Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Taking Bikes with Emirates
  • footstomper
    Free Member

Anyone had any experience with taking bikes onto Emirate Airlines? Booked to go to New Zealand to visit my Son & plan on doing lots of Biking whilst there, always prefer to take our own bikes as hiring can be a pain & not many shops have decent bikes.
    When booking it does not give the option to add extra luggage, so I gave them a call earlier & was told that the weight allowance of 30kg could include a bike bag as well as suitcase but anything over that would be charged @ £47.50 per kg 😯
    I was hoping someone had used this service and maybe the lady on the phone got the costs wrong (Fingers Crossed 😕 )

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The excess has gone up since I got stung…

Yep 30kg limit I can normally get mine packed to 23 in the Evoc so it doesn’t leave much. Most of the long hauls don’t do much more but some do. Not much help as you have booked. Posting is an option as you will have his address etc.
    I sent 7 bikes with transglobalexpress when I emigrated to Oz

mrjmt
    Free Member

Yep, took mine to australia with them.

Correct it forms part of your luggage allowance.

Dont forget you’ve got a decent hand luggage allowance with them too, I took a large rucksack with most of my clothes in as hand luggage, helmet strapped to that.

I was over on the way back, but the guy at the desk was pretty relaxed and I was clearly worn down from carrying all my luggage and a bike so said it was no problem.

Not sure about NZ but certainly for Oz they’re fairly keen on your bike being clean before they let you in with it. I just stripped and cleaned it and took new tyres, got let through no problems.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Extra bit I think the only way to get more luggage is to upgrade to business – probably cheaper than the excess 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not sure about NZ but certainly for Oz they’re fairly keen on your bike being clean before they let you in with it. I just stripped and cleaned it and took new tyres, got let through no problems.

Scrub properly…
    New rubber, under the seat, inside the steerer and make sure you know where your shoes are to show them those too (again clean or they will get dipped)

stevious

If you’re planning on biking in Rotorua / Queenstown then there are loads of good hire places with decent bikes. Other places less so (although ChCh had a couple of places you could use).

As for Emirates – I seem to remember there being a website you can use to purchase additional allowance up front – you just put in how much extra nd the will calculate the cost for you. I also seem to remember it being quite expensive per kg for that flight.

http://www.emirates.com/uk/english/plan_book/essential_information/baggages/purchase_additional_baggage_allowance/purchase_additional_baggage_allowance.aspx

antigee

think you can prebook your excess on Emirates online as part of the confirmation / seat booking / god this takes ages process but its not a great deal – less 10% on the desk rate from memory

footstomper
    Free Member

Thanks for the Replies, might have to look at hiring after all 🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Where are you heading?
    Roto is about $100/day (NZ) for a decent reign if you do a few days. If your lad is sorted out then he should have lots of decent Kiwi mates who can probably hook a bro up bro….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Taking Bikes with Emirates’ is closed to new replies.