Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 189 total)
  • Syrian or Russian ?
  • cranberry
    Free Member

The Turkish air force has just shot down a plane that entered Turkish air space and would not respond to requests for it to leave:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34907983

Pigface
    Free Member

Take cover, incoming

atlaz
    Free Member

One of the airforces needs to confirm it as both are using the SU-24.

willyboy
    Free Member

I was secretly hoping this was about hamsters 🙁

matt_outandabout

I was secretly hoping this was about hamsters

+1

This could unravel it it is Russian….

allthepies
    Free Member

Not going to go down well (no pun intended) with Vlad.

wrecker
    Free Member

Uh-oh.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Meh, in a conventional conflict the Turks would shit all over the Russians – so I’m not worried. Rather amused that a Nato country has got the balls to shoot a Russian plane down tbh.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I suspect there will be some low level verbal handbags, but will then be brushed under the carpet.

Of course, the daily wail website will go into meltdown. Hopefully

binners

There was a certain inevitability to this, really, They’ve had enough warnings about what would happen if they continued to overfly other peoples territory.

The difference is that when they do it to us, we send a plane up to firmly, but politely request that they bugger off. The Turks are bordering a war zone, which I would think would lead to considerably more sensitive trigger fingers when it comes to unknown aircraft violating your airspace

cokie

Aren’t the Turks sympathetic to the anti-Assad forces? 90%-ish of Turkey are Sunni and the political party in power are Sunni (IIRC). It’s in their interest to shoot down the Russians and Syrians.. Plus the airstrikes are supporting the Peshmerga offensive against ISIS, and we all know how much Turks love them..

stewartc
    Free Member

The Turks shoot down fellow NATO members planes, they are a tad sensitive to all this ‘fly over’ stuff.

pk13

What will Dave do now will his warplane bombing dreams not get off the ground or are we going to make the airspace above turkey look like Heathrow at Easter holidays

Junkyard
    Free Member

wont lead to WW3 but there will be some unhappy people in Russia today

I suspect they will be careful about not straying into Turkey now

mrchrispy

I reckon the russian jet will have had a dashcam to prove it wasnt in turkey airsapce

dragon
    Free Member

What will Dave do now will his warplane bombing dreams not get off the ground

You what? The USAF are already flying out of Turkey, with possibly a RAF presence also.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Shirley someone radio’d the plane first with “oi, fat head, bugger off out of here or we’ll encourage you to bugger off”

That kinda thing.

If they ignored it, serves themselves right.

epicyclo

Hopefully not an Arch-Duke Ferdinand type event…

chewkw
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member

Meh, in a conventional conflict the Turks would shit all over the Russians – so I’m not worried.

That I would disagree.

Rather amused that a Nato country has got the balls to shoot a Russian plane down tbh.

Turkey is the the Nato rouge.

Turkey will / should never be allowed to join EU. Fact!

epicyclo – Member

It will happen not a matter of if but when …

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

They are about to run out of money for fuel and bombs. Half their air force is falling apart, the other half is comprised of 90 percent 1980s garbage.

Turkey on the other hand has relatively modern F-16s, that are in good condition and have high mission availability. A well networked air defense system and well trained pilots who get a decent amount of flying time each year.

The same can’t be said for Russia. The Russians are not going to kick off.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Reports of a Russian chopper now shot down too..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It will happen not a matter of if but when …

Fun-fact. At the time this barely registered in the news. It’s only long after the event that it it was interpreted as a simple cause & effect relationship with the start of the war. It may have contributed to increased tension but it wasn’t the touchpaper that it’s since been taught as in schools.

The Torygraph the day after, it’s on page 13.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ww1-archive/10926353/Daily-Telegraph-June-29-1914.html

v8ninety

I really hate to say this, but some of the things that Putin has been reported as saying in response to this event are ringing very true; accusing Turkey of profiteering, buying ISIS’s oil, secretly siding with terror etc, all fall into line with some other articles about Turkeys complicity regarding the Syria situation. Interesting that the jet crashed 4km into Syria; that’s not a huge margin of error but means that it was a close call for Turkey.

On the other hand, it’s not like Putin has a good record for honesty when it comes to shot down aircraft.

Dick state on dick state action, it seems.

chewkw
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member
    They are about to run out of money for fuel and bombs. Half their air force is falling apart, the other half is comprised of 90 percent 1980s garbage.

Yes, that might be the case but that does not stop them fighting … If they West engage them then be prepared for casualties. Can you stomach that?

Turkey on the other hand has relatively modern F-16s, that are in good condition and have high mission availability. A well networked air defense system and well trained pilots who get a decent amount of flying time each year.

Ya, but they are flown by Turkish …

The same can’t be said for Russia. The Russians are not going to kick off.

They might not kick off for the moment but Turkey is definitely on their radar now … especially they are ethnically linked to some of the central Asia people.

DrJ

Monstrous hypocrisy by Turkey, of course, who violate Greek airspace on a daily basis.

cokie

Do you see that tiny little area on the map where the red line, denoting the Russian fighter jet, very briefly crosses into southern Turkey (marked by turquoise borders)? That’s the extent of airspace violation that prompted a NATO member state to shoot down a Russian SU-24.

matt_outandabout

Monstrous hypocrisy by Turkey, of course, who violate Greeks airspace on a daily basis.

😉

chewkw
    Free Member

Russian would not be sending SU-24 if they have the intention to fight Turkey …

stewartc
    Free Member

Two nations looking after their own self interests, the Russians propping up Assad and wanting to hang on to their Mediterranean base with the Turks looking after their fellow Turkman in he area and also ignoring Syria’s airspace when chasing the Kurds.

National self interest, who would have thought…the only problem being Turkeys NATO membership possibly dragging us all in to this and ISIS nearby.

dragon
    Free Member

Monstrous hypocrisy by Turkey, of course, who violate Greek airspace on a daily basis.

Hardly the same, there isn’t a war between Turkey and Greece currently, whereas the Russian’s were warned about violating Turkish airspace during attacks on Syria back in October.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

That’s not going to end well.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I think we’re supposed to lie down and put a paper bag over our head or something.

Drink up. The world’s about to end.

chewkw
    Free Member

I think it’s the beginning of more free space being available to the nature … less human is a good thing.

mrsfry
    Free Member

I just paid off my water bill and now the world is going to end!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ya, but they are flown by Turkish …

Alrite, let’s keep the discussion away from outright racism.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

You’ve read chewkw posts before right?

wrecker
    Free Member

The loss today is a stab in the back, carried out by the accomplices of terrorists. I can’t describe it in any other way.

Oh shit…..

pondo

You’ve read chewkw posts before right?

Only ever by accident.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

To be fair, the Turks are asking for a bit of retaliation. I can’t believe the EU and Nato put up with them – we are going out of our way to support the bombing of kurds (who are helping us fight ISIL) by aligning ourselves with their interests. Turkey haven’t done a damn thing to help (guess what, they are sunnis and there is a reason why every single country bordering them hates them, they are dicks as has been said previously).

But there won’t be a shooty war between Russia and Turkey, Putin will simply send a humanitarian delivery of S-300’s to the Kurds. Kurdish and a lot of soverign Turkish airspace will end up a no-fly zone for the Turkish airforce without Nato Wild Weasel support.

I don’t see Nato bombing the kurds anytime soon, Turkey lost the game before they even started – making Erdogan a prat.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 189 total)

The topic ‘Syrian or Russian ?’ is closed to new replies.