but suspected wheat intolerance going back a few years. Tested negative for everything the doc could think of. Currently back on wheat but 100% off oats which is both easier and more successful.

john_l
    Free Member

Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about it if you’re feeling good. 74kg is still about 11.5st? Easy to do if you’re not eating a lot of carbs & nothing wrong with it either as long as you don’t feel you’re losing muscle mass.

I’m 5’9″ & lost a stone (down to 9.5st) in the last 4 mths after cutting out wheat, dairy & sugar. Feel great, strong & healthy but of course people are going to comment on what they think is significant weight loss.

Obviously be sensible about it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Taking break from training… rapid weight loss,’ is closed to new replies.