Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Taking an almost beginner to Afan
  • kennyp
    Free Member

We're down visiting friends in Llanelli this weekend and I've persuaded my pal (who has mountain biked about twice in his life but is generally up for a challenge) we should go to Afan. I've never been myself either.

How hard are the trails in comparison to the Seven Stanes, just so I can judge?

And where is the best place around there to hire bikes (I'm not getting to take my own down)?

Cheers.

zaskar
    Free Member

Choose the easy trail as there are 3 or more to choose from.

http://www.mbwales.com/en/content/cms/centres/afan_forest_park/afan_forest_park.aspx

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

penhydd is the best trail for a novice -fairly easy climb and nothing too nuts. and in my opinion sidewinder is one of the best bits of singletrack anywhere

you can hire bikes from skyline cycles – might need to book they have a shop at afan and glyncorrwg car parks.

enjoy -afan is ace…..and only 20 mins from home

retro83
    Free Member

When I was last riding Penhydd, there was a guy taking a group of what appeared to be absolute beginners up there. He was telling one girl "the big levers are the brakes, the little ones are the gears!". Two guys were having real trouble keeping the bikes upright!

Fair play to them, (I assume they got home okay!) but it seemed mental taking them round a trail with some fairly big drops if you take a wobble!

If they can do it, you and your mate will surely manage okay 🙂

me1onhead
    Free Member

Nice Kona f/s and h/t bikes for hire at the bike shop at the centre.
    I agree witht he comment about sidewinder being a wonderful singletrack at the Penhydd trail – guaranteed a grin factor of 10/10 at the end of this section.
    Nothing too scary at Penhydd in my opinion.

IdleJon

Nothing too scary at Penhydd in my opinion.

The drop to the side of Hidden Valley?

mk1fan
    Free Member

True, but it's walkable in lieu of riding.

Whites Level is all ridable too.

wonnyj
    Free Member

For a total beginner I'd take them to Brecfa and do the green and potentially the blue extension.

Harder to hire bikes out that way though.

gwaelod
    Free Member
    doctornickriviera
    Free Member

ok for a total beginner in llanelli i'd reccomend the millenium coastal path with a gnarl factor of zero!!

kennyp
    Free Member

Although he's pretty much a beginner and claims he wants to do "something that won't end in death", I know (from 4 decades of experience) he'd deep down be insulted if I took him round something easy.

We've a bad track record of encouraging the other to do stupid stuff, therefore I reckon something like The Wall might be a good starting place for him. Anyone know what it's like in comparison to the Scottish centres? That sort of gives me something to go on.

Oh, and in case you think I'm being hard on a "beginner", I know that later that day he'll get his revenge by drinking me under the table (he always does) so I'm not going to feel guilty.

Kramer
    Free Member

The wall is probably comparable to the red at Glentress.

kennyp
    Free Member

Thanks Kramer. The Wall should be perfect then.

naokfreek
    Free Member

Take a first aid kit.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Taking an almost beginner to Afan’ is closed to new replies.