Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Tailor Made Shirts
  • CaptainSlow

I’d like to have some shirts tailor made as I’d like one fitted with a slightly longer sleeve. Off the shelf fits but could be improved on.

Can anyone recommend somewhere? Does anyone use any of the online firms like shirtsbyhand or tailor store?

jeffl

Not tailor made but I’ve used TM Lewin before and you can get extra length in the arms online. The sizing guides were spot on for me.

CaptainSlow

Tm lewin only provide extra length from 16.5 collar from what I could see earlier.
    I’m 15.5 and about 6′ 3.5″ and would like to try a 37″ sleeve rather than a standard 36″

jeffl

Ah yeah just checked and mine are a 16.5 collar which is bob on for me. Good luck.

bigdean

I use tailor store. Good quality and last well. Usually wait for two for £80- £100 deals.

andermt
    Free Member

Have a look at Thomas Pink, they do longer sleeves in most sizes.

tomhoward

If you’re int ‘north, Rhodes Wood in Harrogate make exquisite bespoke shirts. Not cheap, mind.

Original Stitch are really good.

tron
    Free Member

I’ve used Tailorstore in the past and found them good. I got a white shirt in one of the better fabrics for about £70. It was very good quality – heavy fabric, good seams etc. You do need to have some time to wait for the shirts (4 weeks approx for delivery) and do some playing around with the measurements. You can also measure up a shirt you already have that fits and they produce a pattern from that.

I also had an M&S one a few years ago in their standard white fabric and it is pretty naff – fit is OK but the fabric is thin and the hem seams pucker. But this is to some extent reflected in the price which is think was around £25-£30.

Another of the online tailors does a free shirt in horrible fabric just to check fit – if you have the time to wait for it and adjust the measurements before placing your order, you should be able to get it spot on.

That said, if all you want is a standard shirt with longer sleeves, the TM Lewins and Charles Tyrwhitt types do that all day long. I’ve found Tyrwhitt shirts to be pretty decent, the non-iron ones almost are, and the standard shirts can be ironed pretty easily. I had some from Lewins and they went straight back – they were near enough impossible to iron.

CaptainSlow

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve got a couple of TOm Pink shirts and they wore well, TM Lewin fit well, haven’t lasted as well and don’t do a longer sleeve in my size 🙁 Tyrwhitt I’ve not tried yet.

For Thomas pink money I can buy tailored which is what got me thinking. Next suit will def be tailored as I’ve lost a few kg 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pink are (sadly) overpriced tosh these days.
    Lewin are (sadly) going the same way.

However, the latter has a far better cut for your build if you’re buying off the peg.

If not off the peg, prepare to pay plenty. Unless you’re heading to HK, where unlike suits, shirts are still very good value.

grahamt1980

A suit that fits are good. Got both my suits and a load of shirts made by them

cyclomonkey
    Free Member

Itailor.com is what i have used before , very happy with the shirt

stewartc
    Free Member

All my work shirts and suits are bespoke, typically I go in directly to the tailors but a buddy I ride with works at MyTailor.com and I have bought some trousers off them, very good quality though a little pricey compared with others in HK.
    Usually for a walk in with a reputable tailor here I would expect to pay around 80GBP for 3 shirts.
    I did find a local Chinese outfit in Central that knocked out a good cotton suit and spare trousers for 100 GBP once, still got them after 5 years and they do repairs for free.

just5minutes
    Free Member

Charles Tyrwhitt do sleeves in 1″ increments as standard or custom sleeves for about £5 extra – if you order 4 standard shirts they are about £90 after cashback from TopCashback.co.uk – the quality is great as well.

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk

CaptainSlow

Thanks for that – didn’t realise I could get their extra slim in a 37 sleeve with a 15.5 collar.

I’ve ordered 4 and will see how they fit. If ok, I’ll keep them, if not will send them back and go tailored. The tailored option cost doesn’t bother me as long as fit and quality justify the cost 🙂

Now I just need to get my suits adjusted 😉

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Look at Harvie and Hudson. Better material than Lewins or Tyrwhitt. Good deals every few months.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tailor Made Shirts’ is closed to new replies.