Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tacx Neo
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Anyone got one yet? How you getting on with it? What software are you using to drive it? Got loads more questions if anyone has one 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Bump for the bored at work Friday crowd.

Gary_M
    Free Member

This months cycling plus has a review of the neo smart and they loved it, ‘best turbo trainer ever’ – well it should be as it’s probably the most expensive ever.

But then again they loved the Elite Qubo Wireless in a test a few years ago and they were equally gushing, year after it got 3 stars and it was ‘alright I suppose’. So take from that what you will.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrblobby
    Free Member

For what it should be able to do it’s actually one of the cheapest! You need to be comparing it with things like the Veloreality Lynx, Computrainer and Velotron, not the Kickr or the Muin.

I’ll check out the review but would be good to hear from people who’ve actually used it.

kcr
    Free Member

Read the DC Rainmaker “Everything you want to know” page for a very exhaustive discussion by users.

There were problems with the build of some early units, acknowledged by Tacx; small bits of weld residue getting stuck to the internal magnets and grinding in the close tolerance rotor gap, and an ungreased freehub shaft and a missing part in the shaft bearing assembly causing noise.

I got one from Halfords just before Christmas (Black Friday + BC discount + Quidco made Halfords the best part of £300 cheaper than anywhere else). I tried it out, but returned it almost immediately because it was pretty noisy at threshold interval effort. I’m looking to replace a 15 year old Tacx Grand Excel mag turbo, which disturbs the household, even in the garage. For a turbo sold as “quiet” I wasn’t impressed by the comparison with the Neo I received.

I’m currently waiting for a replacement (couple of weeks so far) on the assumption I got one of the bad ones. I videoed it for Tacx and they seemed to agree it was a dud.
    Halfords have been very helpful, but not so impressed with the importer, Fisher. When I examined the unit I received, there were score marks on the locking catches and the box appeared to have been resealed, so I suspect I got a return.

On the other hand, some users seem very pleased with the Neos they have received. It seems to work well with the various software options (I had no problem pairing it with an Ant+ dongle). Some people have reported software issues, but nothing insurmountable, as far as I can see.

Based on my experience, I’d be cautious at the moment. I’ll try and provide an update if I get a replacement.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks kcr. Does seem like they rushed it to market a bit!

Really like to know more about how it feels to ride. I’ve read you can switch it between TT, Road and MTB modes which change the feel of the turbo by modifying the characteristics of the virtual flywheel. Did you get a chance to try this out?

wilburt
    Free Member

I get the impression several manufacturers are rushing products to market in the hope of capitalising on the insurgence of home training with Zwift,TR etc.

I’m pretty much decided on holding out until the clear best in class appears, given the relatively simple technology in the trainers themselves I would hope thats not too long.

kcr
    Free Member

No, wasn’t aware of different modes. Not sure what TT vs road vs MTB mode means?
    It provides variable resistance, and supposedly the virtual flywheel design of the magnetic rotor feels more like the inertia of real bike. It felt pretty like a turbo to me, albeit smoother, but I only had a very limited try out, so can’t comment properly on that. I did notice the powered freewheeling while riding a downhill segment.

benji
    Free Member

Rode one last night, my mate has a shop, has his own personal one and the demo one from the shop, so we had them in the workshop last night, to do some training together. The ride is fantastic, very realistic, with the slight amount of movement it gives it really feels like being out there riding. Software we were using the tacx own software, which worked well and gave a good workout. Was interesting to see power figures having never used any form of power metering.

I’ve got an elite muin at the minute, which I chose so it was direct drive and portable enough for warming up at events, the neo is a slightly nicer ride, but I wouldn’t want to sit outside in the rain on it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m pretty much decided on holding out until the clear best in class appears, given the relatively simple technology in the trainers themselves I would hope thats not too long.

Most turbos are relatively simple. The Neo isn’t!

No, wasn’t aware of different modes. Not sure what TT vs road vs MTB mode means?
    It provides variable resistance, and supposedly the virtual flywheel design of the magnetic rotor feels more like the inertia of real bike. It felt pretty like a turbo to me, albeit smoother, but I only had a very limited try out, so can’t comment properly on that. I did notice the powered freewheeling while riding a downhill segment.

Probably a rubbish explanation but … the Neo has some clever firmware it in that samples and changes the characteristics of the virtual flywheel some 1000 times a second. It can tune the turbo to mimic the properties of a cyclist of a specific weight riding a long with a specific CdA and Crr, along with values for slope.

Basically the pedalling mechanics for putting out, say, 300W on a 10% climb is very different to putting out 300W on a flat road. Likewise different on a flat road with a different CdA, doing 300W at 30mph feels different to doing 300W at 20mph. Due to inertia and kinetic energy mostly. All of this the Neo is meant to be able to model due to the virtual driven flywheel.

I’m told it works ok at the moment but that Tacx are working on making it much better and much more tuneable.

Be good to know how people have found using the different modes?

njee20
    Free Member

You’re making me want one!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well if they could sort out the build issues and if they can implement all the stuff they are promising in the firmware, and if it all actually works as promised, then it could be a real silver bullet of a turbo and help you get much more benefit from the work you do on it when you go back to outdoor riding. If if if… then I’d happily pay a grand for one!

njee20
    Free Member

Trouble is… This is Tacx, and that’s a lot of “ifs”!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes, and it’s the first batch of the first real mass market next gen turbo using new tech, lots of new complex firmware, cycling models, etc. You really are paying a grand to be an alpha tester!

I’m tempted to buy something else to tide me over until they sort out Neo v2 but the only thing that might fit the bill is the Lemond and that’s just so stupidly loud.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tacx Neo’ is closed to new replies.