Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Taking apart superstar switch evo hubs
  • dan1980
    Free Member

I need to replace the bearings on my superstar switch evo front hub, and so far I’ve only got as far as removing the two plastic “tall top hat” seals that pull out of the hub. Now I’m stuck!

Has anyone got any tips on what to do next? There’s lots of info on the rear hub, but none that I can find on the front.

It seems that there’s a metal “short top hat” (more a pork pie hat to be honest) rotating atop the actual bearings, and I’m bewildered as to how to get the things off. Beyond that, there’s the actual bearings, and then an internal tube keeping the two bearing bits apart.

jasonm945
    Free Member

I inserted a thin bar and pushed the centre tube down then knocked the bearings out with a rubber mallet. The bearings are effectively knackered but it gets everything apart.

Hope this helps…

Jay

matt_outandabout

Big rock….

Stoner
    Free Member

A novatech hub if Im not mistaken:
    Clicky Linky

dan1980
    Free Member

I belive it’s this novatech hub

And so far, all I’ve managed to do is get part 7 out 😳

So, I thought that before I can beat the crap delicately remove the bearings (C), I would need to remove parts 2(B) and 3(A), and I’m not sure how to do that…

philfive
    Free Member

I just put my finger an pulled it out, use a bit of force as it just clips out.

dan1980
    Free Member

Cheers, 20 minutes of fighting with the thing and it’s still not budging.

Bloody thing! either I’ve had to much, or not enough to drink to sort this problem out 🙂

hazza123
    Free Member

I had the same problem with mine, have you removed the end caps/adaptors?

If you have removed the adaptors then (this is what I did) got a pipe big enough to fit over the otherside of the hub and then using a dremel hammered the bearings an endcaps from the otherside evenly then they fall out eventually, if you’re replacing bearings then no doubt you’re going to chuck them out anyway, mine had shattered! So should be fine if you knock the bearings a bit.

hazza123
    Free Member

You can email superstar for their ‘hub service guide’ I have it so could always forward it on.

dan1980
    Free Member

If you could, that’d be great, superstar are occasionally a bit slow on the old emails!

My address is daniel dot O dot sells at gmail dot com

dickie
    Free Member

hazza123 – any change of a copy here too?

I changed the bearing in the rear of mine, which appeared easy, but now I’ve a creak under power.

ra.oldfield AT btopenworld DOT com

hazza123
    Free Member

Emails sent. 🙂

kevj
    Free Member

Thread resurrection, blue seals or black as a replacement?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Taking apart superstar switch evo hubs’ is closed to new replies.