Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Taking a month off…
  • Kryton57

…from a training plan. Too much or not? I will do 2 X 12h events in August and October and although in reality they where unplanned, I can’t help but be competitive within them and feel as though I should extend my training. I’d like to “rest” during August, get fat on the family holiday and pootle about on any bike rides rather than be hammering hills and turbos.

My periodised plan is to be hitting a training plan hard Sept – March in prep for MTB & TT’s next year with a coach, so is this downtime merited?

Actually I’m not sure what I’m asking, I think I just find it hard to ride around and not try for good results.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I just had 3 weeks off, man flu.

SaxonRider

I am in the midst of my third week off (other than a short daily commute), as I had been travelling the previous two weeks and lost my mojo.

Fortunately, I haven’t gained any weight in that time, but I have worried through the entire period about losing my fitness.

It’s time to climb back on the saddle, I think.

I can’t imagine what a full month would do to me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    theotherjonv

what will make you happy?

Unless it’s a job, this is supposed to be fun. If performing ‘badly’ at races outweighs the misery of constantly watching your diet and having to do a structured training plan, then keep training.

If you’d rather kick back on the beach for a couple of weeks and can live with the shame of coming 46th instead of 42nd, do that.

3 weeks off prior to an endurance event probably won’t make a huge difference anyway (although being 10% heavier might 😉 )

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just realised I’m making this my annual downtime, last year was broken hand, before that was SE Asian belly. I’m not looking forward to next year

Kryton57

Yes but otherwise I’d be Training for a whole year. Bear in mind there’s a difference between “Training” and “Cycling”. I’ll still be cycling. Well, when not on the Beach anyway.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Unless it’s a job, this is supposed to be fun.

+1

I’ve only done 1700km this year, no motivation post leg break, young kids and a pregnant wife are leaving me knackered, mechanical after mechanical, weathers not helping either, diets terrible, drinking too much, weight is static though

joys of a powermeter show that I’m only 11w down on my 20 minute best from 2014 when i was riding a lot (11,000km) and at my fittest towards the end of the year

take a whole month off and don’t look at a bike, won’t make a jot of difference, or at least a lot less than you think it will make

senorj

With an event in October ,I would have two weeks off in August and crack on.
    While you have the motivation….

wwaswas

Just ride your bike when you feel like it how you feel like riding it.

thecaptain
    Free Member

“Off training” for any length of time is no problem if you are still riding and perhaps racing for fun. I’m “off training” for the summer, just focussing on fun events, fit in the odd extra run/ride when I feel like it, no particular plan. Come winter I’ll be marathon training again.

Kryton57

If you’d rather kick back on the beach for a couple of weeks and can live with the shame of coming 46th instead of 42nd, do that.

Although it was pairs, I was podium last time after two weeks on the beach albeit with Gym bike HIT sessions every other day. I’m 12h solo this year.

I think s non-structured month with a week of Beach, San Miguel and crappy hotel food won’t be too bad for a non target event. The October event is incidental BTW, I’m doing it becuase it’s local and I want to, not for the result. I think a mental rest in Augiust will be OK then it’s time to crack the whip for six months and look forward to 2017.

adsh
    Free Member

Month off – good

October event – part of winter training block. Treat it as training.

Re ‘crack the whip for 6 months’ – your training should build in intensity and as such start at a level you think is too easy. If you ramp up at the correct level you will find the going hard by December. If you start harder then ramping up will be difficult and you won’t get so much benefit from the final month(s)

Don’t know why I’m saying any of this, I may train ‘betterer’ but I’m slower than you.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I have ridden my bike once since solo’ing Mountain Mayhem, even that was justa ride round the woods with my little lad.

I’m off on holiday for 2 weeks now, i’ll be taking the bike, but only for rides with the little ones, suppose riding a 13.5kg fat bike with a child seat on it & 15kg of child in there is some kind of resistance training.

DanW
    Free Member

joys of a powermeter show that I’m only 11w down on my 20 minute best from 2014 when i was riding a lot (11,000km) and at my fittest towards the end of the year

take a whole month off and don’t look at a bike, won’t make a jot of difference, or at least a lot less than you think it will make

Totally agree and it matches my experience. Rest is a vital part of progress, day to day and also longer term. It sounds like you need to see some value to the rest so imagine how refreshed your body (and mind!) will be after some down time. I think you know this but need reassurance… you can be confident that your PM won’t lie to you when you get back in to the swing of “training”.

It sounded before like your work life was pretty full with travel, stress, crappy food, poor sleep and then cramming lots of big efforts and races in to a few days so is lolling on a beach somewhere with hotel food really such a bad thing? 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d probably not do it intentionally but I’ve just had an unplanned six weeks off from any structured training due to illness, recovery and then holiday.

Raced my first 10 (TT) last night having been off the TT bike all that time. It was better than I thought it’d be. About 7% down on power, but I suspect a slice of that is just the break from coping with racing intensity.

Was about 2kg heavier after the break too but that’s quickly going.

mboy
    Free Member

Get fat, eat shit, drink loads… It’s under rated I tell thee!

And when you’re not quick on a bike any more… Just buy an ebike! It’s what they’re for isn’t it?

molgrips
    Free Member

I am in the midst of my third week off (other than a short daily commute), as I had been travelling the previous two weeks and lost my mojo.

Might be out for a ride this weekend…?

To the OP – you’ll be fine. Probably better.

fifeandy
    Free Member

…from a training plan. Too much or not? I will do 2 X 12h events in August and October and although in reality they where unplanned, I can’t help but be competitive within them and feel as though I should extend my training. I’d like to “rest” during August, get fat on the family holiday and pootle about on any bike rides rather than be hammering hills and turbos.

My periodised plan is to be hitting a training plan hard Sept – March in prep for MTB & TT’s next year with a coach, so is this downtime merited?

Actually I’m not sure what I’m asking, I think I just find it hard to ride around and not try for good results.

A month ‘off’ (transition block) is a great idea after the first 12 and represents a natural end point of your racing season. If you’ve been training solidly for 6+ months you’ll be glad of the mental break and come back into proper training ready to go.
    A solo 12 in October on the other hand doesn’t seem like a good idea within the context of a periodised 6 month plan from Sept-Mar. To do a solo 12 properly its going to destroy 3 weeks of training (approx 1 week taper and 2 weeks recovery)

Kryton57

Re ‘crack the whip for 6 months’ – your training should build in intensity and as such start at a level you think is too easy. If you ramp up at the correct level you will find the going hard by December. If you start harder then ramping up will be difficult and you won’t get so much benefit from the final month(s)

Well, that was a glib statement, there will be a proper base/build plan enforced by a coach…

This whole thread is basically an insecurity within me that feels riding around slowly is being judged to be slow.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

I’m now into my fourth year without doing any training just fun rides and so far so good!!!!! Lol I’m now two stone heavier and I feel great training hard always left me feeling drained and catching ever bug that went around.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Taking a month off…’ is closed to new replies.