Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Synthetic chemicals in our lives
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Now, I’m not prone to hippyish tendencies, as well you know.

But one thing I can’t abide is household fresheners/perfumes and the knowledge I’m sucking in lots of utterly unnecessary synthetic chemicals.

The other evening I came across this in the local sport’s hall bogs:

I think “Rubbermaid” might have an excellent line in gloss paint-stripper coming out soon.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The natural ones are bad enough!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Stick some loctite 242/243 down on a similar surface.

Similar outcome.

Moses

Leaking solvent.
    Try putting petrol in a polystyrene mug to see how fast it dissolves.

Or even put a rubber-sealed reusable wine cork in an olive oil bottle, to see what happens to the rubber.

Stoner
    Free Member

not unexpected. But I wouldnt expect blue loctite to be vapourised and pumped around the dunny.

GrahamS

Mmmm… lovely.

I hate those automatic bog sprayers.

We had one at work that was meant to give a brief refreshing spray whenever it detected someone in the loo.

Unfortunately they positioned it directly over the urinals, providing an effective way to automatically blind you with floral mace whilst mid-stream.

molgrips
    Free Member

Those things make me think of the 60s Batman movies with the orange gas.

thenorthwind

Try putting petrol in a polystyrene mug to see how fast it dissolves.

I seem to remember from reading the Anarchist’s Cookbook as a teenager that that’s how napalm is made.

andybrad

its a shame someone has decided to make it look a right mess by rubbing the damaged paint off.

why?

jonba
    Free Member

I agree re airfreshners. Generally air flow is a better solution than a masking agent. However, with regards to yor paint defect…

I can’t quite see what the substrate beneath the paint is but the coating looks like a ruin of the mill 1k domestic gloss. It is likely that the air freshner is creating a damp zone at the base. If it is an aerosol then it will cool as it spray leading to condensation on the surface. Equally it will heat up and cool down at different rates, again, condensation.

From my experience of coating failures (and I have lots!) that looks like blistering due to condensation and water. I doubt it is due to the chemicals in the air freshner.

One of the worst materials for attacking paint is acetic acid – nice on chips though. Another is stearic acid – go check a bottle of moisturiser or soap as it is probably in there.

Chemicals, synthetic or natural should be judged based on their harm to humans, not on how they were acquired or how they act on other materials.

Cougar

Chemicals, synthetic or natural should be judged based on their harm to humans, not on how they were acquired or how they act on other materials.

Indeed. Who in their right minds would wash with water after seeing the damage it does to iron?

Rubber_Buccaneer

So this thread isn’t about MDMA?

bigjim

93% of us have cancer-linked Monsanto glyphosate weedkiller in our urine 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

We do?

Stoner
    Free Member

93% of us have cancer-linked Monsanto glyphosate weedkiller in our urine

that’d be why my pissing in the compost bay is not helping things…

retro83
    Free Member

It’s not that, it’s some chemical in it reacting with the paint.

Source: spilled some air freshener liquid on some gloss paint once

GrahamS

Who in their right minds would wash with water after seeing the damage it does to iron?

Some idiots drink it, despite the fact that accidental inhalation of Dihydrogen Monoxide kills thousands of people a year.

bigjim

We do?

A test on MEPs gave 100% I think. Probably a lot more info online I’m just recalling headline stories.

Bayer bought Monsanto though so they’ll be able to sell us anti-cancer drugs as well as giving us cancer in the first place 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought glyphosphate broke down quickly. Otherwise how would you be able to grow stuff after you’ve used it?

stevious

The likely culprit is this one:

2-butoxy ethanol

Pretty low toxicity to humans and animals, but a pretty decent paint solvent.

My objection to those air fresheners is that turds with a hint of rose-petal sprayed on them still smell like turds.

Stoner
    Free Member

nothing smells quite like “old man’s poo and toothpaste”. The scent of the morning bathroom in many a family household.

mogrim

44% apparently (from here)

maccruiskeen

Makes plans to bottle my piss and sell it in Dobbies

bigjim

44% apparently (from here)

well every study has a different value but the take home message is that a WHO listed possible carcinogen is very likely present in your body

I thought glyphosphate broke down quickly. Otherwise how would you be able to grow stuff after you’ve used it?

Plenty online about it, it’s not as simple as that, plus Monsanto produce many GM crops that are immune to glyphosate – search Roundup Ready

Kahurangi

nothing smells quite like “old man’s poo and toothpaste”.

the aroma of campsites all over the country. boak.

sirromj

nothing smells quite like “old man’s poo and toothpaste”.

