Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Tail gaters
  • iainc

the number of cars pushing our little Mini along the country roads was frightening

I dont follow how this happens ? You’re the driver with your foot on the pedals, how can anyone else push you along ?

Surely just drive at a safe speed and if folk are too close behind then slow down or pull in ? Life’s too short for confrontation

nickewen
    Free Member

Yep it’s not the first encounter with an idiot in one of the Kia 4×4’s.. Only the weekend before this spotted on doing about 40mph down a grass hill in the wet on a family campsite.

Yep Youtube is the place where it all ends up at the moment but there should be a formal Police online submission thing. Cheaper than building speed cameras, brings in revenue and actually punishes poor driving not just speeding.

nickewen
    Free Member

“pushing us along” i.e. driving too close. There was no confrontation as such he was just a couple of metres behind us at a 40mph or so. Does that clear it up?

EDIT: I was car 3 behind the originating 40mph car..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigblackshed

I’ve just done a holiday trip to North Devon in my MiL’s motorhome. I don’t drive it very often, but when I do it really highlights the bad driving that’s become the norm.

Motorways are frightening, the amount of lane swapping in traffic jams, the stop / start of the phantom queues, and the amount of “overtakes” that pull in to my braking distance gap. The “van” is about 4tonnes loaded up, it takes a bit to stop it from 65 mph-ish. It doesn’t have the brakes of the observation bias BMW or Range Rover without functioning indicators.

In town it’s invisible. Or it must be due to the amount of drivers who will pull out in front of you or again jump in the braking gap.

If anything it’s a quick lesson in how not to be a dick on the road. It certainly changes my thinking in the car and how easily accidents can happen, especially on the motorway. The overturned caravan on the M5 just north of Gordano services on Saturday evening, caused by someone deciding to exit the motorway from the outside lane within 50m of the junction, is the all too inevitable consequence.

iainc

nickewen – Member
    “pushing us along” i.e. driving too close. There was no confrontation as such he was just a couple of metres behind us at a 40mph or so. Does that clear it up?

EDIT: I was car 3 behind the originating 40mph car..

Yeah, I know what you mean now. I tend to find that if another driver is intimidating me I just pull over if I can and let them get on with it.

Cougar

Gentle left-foot braking can be effective; not actually slowing any, just enough to light up your brake lights. Mostly though I ease off for a few seconds then drive back up to speed, that’s particularly effective against lorries.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Left foot braking is fun. 😀

As soon as you learn to apply analogue pressure with your left foot. 😡

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Tail gaters’ is closed to new replies.