Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Tag-along bikes
  • holdsteady

Considering getting a tag-along so I can take my kids out for longer rides – they are currently aged 4 & 6 so should get a few years use out of it.

Are they worth getting ? Any recommendations which ones to buy (preferably under £100) ?

Cheers

dknwhy

They’re much of a muchness really. I’ve got one kicking around that you can have for £30 if you’re anyway near Croydon.

leeph
    Free Member

And if your based up near Newcastle – I’ve got one for sale.

grilla
    Free Member

I bought a cheap one from Tesco, made out of lead and depleted uranium I think, sold it once grillaJr could keep up unaided for about £20 less than I paid.

ads678

I like trail-gators. Lots of people don’t seem to get on with them but if you persevere with getting them set up right I think they’re great as kids get to actually ride for a while, and you just hook them up when it gets too hard.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

To answer your question – yes they are worth getting. Absolutely brilliant bits of kit. Mine has lasted me for my three kids – the older one still love going on in and we try to see how fast we can go on it. Great fun.

molgrips
    Free Member

Adams trail a bike here – was £80 or something.

I don’t particularly like trail-gators (although I’ve never used one). They can damage the headtubes, and they look really quite unstable – a lot of people seem to wobble around a lot on them. The trail-a-bikes are designed to be towed.

TiRed

Went the other way and bought a kiddyback tandem. I can honestly say it provided ten years of great cycling. It was worth every penny (£1000 with added bits), but was a lot more money than a tag-along. It’s hung in the garage feeling a little unloved now that both teens are heavier than me!

There is NO comparison with a tagalong. Handling is so much nicer. And for balance, I did add a Burley Piccolo to make it a triplet for a few years. That was not easy cycling 😉

warns74
    Free Member

Have a look at the Weehoo turbo, bought on so we could go out as a family with my daughter (3.5) and she loves it. Feel much better knowing she is strapped in and can still enjoy pedaling along and its narrower than the handlebars so feels better on the road. Apparently good for use up to the age of about 9 but suspect she will want to ride on her own before then.

[edit, sorry in true STW fashion have ignored the budget element, but you can pick them up cheaper 2nd hand]

geoffj

trek mountain train if you can find one

isitafox
    Free Member

Every tag along bike I’ve ever seen has had the kid hanging on for dear life as the bike sits pissed up to one side. I take it that’s down to a cheapness factor?

aracer
    Free Member

I also have a tandem (in my case it was an adult tandem to which I’ve fitted a kiddyback conversion) – though it’s not getting so much use now they’re both big enough to ride on the back, as it doesn’t really help with family outings – I need a triplet. As mentioned it’s not a cheap option, but much better than a tag-along if you can afford it (n+1)

garage-dweller

Follow me for the win But…it’s twice your budget….but it is very good and doesn’t suffer from slanty kid syndrome.

maybe worth trawling eBay for (you might potentially need axle adapters if kids bikes have qr wheels and a steel band for the frame bracket – available as spares)

molgrips
    Free Member

The Adams doesn’t slump to one side. My daughter likes to lean right over, and the bike doesn’t. It does make me veer wildly to that side though, almost dumping the both of us in a ditch much to my daughter’s delight.

warns74
    Free Member

Every tag along bike I’ve ever seen has had the kid hanging on for dear life as the bike sits pissed up to one side.

igm

Garage-dweller is almost right, Follow me tandem >>> +1 for performance, but -1 for the budget you’re looking for.

They are very good though. very, very good.

antigee

one kid liked the Adams and the other preferred to ride on own for a bit so used a trailgator – work if set up well

not sure if Adams still use the seatpost clamp – tends to fill with mud I ended up getting a spare seatpost and saddle much easier to fit, the one we had folded in half – much easier to fit in car

a mirror is almost essential if only for entertainment amazing what can get up to

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tag-along bikes’ is closed to new replies.