Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tablet for 8 year old
  • growinglad
    Free Member

So, the eldest has asked if she could have a tablet for Christmas.

She uses mine from time to time, she’s getting quite into her reading and the school sent out some good educational web sites that we quite often go through together.

My mum said she’d quite like to get it for her and has asked me which one.

Being as I have a kindle I’m clueless as to what’s good and what’s not.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    GL

Drac

iPad mini or Amazon Fire.

paulhaycraft

My boys are 9 and 10. One has had a Kindle fire for a couple of years. Seems pretty good. The other has recently got a Lenovo which seems very good for the price although the small one is little bigger than a large phone. They’re both happy with them.

Younger one had a hudl before that. Wasn’t as impressed with that but I think they’re obsolete now anyway (not checked that).

johndoh
    Free Member
    nre
    Free Member

The 7″ Fire seems great – our 2 kids (8 & 11) have one each from last Christmas. There’s an option to run the kids on a secondary account that’s quite locked down, although after trying for a while we stopped using it and now just use the parental controls on a ‘full’ account.

A quick chat message to Amazon and they removed the lockscreen ads.

I also installed Google Play Store (has to be done via PC), setup a new shared google account for the tablets which I then share suitable content via google family library.

Nico
    Free Member

Ritalin

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You sure she asked for a tablet, and not just tablet?….

johndoh
    Free Member

although after trying for a while we stopped using it and now just use the parental controls on a ‘full’ account.

Yeah we did that – kid mode lasted about 5 minutes when we realised that they couldn’t get to shared content such as movies and music etc.

A quick chat message to Amazon and they removed the lockscreen ads.

I also installed Google Play Store (has to be done via PC), setup a new shared google account for the tablets which I then share suitable content via google family library.
    Interested in how you went about both of these….

jekkyl

ipad mini

johndoh
    Free Member

ipad mini

I hope you is only fishing…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tablet for 8 year old’ is closed to new replies.