Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • "Taco" Bash guards.
  • jimjam
    Free Member

What’s out there in a iscg mounted bash guard? I don’t want a lower roller, light and tidy would be a bonus.

I was running a MRP G2 (just the lower part) but it cracked and split easily and since I binned it I’ve been running nothing up front for a long time, however a few new trails and some shitty line choices have resulted in some pretty severe rock strikes which have got me thinking (I’ve also just bought a new crankset and chainring and want to preserve it a bit).

kayak23

Blackspire Trailx.
    Mint.

That’s coming from a carppy G2 guide too.

tomhoward

Got a couple of MRP XCg’s, they do the job.

XCg

jimjam
    Free Member

Looks nice, but do they still fall to bits if you get chain lube on them?

chrishc777
    Free Member

Why taco and not crank mount may I ask?

tomhoward

Nope. Totally, boringly reliable, only notice it when its hits something. It’s 2 bolts, what is there to go wrong?

thered

I had a Blackspire Bruiser from Swinnerton’s in Stoke, been v impressed, protected my bits on more than one ocassion already.

Chrishc777 – It offers a little protection to the BB area too

jimjam
    Free Member

chrishc777 – Member

Why taco and not crank mount may I ask?

thered

Chrishc777 – It offers a little protection to the BB area too

Well that and most new 1x drivetrains don’t make it easy to fit a crank/spider bash anymore. Pros and cons I guess. I always hated the way they acted like a dirt trap beside the chain ring.

tomhoward – Member

It’s 2 bolts, what is there to go wrong?

The grade of plastic MRP use is/was particulalry susceptible to cracking and corroding when it came into contact with chain lube. Saw it on lots them. So, if was still the same I would foresee that bash cracking around the bolts before long.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Ah true, didn’t think of that!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

MRP AMG. It’s a bit bent from a lot of hits, guess that means it’s doing it’s job 🙂

nwmlarge
    Free Member

i use a Gamut SXR top and taco.

Wicked guide, small quiet and lets me skid over logs i can’t be bothered to hop

noahhowes
    Free Member

I run a 77 designz one, very small, very light, saved me buying a new chain/chainring a few times now.

http://77designz.com/product/crash-plate-32

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Chrishc777

What they said, and if you wack your chain set hard enough the spider will bend/break.

Mounting it to the frame means the only thing left to break is the the bash itself. It’s also only 1/3rd of the material/weight.

hatter

Whilst it’s very light and neat, the Trouble with the 77 designs one is that it transfers the loads straight to your frame, if done properly the ‘plastic’ guards such as the Gamut/MRP/Blackspire should destroy themselves in order to absorb a major impact and prevent damage to the frame. The lack of a third fixing point to brace it against sideways forces also makes it more likely to rip itself of the frame out if hit from an awkward angle.

It’s also quite thin so more likely to dig into something it hits than skip over it like a wider plastic guard.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s also quite thin so more likely to dig into something it hits than skip over it like a wider plastic guard.

I used to have a straightline guide which still used metal plates when everyone else went plastic (infact most had gone taco too by then, but the straightline was still lighter). I found it actually skimmed better, possibly more ‘ice skate’ and less ‘snow shoe’. Maybe it was in my head, but it wasn’t as clear cut as plastic = better.

jimjam
    Free Member

Oooooh it’s very nice though.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

I’ve been pleased with my Blackspire Bruiser. It seems to be fit and forget, although to fit it to my Trance I had to hacksaw one of the bolts down as it would have dug into my frame when fully tightened up.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/blackspire-bruiser-beavertail-1x-2x-bash-guard/rp-prod112082

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘"Taco" Bash guards.’ is closed to new replies.