Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Taking a rookie out advice
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Built my mate a nice little Boardman HT 9 speed, half decent spec but totally decent for a new MTB.

Need advice on where to go around Manchester, he’s round Didsbury way. He doesn’t want to not be able to move in the morning, but I’d still like to go somewhere interesting and fun so he wants to go again.

Was thinking Phillips Park, or maybe Chorlton Water Park? Any other suggestions or ideas?

jekkyl

Macclesfield forest? google maps reckons it’s about 35 mins driving from didsbury.
    Miss out section 8-12 and just go straight down cumberland clough.

Macc Forest Classic

funkmasterp

Marple around Roman Lakes and the golf course area. Macc Forest is also a good shout, but the climb from the Leathers Smithy to Charity Lane ,followed by the climb to the Cat and Fiddle might be a bit much for a rookie depending on their fitness.

jekkyl

yeah I’d probably agree with mrP, the climbs are tough, but you know, go a bit slower, just takes more time.

Bregante

If he’s an out and out noob then I’d agree that Macc Forest might be a bit much for him. Phillips Park is ideal but if his fitness is an issue Chorlton Water park is flat but has a few decent bits. Happy to send you a Strava link of a 20ish mile ride he could access along the Mersey from Didsbury

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

His fitness isn’t the best at the moment, that’s why I’m thinking Chorlton/Phillips Park.
    Cheers Bregante I know the ride down the Mersey, IU used to do it when I lived in Edgeley.

itsonlymelee
    Free Member

Clayton Vale? I was living in Chorlton when I got my first proper MTB a few years back and used to pootle along the Fallowfield Loop and onto the Ashton Canal to get there (or you could drive and park at the Velodrome).

Nothing scary there but good fun with a bit of speed, only short climbs and a decent intro to trails riding.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’d forgot about Clayton vale. That’s an option, cheers!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Taking a rookie out advice’ is closed to new replies.