Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Taking a bike on a bus
  • deejayen
    Free Member

Just wondered if it might be possible to take a mountain bike on a bus. Presumably the bike would have to fold or separate in some way.

I was thinking about buying a Brompton, but as I don’t have a mountain bike I would prefer to have an off-roader.

I’m aware of the Airnimal Rhino, but I’ve been told it’s a bit of a faff to fold, and I suspect even then it’s an awkward size and shape. Also, the SwissBike folding 26″ wheeled MTBs are probably huge in real life.

I fancy being able to catch a bus to/from the trails, or being able to do a one-way route and getting a bus back. I’d also like to be able to take it on a train without having to book in advance.

I suspect there isn’t a good solution, but thought I’d ask…

Rorschach
    Free Member

There used to be a bus service with a bike rack on the back that went to Barmouth that I’d take to Corwen/Bala and ride home.After a few trips the driver just let me take it on (minus wheels) to save the hassle of loading the rack.It was a big bus and always quiet….which helped I suspect.

Edric64
    Free Member

Not been allowed to take a bike on a bus ever ,one driver got snotty about a frame

tomhoward

Yeah, never been allowed a built bike on a bus, only in a bag/box. Similarly I’ve never booked in advance for the train and never had a problem.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve taken a tandem on a bus.
    in France (which was extremely handy as we were on a point to point tour, had an airport to get to and I couldn’t open one of my eyes due to a bee sting – then got a taxi from the bus station to our accommodation!)

project
    Free Member

There used to be a bus service with a bike rack on the back that went to Barmouth that I’d take to Corwen/Bala and ride home

the 94 from wrecsam to Barmouth, now no longer an arriva route but a private company, who may use coaches with under floor lockers.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I reckon the likelihood of the driver taking the easiest option by just refusing to let the bike on is too high to make this a realistic option.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Skillz project 😀

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I caught a train that, unknown to me at the time of booking, had a rail replacement service running. It was a coach, and i put the bike in the luggage compartment underneath.

So, if you got a coach, it might be possible, especially if the bike was in a bag.

loddrik
    Free Member

Get a Brompton. They really are great. Certainly better than you’d imagine if you’ve never ridden one.

deejayen
    Free Member

As I thought, it doesn’t sound too promising!

When I’ve seen a Brompton up close they still look like a sizable chunk, but I’ve just spent a bit of time looking up the sizes of some folding bikes, and they’re all much bigger. So, it seems the Brompton is pretty much the only bike which would be guaranteed unquestioned passage on a bus.

I did ride a Brompton for 25 miles a coupe of years ago, and I don’t think I enjoyed the experience too much. However, that one was a 6-speed with H bars. If I bought one I’d be tempted to go for a single speed with S bars. I’m just not sure how much I would use it seeing as I have other bikes for road use. I only started looking because my brother has bought a Brompton (for different reasons), and it might be fun if I had one too. On the other hand, I’d like to be able to do some off-roading and use bus/train/car to travel.

aracer
    Free Member

Given my last post wasn’t very helpful, I’ve just remembered I’ve taken a unicycle on a bus (in England) 😉

BrianSavage

Bikes on a bus. Get a grip this is the UK! We don’t want any of that European funny business to fill up our rural bus services that carry two people a week.

There are currently a handful of bus services that do carry bikes and most are summer only. A few years back a member of the Scottish Parliament was trying to do something about this but as far as I know it never came to anything. To see how it should be done check out the Filme von Draussen Gotthard Postbus film.

You will be fine on trains. Longer distance trains do have reservations, a handful of which are compulsory and I have always found East Coast (now operated by Virgin) to be particularly officious about reservations even when space is available. Have a look at the National Rail web site which details each company’s policy.

loddrik
    Free Member

My brompton is an S3L but I’ve stuck some cut down easton risers on it. Makes all the
    difference. Bars are right width for me now and exactly at the height I’d want them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The 201 has saved my bacon a few times.

Most notably when mrs tr freehub failed completely between aboyne And ballater and i was on the wrong side of the cairn o mount to be any help

This was a regular full size road bike and is allowed on the bus regular, no special dispensation.

Kahurangi

All the busses in ChCh have a bike rack on the front that will take two bikes.

Ahhh, NZ 🙁

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Taking a bike on a bus’ is closed to new replies.