• This topic has 42 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by cozz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • T4 van buying advice – Do I take a loan?
  • gazerath
    Free Member

I’m wondering if I should take a loan out to buy a Type 4 camper van. Seen an amazing one but its lots of money. I’ve always wanted a van to go off on adventures with but never taken the plunge to get one.

I’ve never really had a loan before, except for student loan, which doesnt count in my eyes.

In camper owners experience is it a good investment, will the monthly loan payments feel ok knowing I own a cool van?

The van has done 121 thousand miles, diesel engine 2461 cc. 2002. Fully kitted out, only bit of rust is under wheel arch and on petrol cap. Otherwise looks tidy. Full service history.

mmmmmmm?

bazzer
    Free Member

Get a cheaper van instead rather than a trendy VW and don’t have a loan 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Do you have te funds to fix it when it breaksdown ?

Parts are spendy and hard to find cheap at a breakers once the scene tax is added

Define lots of money 121k on the clock and rusty and is it homebrew or factory conversion … I wouldnt hand over more than 3/4k inc scene tax how ever i suspect its going for 7/8k ? Or more if its got a factory conversion in

T4 were fairly ground breaking in that they are genuinely nice vehicles to drive a a time when vans on the whole were still fairly mince if you were used to a car.

Most other vans have caught up now so dont keep the blinkers on unless buying rancid body kits and bling bling side steps is your thing.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Save up so you own it outright. Nothing beats that feeling of buying something you have saved really hard for.

trail_rat
    Free Member

is this you ? 😉

GolfChick
    Free Member

A loan may also not be your best interest wise and ending up costing you more, is there no way you can get a fee free credit card and withdrawn it or buy it that way? (I’m not saying you should be in debt etc all im saying is if its the only way….. lets face it you cant take it with ya and take it from someone who knows, your money wont get you any better care when you’re old n past it!)

br
    Free Member

Rent one for your first trip and decide whether you could live with it.

And loans are fine, for buying things you can’t afford – but not so fine for buying depreciating assets.

If the purchase price is £10k and the loan plus interest is £12k – it’s actually a £12k van.

darbeze
    Free Member

You’ll need a loan just for the repair bills, especially with the 2.5 engine. Steer clear if I were you… Lovely looking vans and practical too, just very poor engine design on the 2.5. High miler like you describe is asking for trouble.

Not as cool, but a good old Ford Transit would be cheaper to buy, and maintain. You just won’t look coolll

🙂

hora
    Free Member

If it was me, personally I’d look at a newer van and do a semi conversion as you go along.

121k can mean its a good engine with lots of life or it could also mean its done 121k and will be quite tired/with bore clearances etc etc- it all depends how/when and what type of oil it was used with/how it was driven (laboured up climbs in wrong gear fully loaded) etc etc).

Too many variables. Personally I’d (thinking of) buying a Toyota Hi-Ace and doing a side window conversion with a semi- conversion on the rear so its still usable as a daily transport.

badnewz
    Free Member

If you have a stable income, then why not. Treat yourself!

hora
    Free Member

If you have a stable income, then why not. Treat yourself!

AGREE- Push the boat out and buy a newer one that you make tired/put the mileage on though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

are you a short ass hora ? i am traveling back and forth to work in a fairly new >3 year old hiace mini bus and i wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy.

rickmeister

Have a look on the T4 Forum, loads of good info there.. 121k miles isn’t a lot realy, but like everyone says, it depends

trail_rat
    Free Member

i also agree with hora – if you going to get a loan do it to buy something that will be an asset instead of a total drain.

im looking at sprinters/transits/and there counterparts atm.

seems that 5-10k gets me an end of life high milage unit or 15-20 gets me a nearly new 20/30k on the clock. and there doesnt seem to be a middle ground. but i know which will sell easier when im done…..

pictonroad

2 questions. Should you buy a T4 2.5? Yes, they’re highly regarded vans with good combination of space/power and reliability and if you buy well (westfalia/reimo etc) horizontal depreciation.

Should you get a loan? Can you extend your mortgage, some amazing low interest rates at the moment, it’s never been cheaper to borrow money. Just don’t extend yourself too much.

LoCo
    Free Member

Check everything, alot of grumlins can be hidden under conversions.

Also check out: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/

Currently converting the company T4 (2.4 non turbo, shortnose) to a do everything, van, camper, dayvan with removeable kitchen, seats, beds etc.

Out of all the vans I’ve had (vivaro, transit,(although sprinters are nice for a bigger van although rust a bit))
    I like the T4 the best as it’s easyily the best put together and very reliable it look after properly.

121K is reasonably low for the 2.5 turbo engine, as long as it’s been serviced on the button and not been fiddled with by a bodger.

porter_jamie

make sure it’s LEZ exempt – on an 02 it might not be i think

gazerath
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice think I am talking myself out of it a bit. Going to have a look around and see what else is about and work out the finances as well.

