Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Synology NAS – Remote Connection
  • Haze

I can remotely connect to my NAS via my Synology DDNS hostname from all of my mobile devices using the Synlogy software (DS File, DS Audio etc.)

When I log in to MyDS Centre from my Windows PC I can see the status as green and the broadcast IP.

I cannot login to the NAS by using the Synology DDNS hostname in my browser.

Going the slightly long way round, copying the broadcast IP address and appending “:5000” in my browser address bar gets me to the login page.

Anything I’m overlooking? Ideally I’d like access via the DDNS hostname with a nice convenient shortcut somewhere.

Cougar

I’m not really sure what you’re asking. Why not just bookmark it in your browser, or drag & drop the shortcut link to your desktop?

“5000” is the port number, which is the “channel” if you like that the web service is listening on. All web requests require a port number, but if you don’t specify one then the default (80, or 443 for https) is assumed. That’s why you don’t normally see it included in web addresses.

Does that help or have I spectacularly missed what you’re getting at?

Haze

Sorry, it’s a dynamic IP.

I understand all the port 5000 business and thought I’d add it to the known IP address at that time to see if it would connect, which it did.

What I’d like to be able to do is connect through the DDNS hostname rather than signing into DS Centre to check the IP address.

alanf
    Free Member

I might not be getting what you’re asking but I use

find.synology.com

in the browser and that finds the NAS and lets me connect for the login screen it brings up

Is probably not what you’re after though

Cougar

Are you saying that (for example),

http://192.168.0.99:5000 works but http://haze-nas:5000 does not?

We’re talking about internal LAN access yes? You could just reserve an IP address for it on your router, so whilst dynamic it always gets the same address allocated.

andytherocketeer

can force the router to give it the same IP every time, or hard code the NAS IP to be a fixed one on the same subnet but outside the range of the router’s DHCP address pool. the former let’s you look up by name too, not just IP.

then it’s fixed and you can bookmark it.

(assuming this is on a standard, home LAN, with the DSL/Wifi/Router dishing out IP)

Haze

Are you saying that (for example),

http://192.168.0.99:5000 works but http://haze-nas:5000 does not?

Yep, precisely that.

The link to the DDNS address is showing as working at both ends, on the Synology account page and on the NAS itself.

Cougar

Going out on a limb, I’d guess that you’ve no name resolution on the LAN but the Synology software can detect where it is.

As I (and Andy) said earlier, a reserved IP will fix your problem. If you log on to your router there should be something along the lines of “connected devices” where you can find the MAC address of the NAS based on its IP (or sometimes, it’s printed on a sticker on the unit on some devices). Then you should be able to add a reservation which says “when this MAC address requests an IP, always give it this one.”

You could instead configure a static IP on the NAS but I’d avoid that unless you had to.

Haze

Sorry, missed Andy’s reply.

Yes it’s all standard set up, Superhub assigning all addresses with the NAS sat behind the router with a reserved address (that’s how I set it up for the Windows PC’s around the house using mapped network drives for quick and easy access through Windows explorer).

Cougar

Sorry, it’s probably just me having too much blood in my caffeine stream right now, but I’m not seeing what the issue is then? Why do you need to ‘sign into the DS Centre to check the address’ if you’ve reserved it?

allthepies
    Free Member

You need port forwarding setup on the router to transfer all requests to port 5000 to the local IP address of your NAS drive.

To ensure that the works consistently then you will need to set the router up to always allocate the NAS the same IP address. DHCP reservation is the term which the router may use.

Edit: I did all this last week for my Synology NAS drive on my Virgin Media Superhub which sounds like the same setup you have ?
    I then turned the remote access off as there is a vulnerability in the DSM version running on my NAS which allows the NAS to be setup as a bitcoin mining bot.

Haze

The reserved address is on the 192.168.***.***

If I log into my Synology account I can see the hostname and the current ISP assigned IP.

I thought (and correct me if I’m wrong) that the idea of the DDNS service is to handle the changes in dynamic IP’s?

ie. the NAS notifies the DDNS service of a change, when I connect to haze.whatever.nas then the service connects me via the updated IP.

Problem is it’s not doing that, as a workaround I’m having to login to my Synology account to find out the current ISP assigned IP and add the port number to connect.

Cougar

Point is,

Dynamic just means “assigned via DHCP” in this context. If you’ve reserved the address then the IP should never change, it dynamically gets the same address every time it renews and there should never be an “updated IP” to be notified about.

allthepies
    Free Member

DDNS handles the change in IP address which your ISP allocates to your router. However your router will allocate dynamic IP addresses to all the local bits of kit attached to it and DDNS won’t help here that’s why you need to reserve a specific local (192.168.xxx.xx) address for the NAS and setup port forwarding such that all port 5000 requests to your router are sent to the NAS IP.

If you don’t do both (DDNS + reserved local NAS IP address) of these then it won’t work,

Cougar

Sorry, I thought we were just talking about internal access, is that not the case?

I don’t really know the Synology-specific side of things I’m afraid.

Haze

Allthepies, that’s my dilemma.

The NAS has a fixed consistent IP address assigned by my router (had it set it up that way from year dot).

The DDNS appears to be working, as in it’s showing healthy both on the NAS and my Synology account page.

I can remote connect via the hostname using the Synology apps on my Android devices.

I can remote connect from a Windows PC using the ISP assigned IP and relevant port number.

However, I want to be able to this via the hostname so I can set up a convenient shortcut somewhere rather than having to go looking for the current ISP every time.

Haze

Cheers Cougar, no worries.

I’m hoping the issue might be something general rather than Synology specific, hence asking here.

Mr_C
    Free Member

Are you appending :5000 to the hostname when you try to connect from outside your home network?

Haze

Mr_C – Member
    Are you appending :5000 to the hostname when you try to connect from outside your home network?

You beauty!

Could have sworn I tried that earlier though, cheers Mr C

Cougar

I bloody said that two hours ago!

*pouts*

Haze

Cougar – Moderator
    I bloody said that two hours ago!

*pouts*

Haha, sorry…definitely tried that before though.

Cheers for your help 🙂

phead
    Free Member

Make sure you patch it, there is a remote access vulnerability around. Also using a VPN to access it will be much more secure.

Haze

Thanks phead, it’s running all the latest updates etc. so hopefully it’s secure.

Longer term I will run a VPN, I’ve dabbled a little bit previously but haven’t got it up and running yet.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Synology NAS – Remote Connection’ is closed to new replies.