Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • Syria…
  • project
    Free Member

Transit van knocking round chester today asking for squaddies for the army, obviously theyre thinking of casulties or reducing the unemployment figures.

binners

People in power do try and do the right thing?

Bless.

chewkw
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Let’s put it another way. If you saw a woman or a child being beaten up in the street, would you do nothing? It’s not your problem, after all.

Your example is a rather poor really … I mean it’s not as if GeordieLand is full of battered women or children you know. However, if you live here perhaps you might feel differently as some of them really require some good beating. But I wouldn’t mess with those big Geordie lassess as their arms are bigger than my thighs put it this way and I certainly do not want to be in their way.

Nope. I will not intervene because that is a police matter so I shall call the police.

How badly beaten up are you referring to? Half dead? Dying? In that case it’s too late so I shall call ambulance …

In Syria, you let them sort out their problems themselves. If they want to gas their own that’s their problem.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    compositepro
    Free Member

good old michael jackson is whats needed

Think about the generations,
    and say we wanna make it a better place for our children and our children’s children, so that they know it’s a better world for them; And think if they can make it a better place…

There’s a place in your heart
    And I know that it is love
    And this place could be
    Brighter than tomorrow.
    And if you really try
    You’ll find there’s no need to cry
    In this place you’ll feel
    There’s no hurt or sorrow.
    There are ways to get there
    If you care enough for the living
    Make a little space, make a better place.

Chorus:
    Heal the world
    Make it a better place
    For you and for me and the entire human race
    There are people dying
    If you care enough for the living
    Make a better place for
    You and for me.

If you want to know why
    There’s a love that cannot lie
    Love is strong
    It only cares for joyful giving.
    If we try we shall see
    In this bliss we cannot feel
    Fear or dread
    We stop existing and start living
    Then it feels that always
    Love’s enough for us growing
    Make a better world, make a better world.

[Chorus]

Bridge:
    And the dream we would conceived in
    Will reveal a joyful face
    And the world we once believed in
    Will shine again in grace
    Then why do we keep strangling life
    Wound this earth, crucify it’s soul
    Though it’s plain to see, this world is heavenly
    Be God’s glow.

We could fly so high
    Let our spirits never die
    In my heart I feel
    You are all my brothers
    Create a world with no fear
    Together we’ll cry happy tears
    See the nations turn
    Their swords into plowshares
    We could really get there
    If you cared enough for the living
    Make a little space to make a better place.

Chorus (2x)

There are people dying if you care enough for the living
    Make a better place for you and for me.
    There are people dying if you care enough for the living
    Make a better place for you and for me.

You and for me / Make a better place
    You and for me / Heal the world we live in
    You and for me / Save it for our children

Read more: Micheal Jackson – Heal The World Lyrics | MetroLyrics

piemonster
    molgrips
    Free Member

Nope. I will not intervene because that is a police matter so I shall call the police.

That is intervening.

In the case of Syria, we ARE the police. Or at least, the UN is.

Put it this way, if I were being gassed in Syria by my own government, I’d really want someone from another country to come and help.

wrecker
    Free Member

Make no mistake, the uk getting involved is dumb dumb dumb.
    If the UN want to intervene, then we can provide some resources along with the other UN nations. It’s the main reason they exist FFS. If Russia vetos it, then we need to stay well away.

binners

Are you aware that the jihadist nutjobs brave freedom fighters we’ll now be supporting are busy ethnically cleansing the areas of the country they presently occupy? I’m sure they’re being very kind to the christian and kurdish children as they do it though.

chewkw
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

That is intervening.

In the case of Syria, we ARE the police. Or at least, the UN is.

The police are appointed ones not the gangsters type you are referring to of Western power. It’s a matter for UN not Western power. Western power acts like a bully by taking side.

piemonster

Put it this way, if I were being gassed in Syria by my own government, I’d really want someone from another country to come and help.

Google image search ‘Edited*’ with safe search off.

I’d genuinely advise you don’t do this.

Edit* screw that. I do t even want to suggest even an obvious search term.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I wold love to understand the background to Cameron backtracking this evening. Is this Milliband’s (rather than Alexander I assume) first real foreign policy success. If so, good for him.

Newsnight covering it now!!!

kimbers

Milliband has outmanouvered Cameron on this one

id like to think hes done it based on principals rather than politicking

but I suppose if it makes MPs think a bit harder about what they are voting for its a good thing (at the very least wait for the UN inspectors to report?)

