Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sydney hire and ride – anyone done it?
  • jethrogreenfinger
    Free Member

Does anyone know or has anyone done a hire and ride near Sydney in Aus? I’m going for a few days and would love to get a ride in. Thanks for any advice or info.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Road or MTB? If road, I’ve considered using these guys but haven’t so far:
    http://www.livelo.com.au/

dannybgoode

Sydney probably has the most aggressive drivers towards cyclists of any city on Earth. My advice would be not to ride. My mate lived there for a few years and there are plenty of stories of drivers purposefully ramming cyclists off the road.

My friend was nearly killed by a car that just pulled out on him whilst he was doing 50kph. That was 4 or 5 years ago and he is still suffering.

jethrogreenfinger
    Free Member

Sorry, should have said, I’m off road only, so MTB. Thanks for the heads-up on road riding!

konabunny
    Free Member

You’d be fine, it’s roadie central around here…

Don’t know about hire places for MTBs. Reckon you’d be able to rent something or other with suspension at Manly and ride Manly Dam or Terrey Hills. If you wanted a day trip, Blue Mountains might have something…not sure tho. Where are you staying?

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

You could try this mob http://www.sydneymtbhire.com.au/. I have never used them but seems good enough and recommends local trails.
    I live in Sydney and love hearing stories like dannybgoode tells. We also have kangaroos hopping down the city streets and spiders under all dunny seats. Dangerous place.
    Let me know when you are around and may be able to let you borrow a bike if medium.

jethrogreenfinger
    Free Member

Thanks Caffineoldbean, that is great link and thanks for the offer of a bike, that is very kind. I normally ride in the Peak District and on the streets of Sheffield, I wish we only had kangaroos to deal with! Bikes seem to be almost invisible to most car drivers here.

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

Lot of sandstone trails here so coming from the Peak you will love it. No real open spaces though its all in the bush.Offer is there if you want no worries. Haha the reason bikes are invisible to cars there is due to all that bloody fog. 😉

ononeorange

Sorry only just seen this. I go to Sydney occasionally for work and last time I hired Heckler from Mick at the place recommended by caffeine. He was brilliant, a true Ozzie, I took the ferry out to Manly and rode round there – very good, but got hit by heat exhaustion!

Off there the weekend after next, would like to get into the Blue Mountains and about to work out how!

Cheers

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Hired a Spesh Rock Hopper in Pokolbin.

Great blasting around Hunter Valley 🙂

ps44
    Free Member

I hired one for a couple of weeks from an outlet in Manly, where we were staying. No problems with traffic, if anything more polite than here. Manly Dam trail is a bit of fun , and there’s loads of bike only tracks all over the place. Get the train to the Blue Mountains.

kiwijohn

Off there the weekend after next, would like to get into the Blue Mountains and about to work out how

Get the train to Katoomba & it’s all down hill back.

konabunny
    Free Member

have you got a map or link for that kiwijohn? I’ve only ever walked in the Blue Mtns but it makes perfect sense what you’re saying.

kiwijohn

Only through a mate on Facebook. Don’t know the exact route, but drove up that way last year & it looks like a good ride.

jethrogreenfinger
    Free Member

Sadly, it looks like I’m not going to get out on a bike, too much boring stuff to do. Thanks for all the info though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sydney hire and ride – anyone done it?’ is closed to new replies.