Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Taking bikes on Arriva Wales train
  • alfabus
    Free Member

I’m trying to book for two of us to take bikes on the train from swansea to fishguard in a couple of weekends time – we’re going to ride back via sustrans 4 over the weekend.

I tried booking with cycle places on the east coast trains website (as per loads of recommendations on here), but it said there weren’t any available.

So I tried ringing the AWT phone line, where a very nice woman in india told me that they didn’t have any available, so I should go to my local station to book it.

I don’t understand. If there aren’t any available, why will going to the station help?

I’m going to do it anyway, because I really need to get that train (the next one is 4 hours later and buggers our plans).

Is there any hope?

Dave

davidjey
    Free Member

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/Bicycles/

You’ve probably already seen that.

Experience with Arriva Trains Wales in the real world for me has always been hop on without a reservation, no problem.

mikey3
    Free Member

I,ve always just taken my bike on without booking aswell,but that was the swan-card route and the bike was,nt loaded up.

fandango
    Free Member

As above, I have just hopped on with the bike. Admittedly when I do it is usually an early train and as ever I think they have the right to refuse the bike.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Yeah you’ll be fine.

Most of the trains have a dedicated cycle area which tends to be at the end of a carriage by the toilets – sometimes get filled up with shopping or prams first but usually no probs.

Pigface
    Free Member

I regularly jump on at Swansea and go out to Burry Port or Kidwelly and ride back no problems actually never been asked for my ticket either 🙂

alfabus
    Free Member

well, i’ve just nipped out to the station and bought my ticket.

the ticket bloke said that the train I want is a non-reservable train, so I can’t reserve bikes or seats, just first come, first served.

That goes against what AWT’s cycle policy says, but nevermind… I’ll give it a shot.

We’re catching the train before 8am on a Saturday, so it shouldn’t be too busy!

Cheers everyone,
    Dave

rhysw
    Free Member

Im a driver for ATW and i’d say you’ll be fine. Just try and avoid the 7-9am and 4-7 busy trains.

alfabus
    Free Member

Just try and avoid the 7-9am and 4-7 busy trains.

I take it you mean on weekdays? Will we be OK on a Saturday morning?

Dave

rhysw
    Free Member

Where you getting on to start you trip?

davidjey
    Free Member

At that time you’ll be fine. I regularly do Cardiff Central-Port Talbot at 4PM on a weekday on a little two carriage ATW train. Never been turned away with the bike.

alfabus
    Free Member

Where you getting on to start you trip?

swansea

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Taking bikes on Arriva Wales train’ is closed to new replies.