Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Tad windy!!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Brave if youre riding this morning 😯

bikebouy
    Free Member

Eye T’is that, we’re off windsurfing..

Drac

Most settled it’s been all week up here Monday was an effort to walk against when the gusts really got up.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

was a rare tailwind this morning coming into work, was ace in the sun… heading home later might be a bit of effort. lol. Mind, today was the first day I wore a short sleeve top, albeit with arm warmers, still getting there slowly. soon shorts and top, baking sun and dusty trails… hahahahaha

and then Pam Ewing woke up to find Bobby in the shower. Dream on.

toby1

I wanted to ride this morning, but I had to come in by car as my Elbow is still healing after removing all the skin from it on the way home on Tuesday. Totally stupid lack of concentration (I’m blaming tiredness from the wind) ended up in gavel then on my elbow/knee. I just need it to heal enough before a big ride at the weekend.

Today did look mental, the trees were taking a real battering.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s like being permanently sand blasted on site! Safety specs are the order of the day today I think…

trail_rat
    Free Member

53mph gusts the other night FROM my house meant riding home took 1hr 45…..it normally hovers around the hour !

although coming in yesterday i set a new PB – 45mins for 26k – and it was a southerly …. i ride west.

last night was rare did a 60k loop home and came tanking in along one of the local TT stretches tailwind tastic.

buck53

Threw in a little horizontal rain up my way, just to mix things up a bit. On the plus side I’m now fully exfoliated and have been given a temporary face lift from it all hitting me head on.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d planned to ride to the station then in London today. I’ve not ridden for a week, so I’m definitely going to do it whatever the weather.. 😐

Rorschach
    Free Member

A slightly big Rhossy

rogerthecat
    Free Member

The wind is howling round the house at the moment, thought the white fluffy things scudding overhead were clouds, looks like they may be sheep!

neninja
    Free Member

Had to stop for a couple of minutes to let the gusts drop at point last night when the mate I was with and myself almost got blown off the trail in to a barbed wire fence.

Was riding along leaning at a jaunty angle to counter the cross wind for a few miles.

Today is wet but the wind has dropped.

binners

We’re riding tonight. Our normal route involves a jaunt up here

TURBINES 3 by binlidski, on Flickr

Don’t think we’ll bother tonight. We’ll stay a bit lower instead I think. They put those things up there for very good reason

samuri
    Free Member

I had to content with dirt dunes on the way into work. About a foot high of dust/soil had blown off the field into dunes along the path.

jamiea
    Free Member

Was a bit of an effort towing the little one in a trailer to nursery for the first time on the singlespeed! Nice tailwind to work after dropping of the trailer tho 🙂

Cheers,
    Jamie

tommyhine

I only rode in to town a little while ago and that was an effort, only 3 km as well. It’s never good when you have to pedal downhill to maintain speed!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Rorschach, that this morning.. Wooohaaaa..

West Wittering for moi…

tommyhine

On the plus side I’m going to take out my power kite in a minute 🙂

camo16
    Free Member

Pretty blowy in Liverpool.

Rode in anyway. 8)

bigdawg
    Free Member

hmm… a normal 35 minute journey took about an hour along southend sea front this morning – but on a plus side I appear to have picked up a couple of KOM’s on when I turned round..?!?! 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Damn blowy down here on the coast. At one point I was trying to get to a junction quickly before the approaching traffic and had to GROWL at the wind to get through it! GRRRR! (Hurt my throat a bit).
    Oh yeah -along the top of the hill the wind was actually bending my nose! Should fly home anyway.

grum
    Free Member

Low Nils and Gale Mike are at fault apparently.

Had to put earplugs in to sleep last night.

theflatboy
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

I’d planned to ride to the station then in London today. I’ve not ridden for a week, so I’m definitely going to do it whatever the weather..

I can confirm it’s ridiculously windy.

mrmo
    Free Member

morning commute

I might regret the decision to ride this evening, one good thing the wind isn’t very gusty, just very strong.

Gary_M
    Free Member

20 mile commute home last night was a touch interesting too. I head south, going through the suburbs is all right but as soon as I hit the moor I’m heading on open road towards the sea, it was a battle to stay upright at times.

Took me 90 minutes last night, usually takes 70 on average so not too bad. Passed my mate who commutes in the opposite direction, he was flying, almost literally.

Thankfully today is a rest day so not riding anyway.

aracer
    Free Member

Good for Strava KOMs though (half of them anyway!)

twinklydave

Got to watch a waterfall going backwards on Tuesday, which was ace…until I realised I had 70 miles to go, straight into the headwind 😕

That was not pleasant.

tonyd

It’s blowy all right! Today is the windiest it’s been this week round these parts. Mon/Tue was a tail wind all the way in and head wind all the way home, prob about 20-25mph gusting to about 35. This morning it was mostly side on and tail but blowing at 30+ mph I’d say and gusting over 40. It’ll be a tough ride home tonight, glad I took a rest day yesterday!

It usually takes me an hour each way (35 mile round trip) Mon/Tue I was 10 mins faster on the way in than on the way home.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Good for Strava KOMs though (half of them anyway!)

Not yesterday, I had a headwind in the morning too, although only mild, and torrential rain. It was thoughtful of the wind to turn for my journey home.

Still what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

mikey74
    Free Member

Currently debating whether to go out on my roadie tonight, here just south of London.

I have nearly been blown into cars before.

aracer
    Free Member

Not yesterday

I got a couple, and would have had a third if I’d tried a little harder on it (was just rolling along as part of the ride rather than trying for the KOM). Coming back was awful though – was pedalling hard downhill at 25mph on a bit where I’d normally be hitting almost 40 in a tuck. Normally I’d always head out into the wind on a ride and get the tailwind to blow me home – I have a horrible feeling Strava will tempt me into more rides like that where I’m fresh for the downwind segments!

theflatboy
    Free Member

The headwind was so strong on the way in this morning, I can only assume the ride home will be like heaven. No doubt I will be proved wrong, of course!

Bunnyhop

Yes, last night our ride was interesting. Trying to avoid loads of toads along the tow path was not easy as each gust was blowing us off course.

Best bit was tail wind home, speeding to the pub without even trying.

scandalous
    Free Member

went out last night – faster up than down!

aracer
    Free Member

The headwind was so strong on the way in this morning, I can only assume the ride home will be like heaven. No doubt I will be proved wrong, of course!

Actually you make a good case for going out with the wind there – at least that way you’re not disadvantaged when it turns. Not so handy of course when you have constrained starting and finishing points.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Very true. I seem to constantly have a headwind, whether riding to or from work. Though my colleague did point out that a wind of up to 10 miles an hour or so will be easily overtaken and then you generate the “headwind” by the speed above that that you ride.

I must just ride too fast… 🙂

muzzle
    Free Member

Rode over Houndkirk Road near Sheffield last night, barely had to pedal up it – felt like the wind was lifting me to the top. The ride down was an absolute blast – don’t think I’ve ever gone so quick, even had to apply the brakes a couple of times…!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Eye, ’twas most excellent on the water.

Caught the tide on the turn, most excellent 3/4ft crumblies and jump/slash/carve heaven.
    Waters cold mind.

Don’t envy you riding home. Take care out there.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Tad windy!!’ is closed to new replies.