Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Taking a step back – work advice
  • neil853
    Free Member

Right, looking for some objective advice. I’m 32 and in a job I hate. It’s a boring data analysis job that I’ve been told there’s no possibility of promotion in. Earn about £20k (ish, depends on if there’s a bonus which there hasn’t for two years).

Now, I live in the NW at the minute but I’m form the NE. I’m considering taking a step back, moving back to the NE and just try to re-assess what I want. My director, who I get on well with wants to try and get me another job within transport planning, but the point is that the job doesn’t really interest me. I have a business line that I’d like to pursue that’s in the NE (not paying for itself yet), so being over there would be better.

Kind of answering my own question here but what do you think? Can’t face another 10 years, christ 2 years of this job.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Do it, get out now. The fact you are even asking this question makes the answer obvious.

DO IT NOW

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Life’s too short. You’re right, you’ve answered your own question. Nothing in your post suggests you would be better of staying where you are, so you know what you have to do.

nickjb
    Free Member

If you need another random stranger to tell you what you already know then I’m in. Get out now and go and do something less boring instead!

Kryton57

Is this the whole story? Becuase if so its an easy answer. If not, whats the catch?

neil853
    Free Member

Well, had a chat with my director this morning, laid my cards on the table. He was understanding and appreciated that I’m not happy. Spoke about creating an exit that mutually beneficial and seemed to go quite well.

I have to say I feel better already. I still need to get a job back in the NE but some sort of customer service role will do for now just until I get my head together, something that I haven’t been able to do for a while.

Thanks for the advice guys 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Taking a step back – work advice’ is closed to new replies.