Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Taking a friend for his first road ride tomorrow… how far/long should I plan?
  • xc-steve
    Free Member

As per the title really, friends relatively fit ran a half marathon a couple weeks ago but this will be his first road ride other than riding to and from work etc how far/long should I plan the rout to be? Don’t want to over work him but neither do I want him to have an easy ride 😀

Leigh2612
    Free Member

How long is his commute?

clubber
    Free Member

An hour or so? Two maybe if he’s pretty fit. IME people find road riding hard at first even if they’re fit.

portlyone

How hilly is it? I’d say about an hour or two, too.

ski
    Free Member

Half marathon and rides to work you say?

I would put money on him being able to do a 50 miler if he drafts you for most of it and not too hilly.

What the worst that could happen? Stopping half way, finding a pub on route to give up in?

😉

jam-bo

nah. plymouth based arent you?

100miler over the moors, pork hill, merrivale, dartmeet, newbridge etc…

ac282

Just head out with the wind until he starts looking tired 🙂

unstableJ
    Free Member

I’d have said 30 mile-ish in hilly terrain, 50 if it’s flat would be a good start, that should be about 2 hours without putting him off…

mogrim

I’d go for max 2 hours, if nothing else his backside won’t be up to much more. Maybe chose a route that has a few escape points or can be easily extended?

Edric64
    Free Member

Sub 2 hour 50 ? Theres many a time triallist who has not done that.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Whenever i do this for non cycling friends I try and work out a figure of eight shape route so that we can either do the full thing or can bail out halfway round. No need to mention that to your mate, as far as he’s concerned he’s done the whole ride regardless of which version you pick.

carlphillips
    Free Member

I’m with Jambo steve, rip his legs off!

I’d have thought wrangaton loop from Plympton ok for a 1st attempt, 27miles and 1.5hrs on fairly decent roads with nice scenery.
    or up to shaugh crossroads then right down through cornwood-ivybridge-then back via yealmpton or straight back if he’s tired, again around the 30 mile mark and pretty good roads.

asterix
    Free Member

50 miles – 2 hours – bonkers

xc-steve
    Free Member

Cheers for the suggestions guys approximately the same as what I was thinking… other than riding up Porkhilll 🙂

julianwilson
    Free Member

Half marathon fit legs are not the same as bike fit ones though. Especially steve’s!

I’ve got a mate who is way leaner and fitter than me, he runs everywhere incl 1/2 marathon in great times, and rides maybe 7 miles to and from work a few times a week. But 50 miles on a road bike round here (same place as xc-steve and carl) would be a proper challenge for him. In fact 15 miles round Cann and Plym Bridge is a proper workout for him, well, for his legs anyway!

globalti
    Free Member

An hour maximum, or 15 miles, preferably ending at a cafe where he can absorb the experience.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Taking a friend for his first road ride tomorrow… how far/long should I plan?’ is closed to new replies.