• This topic has 23 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by robh.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • T5 Bike van awning / tent
  • nunuboogie
    Free Member

I am currently using a vango sun canopy but looking something with a door and a better fit to the van. I have considered modifying the vango and adding a door plus additional fitting to slide attach to the van but this is a mammoth task.
    After searching the web I found this design gybe-design.com it looks amazing but also has an amazing price to match!
    Any similar models on the market or has anybody had any joy adapting a current tent?

Bimbler
    Free Member

Haven’t got a motorhome/van but seen some nice Outwell ones, googled it for you and it appears to be a Outwell Country Road

alfabus
    Free Member

Try over on http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=147. More likely to get some answers from van people.

I don’t use an awning at the moment for my T5, but I have heard good things about Khyam.

Dave

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Great thanks both, I have an old Khyam tent couldn’t fault it at all.

SimonR

Currently got one of these … vaude drive base

Been through several other products and this is easily the best we’ve tried for a variety of reasons (ease of putting up, packed size, stability, etc.)

There is a bellows-type arangement to fit it tight up to the van at the top but a gap at the side to allow the door to slide.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I use one of the decathlon quecha? Large pop up tents.. erect it in 2 mins.. fits quite well on the side of the van and can also be used as a standalone tent. It’s priceless the look on peoples face when you turn up, throw up the awning in 3 mins, light the bbq, and be sat enjoying a cold beer 5 mins after your arrival.

adrenalindaddy
    Free Member

I got one of these that goes on my T5, I did add a gutter strip to the van so that it can lock in

Royal Traveller

Goes up easy enough, and because of all the doors vents and windows its really flexible, has a couple of poles that run inside that are great for hanging stuff on too

Never used the inner tent yet – maybe when the kids are older

Its a good size, plenty of room for kit for 4 of us – bikes and boards etc
    Access straight out the van into the tent and zip it up front and back and drive away when you need to

robh

Got one of these http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/shakespeare-movelite-square-p96569?gclid=CI6g1c2hn7UCFcbMtAodNjwAug for the t3.

Can take a little jiggery to get the sliding door and van attachments to sit correctly.

Comes with the inner and ground sheet so no hidden extras, packs easily and quick to put up.

billyblackheart
    Free Member

We use Khyam we didn’t use the Gutter strip but went with putting eyelets in and running guys over the van makes driving away much easier.

I think one thing most khyam owners do once is put the Sliding door through the side 🙂

Can’t fault them really and from driving in to beer is a matter of minutes.

ianpv
    Free Member

Khyam motordome for me – graet – put it up on my own in 5 mins.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Khyam Motordome here too. Very quick to put up as the frame stays in the ‘tent’ and pops up like a brolly.
    Huge main room with 2 – 4 man tent off to one side for guests or kids etc.
    Not the smallest pack size though. You do have to consider where it is going to go once packed up.

wheeleeneelee
    Free Member

Packashack do a T5 specific version …

http://www.packashack.co.uk/camper-shacks.html

IHN

I’m struggling to see the point of those packashacks.

Stoner
    Free Member

We started off with this vaude thing.
    Didnt like it much. Heavy, a git to erect, not very useful space either.

got rid of it and instead got a simply Reimo tarp that pulls into the multi rail. Couple of poles and guys and a handy rain/sun shade. Takes up no space.

For space outside the van we now use a large Quechua pop up base tent. 100 sq ft. Much more useful space – sleeping, eating, playing. Easy to erect and collapse (5mins up 8mins down). Takes up a bit of space admittedly, but now with four on hols it’s great.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Quecha base works great for us with our Mazda Bongo.

billyblackheart
    Free Member

I’m struggling to see the point of those packashacks.

Looks like something a Londoner would use to change into their wetsuit.

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Stoner I was looking back at your homemade window insulation covers last night, great thread. Going to follow suit and make some for the inside rear and side windows, we have a proper external one for the front.

robh

Home made insulation covers, where? Are they the ones in the pictures up above? I need to do something for my sunroof.

Stoner
    Free Member

blimey that’s a bit historic nunub!

I still use ours though.
    The ones in the front that you can see are shop ones (came with the T4) but for a full set for the rear was going to cost a bomb. So when the van needs winterising the home made ones get packed too.

One day I might think about an external one for the pop roof but TBH, we dont really use the van in winter with 4 sleeping inside.

robh

Cheers, look just the ticket.

billyblackheart
    Free Member

^ Robh we’ve got a fair roll of that stuff left over from insulating the headlining if you want it. Call it 50% of what you can get it for in B&Q?

justme
    Free Member

Another vote for the Khyam here thankfully noticed the sliding door thing before any damage done piece if pipelagging slotted onto the top of the door solves it but care is still req
    G

robh

Cheers Billy, think I may have enough left over though, made a single layer one up previously, but didn’t think of bonding multiple layers.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘T5 Bike van awning / tent’ is closed to new replies.