Not thinking about repair costs and should be. Durrrrr

hora
    Free Member

are you a short ass hora ? i am traveling back and forth to work in a fairly new >3 year old hiace mini bus and i wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy.

I’ve driven and moved house using one. You mean sitting in the back or generally moving about in the back?

I’m buying with a view of it being a compromise of sorts- small enough to use daily but also usable.

LoCo
    Free Member

oh and don’t pay over the odds, there are some silly priced vans out there, maybe look into a non converted tidy one and get it done yourself to your own spec. (this is why I’m converting my current panel van as I know it’s solid and had been looked after)

trail_rat
    Free Member

i mean sitting up front – lack of leg room , i mean sitting in the back , i mean the low floor to roof height i mean the crashy ride that makes a leafer series 2 feel like luxury

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’ve always wanted a van to go off on adventures with but never taken the plunge to get one.

Realistically how much time do you have to go adventuring? I toyed with buying a camper to take my daughter away in at weekends. Then I worked it out, I reckon we would have probably got away 4 times a year in it. So divide the cost of the van by the amount of time you would spend away in it. It’s probably cheaper per night to stay in nice hotels.

geoffj

It’s probably cheaper per night to stay in nice hotels.

Or hire one

trail_rat
    Free Member

for me its about the spontinaeity

due to work i cant book in advance for anything-, (anyone want to hear graeme obrees take on life in tarland later this month ? i have spares as im stuck in africa)but do have alot of time off.

I like waking up in the morning and loading my van and buggering off for a few days.

You would think that this would mean cheap hotels via the last minute websites but it appears that in anywhere decent in the north west of scotland the prices go up and hostels fill up early which means i have to try and find somewhere to sleep before i do anything with my day.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I’m buying

No you’re not. You’re claiming you’re going to buy, but you won’t. Between here and PH you’ve been buying nearly every possible car on the market 🙂

faceplanter
    Free Member

make sure it’s LEZ exempt – on an 02 it might not be i think

Last time I looked, vans under 3.5 tonne GVW were LEZ exempt.

pictonroad

ps. T4 not Type 4

tags are wrong.

hora
    Free Member

No you’re not. You’re claiming you’re going to buy, but you won’t. Between here and PH you’ve been buying nearly every possible car on the market

😆

Once upon a time it was a new car on my drive every other month. I’m still 18months into a 2yr lease so its been day-dreaming for the past 18months 8)

spectabilis
    Free Member

If you don’t mind an orange one maybe take a look at the ex-RAC T5’s and fit your own interior ..The RAC spec van has some nice extras ….Electric windows, air con, tailgate, uprated springs and a split-charge system and generally will have had no expense spared when it comes to servicing.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I bet you are in the minority though Trail Rat. A lucky minority.

onehundredthidiot

Had a yellow AA T5. As specs says they will have been serviced but the mileage is no indication of engine wear. They may well have done 120k but the engine may have done twice that in running while the van sits still (ok not the same wear as on the move but it adds up).

xiphon
    Free Member

*scene tax*…. yawn

gazerath
    Free Member

Well I’m still toying with the idea. Part goes yay, part goes no. I might just go have a look at the van and waste the owners time tomorrow properly. I can but have a look and see under the bonnet and hear it run.

I have grand ideas of setting up a teaching workshop business, so a van would be ace for that. I’m quite spontaneous in the fact I like to just pack up and head off and camp every month or so so sleeping in side of road would be cheaper then camp sites. But partner puts a dampener on that these days, but I still try.

gazerath
    Free Member

My brother use to have an old beetle so I like the scene of VW’s ;-P

pictonroad

Bus Fest is in early September if you want to immerse yourelf in the ‘scene’ and scout about different types of vans and talk to owners about living with them, values etc..

gazerath
    Free Member

A friend recommend Bus Fest. I can only go on the Sunday as doing the Tour 100 mile ride on the Saturday. Perhaps might pop there first and then decide what to do. Thanks for reminding me.

pictonroad

come say hi if you see us, big red high top in the Brickyard club camping area.

James

hora
    Free Member

How much is the van OP? Is it trade/dealer sale?

How much is the %finance and the monthly payments?

nealglover
    Free Member

You’ll need a loan just for the repair bills, especially with the 2.5 engine. Steer clear if I were you… Lovely looking vans and practical too, just very poor engine design on the 2.5. High miler like you describe is asking for trouble.

What specifically are you referring to ?

I’ve done something like 250,000 miles in 4 different T4’s (2.5TDi’s) over the last 9 years and never had any major repair bills or any problems at all other than normal servicing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘T4 van buying advice – Do I take a loan?’ is closed to new replies.