Kobain realized his destiny too early.

tazzymtb

far worse are expanding foams used in various forms of spray insulation coatings in homes.

Stoner
    Free Member

insulation coatings

It’s more likely “load-bearing” in my home 🙂

myti
    Free Member

well every study has a different value but the take home message is that a WHO listed possible carcinogen is very likely present in your body

I hope you never put alcohol in your body apparently that is definitely carcinogenic!!

breadcrumb

During our house move the kettle was packed with the wife’s fake tan. The fake tan leaked and stripped the paint off the kettle. 😯

BoardinBob

Watched an interesting documentary on Netflix a couple of nights ago about the rise in exposure to chemicals and what it might be doing to us. Some quite staggering stats in there but this one was eye opening. In 1995, the incidence of autism was 1 in 400 children. Nowadays it’s 1 in 88 😯

Cougar

During our house move the kettle was packed with the wife’s fake tan. The fake tan leaked and stripped the paint off the kettle

Good job your wife isn’t made of paint or you might have a problem.

Cougar

Watched an interesting documentary on Netflix a couple of nights ago about the rise in exposure to chemicals and what it might be doing to us. Some quite staggering stats in there but this one was eye opening. In 1995, the incidence of autism was 1 in 400 children. Nowadays it’s 1 in 88

We’re getting ever-better at detecting and reporting syndromes and illnesses. Autism or ASD?

What “chemicals” exactly are allegedly causing this increase? The entire world is made out of chemicals and has been for, eh, quite some time. You might as well blame exposure to “substances” or “matter.”

molgrips
    Free Member

Better at diagnosing Autism. Also the internet helps geeks find geek partners… (joking aside there might actually be something in that…)

Cougar

Worked for me.

bigjim

I hope you never put alcohol in your body apparently that is definitely carcinogenic!!

I put that in my body knowingly and usually deliberately – glyphosate isn’t a listed ingredient on my food though, but is going to be in a large proportion of it.

TimothyD
    Free Member

^ Exactly

Regarding the smell of poo in bathrooms, some (eco friendly if that’s more in line with your ethics) deodorant sprayed into the toilet bowl can pretty effectively stop the smell at it’s source, so the funny mixture of smells doesn’t float around the bathroom – quite handy if you’re a guest somewhere.

TimothyD
    Free Member

I’ve read that buying organic bread is a worthwhile thing to do, because of how the glyphosate works it’s way into the wheat kernels and can’t be washed off or removed particularly.

There’s a ‘dirty dozen’ list online somewhere of the foods to avoid when buying non organic due to their tendency to ‘hold onto’ things like pesticides, and a list of 17 which are less potentially worrying.

stumpyjon

Geez the lack of scientific understanding in some of you is frightening. OK so there may be Glyphosate residuals in your food, we do actually have qualified people looking at stuff like this who make up reasoned rules on what is acceptable and what is not after properly assess the risks. Yes this changes from time to time with new information but it’s done methodically, not based upon pseudo science from the internet.

As for exposure to ‘chemicals’ aside from Cougar nailing that stupid concept what do you think people were exposed to in Victorian times, some horrific chemicals were released into the atmosphere from coal fires which were way more hazardous to health than modern pesticides.Not to mention food adulteration which was big back then, outright toxic chemicals in medicines and cosmetics, total lack of understanding and controls of industrial manufacturing processes and lead based paints and pipework. We’ve been exposed to non-background levels of ‘chemicals’ since the start of the industrial revolution so to connect more readily (over?) diagnosed medical conditions with modern exposures without any evidence is a real bad case of correlation / causation confusion.

In the meantime people continue to smoke, or more recently vape. I saw a great advertisement on a shop in Leeds the other day proclaiming vaping was smoking with all the poisons removed, all the poisons with the exception of that tried and tested pesticide nicotine – people swallow all sorts of rubbish, literally and metaphorically.

BoardinBob

Cougar – Moderator
    Watched an interesting documentary on Netflix a couple of nights ago about the rise in exposure to chemicals and what it might be doing to us. Some quite staggering stats in there but this one was eye opening. In 1995, the incidence of autism was 1 in 400 children. Nowadays it’s 1 in 88
    We’re getting ever-better at detecting and reporting syndromes and illnesses. Autism or ASD?

What “chemicals” exactly are allegedly causing this increase? The entire world is made out of chemicals and has been for, eh, quite some time. You might as well blame exposure to “substances” or “matter.”

Feel free to check it out for yourself

http://thehumanexperimentmovie.com/

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Synthetic chemicals in our lives’ is closed to new replies.