Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • TA rings on m970 xtr
  • mr2wheels
    Free Member

has anyone used them ?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Seem some but not used them 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

njee does IIRC

EDIT – actually, I think he's using XX

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Onzadog
    Free Member

tick.

I'd like to know as well.

njee20
    Free Member

I did used to Clubber you're right, you need some 2mm spacers on the granny ring, as the M970 is thicker, otherwise they're perfect.

mr2wheels
    Free Member

IIRC?

lucien

Dont buy them – they don't fit!!! Take it from me and my bitter, biter experience. Chewed through a set of XTR rings on M970 crankset, went to get some replacements and can only get Shimano ones to fit, so cranks in the garage due to the price – silly stupid amounts of cash.

I've had a falling out with CRC over this, having bought some Middleburn ones that didn't fit and sent them back, also some TA one's that didn't fit – the BCD is fine (as indicated) it's that on the XTR ones the shape of the bolt hole is rounded slightly so that aftermarket chainrings don't fit

clubber
    Free Member
    reggiegasket
    Free Member

Dont buy them – they don't fit!!!

some here that seem to. Maybe it's the 2×9 thing.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53945

njee20
    Free Member

They've worked fine for me.

TA Outer:

TA middle and inner:

I must admit to never have used 3 TA rings, but I've used them in all positions and they work fine!

Edit: I've never noticed that the outer ring was the wrong way round on the Epic, still shifted fine!

petey_pants
    Free Member

Got xtr inner, slx 36t middle and saint bash ring on mine

rexated
    Free Member

njee – my old fading eyes can't work out what ratios you are running there, can you tell me the number of teeth on rings? and did you find you needed shorter bolts, or spacers?
    ta in advance

njee20
    Free Member

The top picture is 30/42, the bottom one is 28/40, the latter was better, and was done with 2mm spacers on the inner ring, and short bolts on the outer ring.

rexated
    Free Member

Cheers njee. 28/40 sounds about ideal to me as long as there's clearance for the inner ring on a scott scale….only one sure way to find out 🙂 (or is that hardtail of yours a scale????)

njee20
    Free Member

It's not, it was an eBay carbon frame!

It will work, but the shifting's not perfect, you can't get the e-type front mech low enough. You may get a bit more chain rub, using Grip Shift would probably solve it, you can 'trim' the front mech.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

It will fit fine on a Scale, you're problem will be the E-type mech. You can't lower them so the shifting is not as good as it could be, I found it chainsucked a lot too on mine. Nothing to do with the sizes as my XX runs perfectly on the same frame using an XX front mech (non e-type)

rexated
    Free Member

hmmm, hadn't thought about the need to lower the mech….cheers for the advice.

Northwind

Not sure why varying rings wouldn't fit, M960 sure but M970 has the same bolt spacing as XT etc. Mine has a deore steel middle ring and an SLX little ring. Little ring needs spacers as the XTR one is a funny shape but that's all, everything else including the bashring bolted straight on.

If you buy an "XTR specific" middle ring for M970 I think it won't fit as those are usually for M960?

njee20
    Free Member

Certainly M960 had the unique BCD, but yes anything should fit on an M970 middle.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I thought this was going to be about the XTR M970 specific TA rings. Semics or something like that. Anyone used those?

njee20
    Free Member

TA Sismic, all they really achieve is a matching 'profile' on the big ring, so it looks better on the spider. I'd use standard Chinooks myself (well, I did!)

Onzadog
    Free Member

But don't the Sismic rings also avoid any spacing issues?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘TA rings on m970 xtr’ is closed to new replies.