Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • sync iphone pics to android tablet??
  • NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Does anyone know of an app or method to get the photos from iphone onto android tablet? The tablet has usb but doesn’t recognize the phone when its connected. I think I could do it through an online photo storage but just want the simplicity of connecting the 2with a cable like I do with my windows pc.

jam-bo

Dropbox.

Cougar

USB works like a client / server sort of thing. With a phone or a tablet connecting to a PC, the PC is a host and the phone etc is a slave device.

Connecting a phone directly to a tablet, you’ve got two slaves, nothing’s in control, so it’s never going to work. I think there are cables that have a slave connection at either end and a box of electrickery ing the middle which acts as the host (so you’ve then got slave > host > slave), but I’ve never used one and whether the iPhone will play nicely with such things I’ve no idea. Direct file access to iDevices can be awkward.

I think if it were me, I’d be trying to do if over wifi rather than cables. Or, actually, bluetooth push maybe. Is there any sort of OBEX app for iPhone, I wonder? I might have a play this afternoon, see if I can work it out.

How on earth are you connecting an iPhone to a tablet in the first place?

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

connecting with iphone usb cable and usb female to mini usb into tablet.

Thanks for info so far the host/slave thing makes sense

Cougar

Yeah, I thought that might be the case. You’re essentially turning USB ‘A’ into USB ‘B’ – it just doesn’t work like that I’m afraid.

I can’t immediately see where that adapter would ever be useful. Hm.

argoose
    Free Member

+1 dropbox

Stoner
    Free Member

My android tablet can host usb, there’s an adaptor cable for Mini USB female to USB female.

*smug*

Dropbox would work, or my preferred service, Google Drive is available on the iPhone.

IA

I can’t immediately see where that adapter would ever be useful. Hm.

Some android devices support USB host mode, or USB on-the-go (OTG) (not both the same spec! There are differences that don’t matter here…)

BUT an iPhone doesn’t present itself as USB mass-storage, so the android device won’t have the drivers to get the pictures off, you’d need effectively an iTunes implementation on the tablet. So this approach won’t work. Even for stoner being smug cos he knows slightly more about this 😉

Without involving the web, I’d be looking at doing it via webdav, and wifi (using internet connection sharing on the tablet, if no network’s handy). However I’m not sure if any iOS apps expose the camera roll entirely over webdav, or even can do so. That’s how I’d look into going about it though….

crikey
    Free Member

If your android tablet is linked to a Gmail account, it will be linked to a Picasa account.

I’m presuming the iPhone can upload photos to the web, and hopefully to a destination you decide.

Upload your photos to Picasa, then download them to your tablet.

IA

Wait, I know how i’d do it:

run an app that makes a webdav server on the tablet.

Upload to that from the iPhone, probably using something like goodreader (off the top of my head, can’t remember if this lets you bulk upload images).

then you can do that wirelessly off a “internet sharing” network hosted by one of the devices (if you’ve no other lan handy).

Cougar

Some android devices support USB host mode

Oh really? Cool, that’d explain it, I didn’t know that.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Thanks some really good info there. Was trying to find a way to do it without a wifi connection to use on holiday. Was interesting to read the usb host stuff I’m better with spanners than dongles! 🙂

IA

without a wifi connection to use on holiday

The way I suggest will work without one – either the phone or tablet can use internet sharing to make a network (i.e. not actually share an internet connection) to get them both on the same wifi. I’ve done this before to get pics from another device to an iOS device. No reason it’d not work the other way.

I know it all sounds complex, but once you have it worked out how to do it, it’ll be easy.

Cougar
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just take the SD card out of your iphone……

The solution you want is called a cloud

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘sync iphone pics to android tablet??’ is closed to new replies.