Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tablet or not?
  • cudubh

OK, I am typing this on the laptop, my wife has a blackberry playbook and we both have blackberry smartphones and I have a Kindle. I have a hankering after a tablet but suspect this is just a guy’s gadget thing. The smartphone is not brilliant for browsing but great for email. The playbook belongs to the Mrs so I don’t get to play with it much. The Kindle is brilliant for books but is really limited to that. A tablet would be just for browsing, mostly stuff like singletrack. The laptop is handy for work type stuff but a little bulky. I can afford £150 ish for a tablet. Should I bother or just spend it on bike related stuff that I don’t need?

growinglad
    Free Member

hmmmm, I’ve got the kindle Fire HD…mainly gets used as a book, but I do use it for browsing too…actually after being used as a book I think it’s pretty good for skype…just the right size for the kids to hold it whilst they do video chats with relatives…..but I do find it a bit restrictive…can only do what Amazon wants you to do and it’s a little buggy with certain web sites…..I like the fact if I want a book, I buy it there and then and can start to read, I like the skype….whether I’d buy one again…perhaps I’d spend a bit more and go for I-pad mini.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.johnlewis.com/search/asus-nexus+7?s_kenid=5a922619-48b7-e189-3a4f-00005067b38c&s_kwcid=7×1388064&tmad=c&tmcampid=52
    Nexus 7 for £200 – seems to be about for less (can’t see the UK prices from Oz)

However I’ve not gone with the tablet thing yet, Galaxy S3 as a phone works well for browsing for me and after that I value having a bigger screen and not loosing it to a keyboard for typing really. That and I have the laptop for heaps more stuff than a tablet would work well for.

argoose
    Free Member

Tablet here.
    Only time lap top comes out is for music/letters/photos and printing.
    Day to day use is tablet. Got kindle app for books.
    Connectivity a bit of an issue, that’s why I have lap top too.

fasthaggis

The playbook belongs to the Mrs so I don’t get to play with it much

Do you like it when you do get to play with it ?

If so then go get another one ,they are as cheap as a potato based snack.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Connectivity a bit of an issue, that’s why I have lap top too.

I’ve been playing about with a Samsung 7 inch tablet this last week and the main bug seems to be the wifi card. Seems they don’t like walls.

piemonster

Work aside.

The only thing I use my laptop for now in preference over a laptop is memory map.

cudubh

Well, it looks like there seems to be a trend towards getting a tablet. That makes me feel better. The playbook is part of the reason for being interested in getting one but while it does work well with the blackberry in other ways it seems limited. I am not a huge fan of Apple so even at a lower price an ipad wouldn’t be greatly appealing. A Nexus 7 does look quite fun.

piemonster

Work aside.

The only thing I use my laptop for now in preference over a tablet is memory map.

Too late to fix that typo

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve got an s2, nexus 7 and a chromebook along with a desktop. I’m increasingly using just the s2 and chromebook for browsing. The nexus is good but there’s too much overlap I think.

ojom
    Free Member

Misleading thread reported. I was hoping for scottish sweet based internet chat.

jimmers
    Free Member

I’ve got an iPad, though any tablet will do. Tablets are great for “I will just have a quick on the Internet for xyz”. With a laptop it’s more like; I will have a look on the Internet but can’t be bothered to wait for the laptop to boot up so I won’t bother…

mattbibbings
    Free Member

I have a very nice laptop that is a pleasure to use but since I got an ipad mini I use it for 90% of my web browsing. Great gadget. Love it. Would not be without it now.

patriotpro
    Free Member

IMHO – £150 isn’t enough for a top NEW tablet. Kindles are restricted for some of the most commonly used apps such as YouTube and google.

It has to be a Nexus or Ipad. My advice would be to buy either of those 2nd hand. Just make sure it’s ipad 2 or above.

dannybgoode

Why not get another Playbook. Fantastic value for money at the moment – £129 from PC World for the 64GB model.

You are not going to get a better tablet for less than £150 IMHO.

Cheers

Danny B

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tablet or not?’ is closed to new replies.