Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tablet type things – Help please
  • sandwicheater

Had a very generous offer for an ipad 2 or similar type thing.

The tablet thing has passed me by and i’ve no clue what is equivalent/good.

Will some kind soul give me a top three to look at that are equivalent/not far off the ipad 2?

Just light use, web watching n stuffs.

I will of course pay you with the only accepted internet currency, cat videos.

[video]https://youtu.be/JxS5E-kZc2s[/video]

hugo
    Free Member

Not quite sure what you’re looking for.

Is someone offering to sell you an Ipad 2?

sandwicheater

Yeah, not much of what i said makes sense.

Is a gift of a new shiny thing.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tthew

What kind of phone do you have? Stick with Android/Apple for both phone and tablet then all the accounts and such are common is the advice I’d give.

After that, consider the screen size ratio, eg. I have a 7″ Google Nexus which is about the same height as an iPad mini, but much narrower. This makes on a web page hard to read in portrait, or only displays a thin slice of page in landscape.

As for specific makes/models, just go to a large shop and see what you like at the right price.

jekkyl

the ipad is hands down the best tablet on the market. I’ve used a fair few including the samsung one and the hudl and the ipad is just better.

sandwicheater

Cheers guys. Me & the Mrs both have apple phones so i reckon just stick with what we know. Cheers and enjoy the cats.

Cats for everyone!!

P-Jay
    Free Member

iPads are great, they didn’t make much sense to me at £900 but they’re cheap now.

Think if it as a smartphone with a bigger screen.

As for the iPad 2 – I don’t want to sound like a ‘Newist’ (just made that up) but it’s from 2011 – which for many things is pretty much new – I have underwear older than that, but for shinny device things it’s basically prehistoric – doesn’t mean it’s not good, as a someone who works in IT and has to use lots of different techy crap and various operating systems I believe that for mobile stuff iOS is the best especially for casual users – but most things on the market today will be faster and generally ‘better’, this is compounded by Apple’s erm, how shall I put this, arseholeness – basically when it came out it ran on the 4th version of Apple’s mobile operating system – it will run the latest version 9 – but with every OS comes new features which put an ever greater strain on the hardware – plus I’m sure they purposely make the old ones run slower to entice owners to upgrade.

If I were the OP I would gratefully take it, leave whatever OS the previous owners has on it, on it and see if you like it – they last a decent amount of time if you don’t drop them it’s a decent web portal, music player thing, if it truly changes your world perhaps upgrade to a newer faster one.

wrecker
    Free Member

I have an ipad 2, and an update has turned it into an expensive paperweight. No way (that I can find) of un-updating it either. Apparently the update (which offers no advantage in terms of features/useability) is too memory hungry for the ipad 2 which I refuse to believe Apple didn’t know about, yet didn’t advise on.
    I’ll never buy another.

P-Jay
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

I have an ipad 2, and an update has turned it into an expensive paperweight. No way (that I can find) of un-updating it either. Apparently the update (which offers no advantage in terms of features/useability) is too memory hungry for the ipad 2 which I refuse to believe Apple didn’t know about, yet didn’t advise on.
    I’ll never buy another.

Shit isn’t it? every iDevice I’ve ever had has died at the hands of it’s maker in this way.

I refuse to believe they don’t bench test older hardware – after all, somethings they just stop giving updates to, but it’s a form of inbuilt obsolescence – unfortunately there’s usually only a tiny window of opportunity to roll back OS – the only one available now is 9.0.2 to 9.0.1 which is pointless, 9.0.1 is 9 with some bug fixes, 9.0.2 is more bug fixes.

Even my ‘old’ iPhone 6 doesn’t work as well on 9 as it did on 8 (it was on 7 for a bit and super fast then) I won’t update to 10 as in my experience that’ll be the OS which makes it crap (it’ll be about iPhone 7 era so when most 6 owners will be due and upgrade) and 11 will effectively brick it.

sandwicheater

Cats for you two.

Is the air version of the ipad two working on updated hardware or just a re-mash of the previous ipad two?

wrecker
    Free Member

Cats for you two

Cats? I have a dog. Any good?
    I suppose the lesson is; never ever update. I don’t update my MBP, apple TV or iphone now.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Fried or Boiled?

iPad ‘Air’ isn’t a version, it’s a later model – using the original iPad naming system it would be an iPad5, confusing I know.

It was iPad 1, 2, 3, 4, iPad Air, iPad Air 2 – iPad Pro is the next one.

BUT it’s not as clear cut as that as Apple have in recent years kept selling older models as ‘discount’ versions (they’re still expensive though. iPad 2 actually sold for a long time as a discount model, and outlived the 3 and the 4 (oddly)

The Oldest iPad Air will only be 18months old or something, came out iOS7 and now run 9 and I suspect will run 9 perfectly well, but I wouldn’t go to 10 (when it comes out, probably next year).

sandwicheater

P-Jay, that chart is just what i’ve been looking for.

It the ipad air 2 we’ve had an offer for.

Everyone, give back your cats, P-Jay get the lot to do as he pleases (please make a pie, please make a pie).

andyl
    Free Member

Bought the OH an Ipad Air 2 for Christmas. She loves it. I prefer android but I have to admit it is quite nice (I got a lowly Hudl2, which is cracking by it’s own merit)

I don’t think there is any point in hesitating to take it. Especially if you already like Apple software.

lunge

If it’s an Air 2 take it, if it’s a “normal” 2 be more hesitant, I have the latter and it is getting VERY slow.

Kato

have an ipad 2, and an update has turned it into an expensive paperweight

This. Mine is absolutely useless now. Puts me off buying another

mogrim

So by that chart, when can I expect my daughters’ iPad minis to basically stop working?

sandwicheater

Tuesday.

P-Jay
    Free Member

@mogrim – there’s an almost mathematical way of working it out based on the OS it started with, basically the one it comes, you basically get 2 updates from the one that launched about the same time as the device before it’ll get slow, go one more than that and it’s basically useless.

The thing is updates are optional, and frankly after a while offer zero upgrade because of hardware limitation – I never intended to go to 9 from 8 because it’s all touch sensitive stuff and my ‘old’ iPhone 6 can’t do that – but they do there bloody damnest to update for you – if you don’t update your daughters mini’s they’ll last until the screen breaks or the battery dies (5 years).

CountZero

My iPad 3, wot I am tapping on at this very moment, is running the latest update of iOS 9. And isn’t noticeably slower than on iOS 8.
    It will get replaced very soon, though; it is showing its age, and there’s no comparison weight-wise to the Air models.
    Might have a shufti at the Pro model, when the Apple Store in Bath finally get some.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tablet type things – Help please’ is closed to new replies.