Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • T5 Camper/Labrador Travel options
  • ssmith1979
    Free Member

So, knowing there are few T5 camper owners I am hoping for some advice…

We have a full width bed and sink unit fitted leaving a reasonable amount of floor space within which we’d like to safely accommodate our soon to arrive Labrador. Kids occupy back seat when we travel and I would’t want him on there anyway.

So it is either a plastic crate of some description secured to the floor with a (yet to be devised) anchor mechanism, or some form of harness mechanism, perhaps using an anchor point/floor mounted seatbelt arrangement?

Labrador size crates (thinking 36″/91cm minimum) are massive, and fitting a harness each time you travel is a faff.

I’m not prepared to have ‘loose’ dog for safety reasons, although I’m quite sure there are some who would be happy with this.

What do other STW’ers do? Thanks!

Ps. Changing van/dog/children not an option!

allfankledup

We have a kombi
    Small cheeky dog is crated in the back of the van, crate tied to floor loops of t5. Big dog is tethered to another floor loop by her harness.

A lab crate is a real faff in a camper – I’d use a harness and a floor loop, keeping the dog tethered just behind the front seats.

Hopefully the lab won’t eat his way through the lead – we used a wire lead in the past to secure out staffies due to this issue…

ssmith1979
    Free Member

Thanks – I’m beginning to think a harness might be the way to go given the lack of space issue. Reality this won’t protect dog in the event of a very serious crash, but it might at least protect us from getting injured by flying dog.

Horrible to consider, but has to be thought about.

How much of a faff are the harnesses to fit/remove at the beginning/end of each journey?

dovebiker

We use a dog harness that loops through the seatbelt – dogs don’t mind the harness as they’re going out in the van!

ssmith1979
    Free Member

@dovebiker – thanks – do they sit on seat or floor?

allfankledup

Ruffwear harness works well on ours – seconds to fit.

ssmith1979
    Free Member

@AFU – again, thanks. Are dogs on rear seat with harness or on floor of van?

beefheart
    Free Member

Frankers
    Free Member

We just put a dog bed on the floor behind the front seats and use a harness which is attached to front seat buckle.

simmy
    Free Member

I’m not sure if I have read it correct about your set up but I’m presuming you have a space in the centre of the van behind the rear seats so how’s about a foldable cage that will fit relatively snugly in that area ?

It can be secured to the back of the rear seats. I’ve a Lab and he travels in my Vivaro in his foldable crate which is secured to the frame behind the drivers seat. It’s a big crate but folds up so its only about 100mm thick so it easy to store when I need the Van space.

A plastic cage will just be a PITA to store.

MrTricky
    Free Member

Our lab travels in a folding bike trailer (for dogs) behind the front passenger seat. A metal cage also works well. This is secured to a lashing eye just behind the front seat using a carabiner. Second carabiner secures behind the drivers seat frame, van is a T4. Using a harness does restrict the dog from being able to get comfy & ours like to create a good ‘nest’ to rest in. I’m sure that T5s will have similar lashing eye locations.
    We also use the lashing eye and a rope to keep the dog secure on site which means she can hop in and out at will and not get into trouble.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘T5 Camper/Labrador Travel options’ is closed to new replies.