Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Taking a bike on Easyjet – anything I need to know?
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

Will be packing it in a cardboard bike box with spacers in the dropouts and pipe lagging atc round the bike tubes.

Am I allowed to put anything else in the box? Bike is light and weight limit for sports equipment is 32kg.

chrisdw
    Free Member

I used a bike bag so was happier putting other stuff in there. Weight wise they were perfectly happy to take it. Even when on the way back it was 31.5kg!

Up to you based on how strong you think the box is!

singlespeedstu

The bike bit is easy.
    The trying not to dust up strangers is less easy. 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

IIRC you’re not meant to put extra stuff in but everyone does.

I take the mech and hanger off and pack carefully

jam-bo

Discs off. I did, another guy on my flight didn’t and was looking miserable.

rascal
    Free Member

Took mine from Luton to Geneva in a bike bag (old Chain Reaction one, not a fancy Evoc one) last week.
    Put bike, shoes, arm and leg pads, Camelbak and body core protector in with no problems – came to just under 28kgs (Comm Meta). Use leg pads to wrap around top/down tubes. Was more precious about wrapping it in bubble-wrap and lagging on way out than way back, once I realised that the wheel bags either side of the frame do a fair bit of frame protection. Discs off on way there, left on for way back. No damage at all either way. Mate did the same but was getting close to weight limit at 31kgs…no problems either.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It may not* get there at the same time as you.

* 3 out of 6 of our group didnt get bikes till the next day. And judging by the rage at outsize items quite a few others didnt.

I wasnt too bothered as i was insured and hadnt put my pride and joy in the hold- just a crappy beater on one i built out of shit. But some folk with 5k carbon yetis were starting to sweat.

Lester
    Free Member

I used a bike box last week but all my mets used proper bike bags.
    Theirs all arrived ok,
    On the way there my box got damaged, it’s really easy to damage them by the handle holes, I had to ditch the box and get a new one from a bike shop in Chamonix for the return jourmney, I wouldn’t use a bike box again.
    My tips if you do.
    Try and find a bigger than average box so you don’t have to take the forks off
    Reinforce the handle holes and all the corners with gaffer tape
    Take at least two spare rolls of gaffer tape in your hand luggage just in case you have to open, or repair it at the airport, same on the way back.
    Try and handle it yourself as much as you can yourself before you give it to the handlers, as my mates damaged mine trying to help.
    Get a trolley at the airport, free at he’s throw, you need a two franc or two euro coin.
    Stack the bike upright not across on the trolley, might be harder to look over but you can get through the gaps.
    I used my armpur to reinforce the corners and also my shoes.
    Might be best and easier to pack it upside down so seat post and bars are at the bottom
    Good luck

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My preference would be
    Proper Bag (Evoc style) > Well packed box > Cheap bag

Always rotors off, in a box there is more to move round so using loads of clothes as packing helps.

Make sure it’s insured – travel insurance won’t cover you and airlines may make you sign a disclaimer.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

It’s a road bike I’m taking and it’s a one way flight, so I dont want to be buying anything that I’d just have to dump at the other end of the flight.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Taking a bike on Easyjet – anything I need to know?’ is closed to new replies.