Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Tadley or Thatcham?
  • anagallis_arvensis

Any views on places to live that are not Reading but dont cost too much? We both currently work in Reading so cant go too far. Would love to live in the Chilterns or Mortimer but cant afford them..

frogstomp

Tadley is pretty much AWE Aldermaston if that’s likely to bother you..

Bramley? – seems a bit cheaper than Mortimer and is on the same rail line if you want to use the train.

Or Woolhampton or Aldermaston Wharf on the A4 between Reading and Thatcham – also on a rail line or you could cycle to Reading along the canal.

anagallis_arvensis

Tadley isnt nice but seems in a nicer setting than Thatcham. Bramey would be considered but nothing in our price range has come up. Want to live somewhere not surrounded by crackheads and prostitutes where the schools arent wall to wall shite.

Northwind

I’ve always assumed that Thatcham must be the theft capital of the world, all my motorbike security stuff was Thatcham-tested.

OwenP

You need a train line? If so, Aldermaston Wharf, Woolhampton, Theale etc are all on that route. If the preference is for a town, Theale might be an option in addition to your suggestions? Smaller places i would consider are Aldermaston Wharf, Woolhampton, or Bradfield Southend which arent always as expensive as some of the other villages (but the villages are generally more expensive than the towns).

What sort of price range/housing are you after? I spent about six months looking in the same areas and affordable (for me) stuff did crop up between the all overpriced stuff. It just tended to sell very quickly!

anagallis_arvensis

Two hundred grandish hence the problem!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Live in Thatcham and as all places, good and bad. Been here 11 years now. Wife lived in Tadley ( we rib her about it, before I knew her) and doesnt anymore 😉
    Newbury is cheaper to live. Dont go near any homes in Station Road, lots of scum in there. Good schools including Kennet , which has a good ofstead etc. Ask away……….

grahamh
    Free Member

Thatcham (well Benham Hill to be exact)to Reading easly done as a commute by bike.
    My dad did it every day for a many a year.

I’ve seen places in Mortimer and Woolhampton for sale in your price range, although they may have been a bit small if you have a growing family.

anagallis_arvensis

We need/want 3 bedrooms. Saw one in mortimer for that but it was a while ago and went quickly.

daftvader
    Free Member

What about Basingstoke? Chineham or old basing are nice and on the reading side. Good schools and catchment …

SilentSparky
    Free Member

I live in Tadley, been here for 9 yrs or so. It seems to have a stigma from the past but I’ve never had any bother, has everything you need and a decent amount of riding from the door. If you don’t want to live in “Tadley” then look at Pamber or Burghurst. But in Tadley the Ex Awe 2 or 3 beds are decent size houses on a decent plot size and always seem to be in demand for when you move on.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I’ll answer both when the wife is home tonight, she’ll know both areas.

weeksy

Look West instead of south of Reading, past Pnagbourne, Aldworth, Hampstead Norrys, Ashampstead etc.

anagallis_arvensis

Thanks Thrusty. Weeksey have you seen the budget?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Old Basing?

weeksy

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Thanks Thrusty. Weeksey have you seen the budget?

Yup, hence my suggestions as i bought one for £200k in the area 🙂

it’s small… but… it’s a lovely lovely area to live and easy commute down through Bradfield to Jn13.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Jn 12 is probably closer to Bradfield 😉 It all depends on what you want really. Judging by the links you put up, happy with a normal 3 bed semi. Rural location is nice , in a way, used to live in Tidmarsh. But in the winter found it just dark, always . Stumbling round with a torch. Glad I made the move to Thatcham for that reason alone and also more space as housing cheaper. Also street lighting means I can get out without a torch etc. Schools are good as well here. Which makes life easier for them as well for after school activities and friends. I am also still local to the Chilterns, Greenham and local areas for rides.

weeksy

Thrustyjust – Member
    Jn 12 is probably closer to Bradfield

LOL… you wouldn’t think i’ve lived here for nearly 15 years hahaha

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Mate, I have lived in Thatcham for 11 years and have no idea what road is what . Ask me about Reading and I know them all !! 😆

SilentSparky
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis, re: the £197k house that you linked up in Tadley, that road is used to cut across Tadley and cars don’t tend to stick to 30 and is a little busier than the side roads.

Slightly over budget, but something like this, good size 3 bed, nicer road:
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38169590.html?premiumA=true

Or if you find a two bed version of the above, theyr’e only slightly smaller and you can split the front bedroom into two 10×12 rooms (this is what we have done).

anagallis_arvensis

Yeah we thought tbat about the house in tadley small garden too but the rooms were nice sizes.

gusamc
    Free Member

Become a commoner – http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-25485489.html

Bit of an ‘irritating’ place imho, it’s very handy for everything you’ll ever need (Reading,M4,trains etc etc) but actually has next to nothing itself and it’s extremely irritatingly laid out in that it has no centre and the ‘facilities’ are incredibly spreadout.

anagallis_arvensis

Thats sold and the area looked bloody horrible.

anagallis_arvensis

Very nice but need three bed place.

stewartc
    Free Member

Have you considered Yateley or Wokingham, nice little towns and about the same distance. Lived near Thatcham in Newbury for nearly 10 years, would not rush back.

anagallis_arvensis

Used to work in Yateley bit too pricey I think.

pete68
    Free Member

what about Comton, to the north of Thatcham. Right on the downs but cheaper than surrounding villages due to the institute housing.

tonyd

Wokingham is silly money, Yateley not quite as silly but still a bit daft.

huws
    Free Member

This thread is like a trip down memory lane, I lived in Padworth for 25 years.

Unfortunately I left 10 years ago so I doubt I can be much help. Good luck with the search, it’s a lovely place to grow up.

zbonty

OP -Reading isn’t all crackheads/whores. There was 12 cars vandalised on my street the other week-someone ‘etched’ swastikas and NF logos on them all, really classy like.
    Depressing.

robbieh
    Free Member

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40691426.html

Forget this one mate. Been in Thatcham 42yrs and a postie here for nearly 22. This house is on the edge of a not so nice estate and close by are alleys used by all to get to and from the town/pubs/etc. There are nice people and houses there but if you have the chance to avoid going there, do. Like Thrusty said, avoid the estate in station rd. called Kennet Heath…parts are like a ghetto sadly for the people that bought expensive houses there.

robbieh
    Free Member

Have you seen the semi. in Paynesdown Rd for 205?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Tadley or Thatcham?’ is closed to new replies.