• This topic has 12 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Chew.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • taking a dremel to the cleat mount slots on my boots?
  • ton

my cleats are mounted right at the back of the slots on my new winter boots. i need them further back.
    i thought about taking the dremel to the boots to extend the slots another 10 to 15mm.

is it a good idea?

or is there another solution.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Why do you need them further back?

ton

because where they are set now does not suit my fused foot. it feels like it is trying to bend my ankle, which wont bend.
    on my wide fit shimano summer shoes, the cleat slots extent a lot further back.
    which suits better.

Chew
    Free Member

Why do you need them further back?

Fused ankle

I’m sure you’ll be fine for that small amount assuming you have the required space/structure in that area.

Thought with your ankle flat and boots would be easier?
    Can’t imagine how you would unclip within twisting your ankle?

EDIT: just seen you cope with summer shoes

ton

Thought with your ankle flat and boots would be easier?
    Can’t imagine how you would unclip within twisting your ankle?

Matt, not got a lot of feeling in the foot. it is hard to tell where it is on the pedal without constantly looking down a readjusting. also it bounces about a fair bit, which hurts.
    so i bought some spd boots, and they feel good and i can manage to twist out of em. just need the cleats a bit further back.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀 fair enough.

Drilling out cleat holes is fine. You might end up having to use different nuts on the inside of the shoe to hold the cleats in place though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you do it and need some different cleat nuts, let me know, I’ve got some spare specialized ones that’re quiet small. I’ll send you some in the post if you need them.

ton

the cleat plates are sandwiched inside the boot, between the sole and the inner goretex lining. i reckon i can slide em back a bit more if i do it.

nothing ventured nothing gained eh?………. 😆

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I did it on some sidi’s, worth a go. I had to cut part of the cleat plate off so I could slide them further back, this involved cutting open the sole from inside the shoe. Guess it might compromise the waterproofness of them if they’re proper winter boots?

Chew
    Free Member

Ah…I assume the inner plate is big enough that at either extreme it covers the hole in the bottom of the shoe, rather than summer shoes where you usually have a gap?

Either it way not slide enough, or you may have to seal any gap it creates to stop any water ingress.

What’s the worst that can happen 8)

Do overshoes not work with your summer shoes?

firestarter
    Free Member

I had to dremel a set of northwave shoes a few years back they were fine mate

ton

they are the shimano hiking boot things. very comfy, work with my foot, i can leave em on all day at work.

just ordered some endura overshoe things to go with the summer shoes. should be ok when it is not too cold.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘taking a dremel to the cleat mount slots on my boots?’ is closed to new replies.