Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Syntace 142 x 12 rear axle question
  • yossarian
    Free Member

First my phone auto corrects syntace axle to syntax error. This makes me laugh, not sure it’s very funny but hey.

So my rear axle is becoming an arse to undo/do up as it spins in the dropout and I have to wedge something (usually my finger or the end of a small spanner into the opposite side to the Allen key to get it to bite. Is this normal? If so is there a tool that can do the job? If it’s not then what have I broken? Oh and lastly can I fit an after market axle with a lever instead?

Who knew that syntax errors could pose so many questions.

Cheers

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve sold my frame with Syntace x-12, so can’t really try to mimic what you’re talking about. This pic suggests you might need to tighten the bolt which holds the hanger. I seem to recall reading that the insert which takes the axle thread is cammed or something so you might need to read up if it has the be orientated / aligned some way or other

DT Swiss do an X12 axle that doesn’t require a tool
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dt-swiss-rws-x-12-alloy/rp-prod81163

yossarian
    Free Member

Hmmmmm….looks like the bolt has been rounded off somewhat, although it looks pretty tight. Emailed canyon and syntace with the question, hopefully it’s not ‘too’ problematic.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Hmmmmm….looks like the bolt has been rounded off somewhat, although it looks pretty tight.

TBH I wasn’t entirely certain I understood your description. If I did understand you correctly and the bolt is also rounded off, that would suggest the previous owner had the same problem? and has buggered up the bolt trying to resolve it and then sold it on with all the issues.
    I had the syntace x-12 on a Cube Stereo as per the above, no problems and screwed in and out by hand (DT Swiss axle) and never came loose even when used on big descents in the alps.

yossarian
    Free Member

That’s the thing – the bike is 6 weeks old….brand new really…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

OH?, very strange then. Don’t know what to say. 🙁 Hopefully they will resolve it for you with some replacement parts.

jimdubleyou

I have one of these on my Nerve (my first bike with thru axles) – when I first got it the bolt would just spin.

I realised you also need a little bit inward pressure on the allen key to get it to bite. Never had to hold anything on the other end.

If that doesn’t cure it then I guess you need some new parts…

welshfarmer

Not an answer, but I have had good results asking questions to Syntace via their Facebook page. Hope you sort it soon

nickdavies

It shouldn’t spin. I’d strip the back end down remove the mech and hanger drop the nut out clean everything and re grease and make sure the seal is on the nut ok. Check the bolt is ok, the bolt that holds the whole thing together on the canyons (most of them not sure what bike yours is) is a shear bolt and can snap if over tightened.

When you reassemble torque everything properly and seat everything straight and you should be golden. I seem to recall having similar I think it was due to the seal on the nut. If that doesn’t sort it I’d change the hanger bolt as a first port of call, buy a couple from canyon.

If you’re undoing it often grab a DT Swiss RWS skewer from CRC http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dt-swiss-rws-x-12-alloy/rp-prod81163

yossarian
    Free Member

I seem to recall having similar I think it was due to the seal on the nut

Do you mean the thread insert that the axle screws into. If so there is no rubber seal around mine at all, which might be the initial problem. However….

Check the bolt is ok, the bolt that holds the whole thing together on the canyons (most of them not sure what bike yours is) is a shear bolt and can snap if over tightened

I think this bolt has been rounded off when the bike was put together (its only 6 weeks old and I certainly haven’t touched it). That is going to be an arse to get out as its a carbon frame and the bolt is recessed.

bollocks 🙁

yossarian
    Free Member

A little update if anyone is interested

The hanger bolt had indeed been rounded/snapped off and this had caused the issue. I emailed Canyon to get some advice and they phoned me within a half hour to arrange getting the bike to their centre in London. Fortunately my missus was up that way a couple of days later so dropped it off and waited whilst they got sorted the issue FOC. All sorted now.

Gotta say I’m very impressed with Canyon and their response.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Syntace 142 x 12 rear axle question’ is closed to new replies.