It seems the threat alone has sent the willies up the Syrians, with military and government buildings emptied and the economy further paralysed while they wait for a US attack

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I wold love to understand the background to Cameron backtracking this evening.

Possibly a clue here :

Labour, Tory and Lib Dem voters all oppose strikes against Syria

The public opposes military action by 50 to 25%

That’s huge opposition.

And that’s not taking into account all the coalition MPs opposed to military strikes against Syria.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

But wasn’t the negative public opionion largely known already Ernie? It seems he realised that he was in potential trouble in the Commons tomorrow. So I suspect more credit to Milliband than public opinion. But who knows? Interesting though and some relief IMO,

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

But wasn’t the negative public opionion largely known already Ernie?

I think that opinion poll is the first one since the latest developments. And I’m not sure anyone could have predicted the 2 to 1 opposition, I’m certainly staggered by it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Interesting. Thanks for the link.

The debate on NW now about accepting US rather than UN evidence is interesting!

Giggled at the end of the debate just then!!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    wrecker
    Free Member

Milliband has outmanouvered Cameron on this one

And thank f*** he has.

id like to think hes done it based on principals rather than politicking

I’d like to think he has as well, but sadly I truly doubt it was much more than a points scoring exercise to him.

That Onion link is good, but…

If you do something about it, thousands of Syrians are going to die. Morally speaking, you’re on the hook for those deaths no matter how you look at it.

So, it’s your move, America. What’s it going to be?
    I don’t see it that way. It’s not ‘mericas business to sort.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

frankly i think the best thing we as a nation could do to stop children in syria being gasses is to stop selling them the gas…..oh and arming the other side via saudi while we are at it.

5thElefant
    Free Member

frankly i think the best thing we as a nation could do to stop children in syria being gasses is to stop selling them the gas

You think we’re selling them Sarin? OK…

wrecker
    Free Member

😯

BermBandit
    Free Member

…..oh and arming the other side via saudi while we are at it.

I reckon if we were really6 serious about sorting out issues in the Middle East sticking the nut on Saudi, might be one of the most sensible things to do.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

You think we’re selling them Sarin? OK…

no, i dont think we did. what i think we did we sell them a shopping list of parts which was obviously going to give them chemical warefare capability. i think we did this to increase instability in the region.
    im not alone in thinking this, former CIA Director William Webster thinks so too. im pretty sure he gave testimony to such an idea a while back.

wrecker
    Free Member

Define “we”
    I can’t find anything which suggests that the Uk has supplied anything of the sort

jonahtonto
    Free Member

then-CIA Director William Webster said, “West European firms were instrumental in supplying the required precursor chemicals and equipment. Without the provision of these key elements, Damascus would not have been able to produce chemical weapons.”

im pretty sure by west European, he wasn’t referring to portugal lol.
    but by we i guess what i really mean is the uk and the us.
    google top 100 arms dealers and you will see why we are so keen on starting and joining any war we can £$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£

chewkw
    Free Member

jonah tonto – Member
    im pretty sure by west European, he wasn’t referring to portugal lol.

I am sure he was referring to Scotland … 😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Teamhurtmore – Member
    My opinion of most politicians is not high at the best of times, but this build up to intervention in Syria makes me especially sad and angry. Basic questions unanswered and the BS that is the idea of limited surgical strikes. Yea right?!? For the first time ever I felt compelled to write to my MP to highlight my concerns and the fact that my vote next time will depend on what she says and does tomorrow. Cameron has already gone so/too far that I expect that tomorrow is little more than a rubbing stamping exercise. They should be ashamed.

It’s nice to be proven wrong by politicians. Extraordinary for any government to lose a defence/foreign policy vote of this magnitude even in a watered down version. MPs should be applauded especially the 30 or so Tories who voted against. Looking forward to see the split and to see how my MP voted.

I don’t really get the Milliband bashing other than he did seem to mislead the government re his intentions. But “politics” aside he did the right thing in the end IMO. Cameron and very Vague (in this case) get bloody noses correctly and their reputations diminished. And may be we, as a nation, have just passed a very important watershed in how we see our role in the world.

It was odd watching Argo on DvD last night before returning to the news!!! Good film yes, but all the oscars!?!?!

P.s. if a tomahawk really costs £1m a pop, how much humanitarian aid, how many gas masks etc could we now supply instead?

wrecker
    Free Member

then-CIA Director William Webster said, “West European firms were instrumental in supplying the required precursor chemicals and equipment. Without the provision of these key elements, Damascus would not have been able to produce chemical weapons.”

Nice bit of partial information!
    The full text then specifies Germany (glassware) and russia (chemicals). No mention or suggestion of UK involvement. At all.

Well, you’re wrong. The US isn’t in western europe, and the UK had nowt to do with it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No mention or suggestion of UK involvement. At all.

It does actually :

British-based MW Kellogg set up plants for the manufacture of ammonia and urea — both used in chemical weapons

I’m not sure how valid jonah tonto’s point is though. Other than business interests usually override most other considerations, including humanitarian ones.

binners

Dave’s face last night, leaving parliament, was priceless! The look of a man who’s upbringing, and subsequent sense of entitlement, has conditioned him to assume he ‘ll always get his own way. I was actually waiting for him to stamp his feet!

“I’m the PM!!! Why can’t I start a war if I want too!!! They’re my tanks!!! And my missiles!!! And I want to use them!!!!!”

Nice to see our elected representatives have actually learnt something. That governments with no majority don’t get to act like Tony, because the electorate won’t wear it this time.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Ammonia and urea? 😆 You forgot rubber gloves.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No, I’m wearing rubber gloves.

Kryton57

I’m happy about this.

I’d wholeheartedly support us as part of a UN peacekeeping force assisting in reducing needless and unwarrantied deaths but I don’t support our country going to war in an effort to pretend we are some all conquering rightous super power, not in the modern world. For once, lets spend some time and money looking after our own and sorting ourselves out, and not expose ourselves to the military or commercial wrath of China / Russia when we really don’t need to.

parkesie
    Free Member

Instead of sending bombs and guns send medical suplies food and water. If not dirrect into the conflict zone into the refugee camps that are fast overflowing. That to me is a more worthwhile use of our time and resourcess.
    The last thing the people of syria need is some one else throwing bombs at them no matter how well intentiond that bomb might be.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The vote was doomed as soon as Saint Blair said we should go in…

agent007
    Free Member

Well thank god that common sense prevailed at the House of Commons vote.

I think that Cameron was right to open the debate (a decision one way or the other was needed) and I think that the right decision to oppose military action was taken in the end.

The media are now suggesting that Cameron is weak because a vote went against him? I don’t think that’s the case – just that he was very wrong on this issue. No one can be right all of the time and I’m pleased that some from his own party had the courage to make their justified concerns felt. Anyway why is that a problem? Surely the issue here is a good outcome for Syria and for the UK, not the daily tittle-tattle of our own political system.

For once the politicians seem to have listened to the will of the public not to get drawn further into yet another Middle Eastern saga that would only ever end up in trouble and the escalation of violence for all involved.

Hopefully diplomacy towards a good outcome will now ensue.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Looking forward to see the split and to see how my MP voted.

@ THM, The rather useful Public Whip website has it. Link to which Conservatves and Lib Dems voted against. There is a link somewhere on there to show what everyone voted or didn’t…

My MP, (a former whip in a seat so safe that a gibbon would get in as long as it had a blue tie on) rather predictably voted with his party.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Agent, on the topic of weakness…part of the reason why we get dictatorial scumbags like blair is due to media pressure. If the media wasnt so interested in political point scoring, sound bites and short termism the politicians wouldn’t be either. But alas it’s not so and politicians have historically often gone with what they think the media will like and not the general publics opinion.

It’s almost as if the media feel they run the country, not westminster.

agent007
    Free Member

Tom, couldn’t agree more. Sometimes it seems like the Media is more interested in the political in-fighting and one-upmanship in the House of Commons rather than the serious issue being discussed itself.

On the BBC news the question ‘what does this mean to David Cameron’s leadership?’ had more time devoted to it than ‘what does this mean for Syria’s women and children?’ Disgusting and irresponsible journalism from a supposedly respected news source.

As a result it’s sometimes no wonder that politicians feel they have to act accordingly to keep the media focused on ‘short termism’ and ‘points scoring’ happy. Reflects pretty badly on the British media I think and as certainly a detriment to the long term success and forward planning of this country.

Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Syria…’ is closed to new replies.