Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Swopping Octalink BB for HTII
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Trying to shed some weight from MrsSB bike and am having done forks and wheels am now looking at the chainset? It's currently a cheapo Octalink setup – is it tricky swopping for HT II?

foxyrider
    Free Member

NOpe – as long as its a std BB shell – take the old one out and shove the 2 BB cups in and axle though 🙂

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=95

sharkbait
    Free Member

great……. cheers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    davidtaylforth
    Free Member

No but you'll need a crank extracor, ocatalink bb remover and ht2 bb installer and preload washer doer upper. So unless you have the tools, take it to a shop to do

foxyrider
    Free Member

I guess he's got most of those otherwise he wouldn't of asked – The Tools are pretty cheap and for the money a bike shop would charge i.e £10-£15 he can do it himself?

Crank Extractor £5
    BB remover £5
    HT II tool £6

tron
    Free Member

Is HTII lighter than octalink by much margin? Certainly the old hollowtech Deores aren't excessively heavy according to the weight weenie listings…

uplink
    Free Member

I'm still on Octalink on all my bikes & I can't remember last time I needed a crank extractor
    self extracting bolts have come with everything I've bought for ages now

foxyrider
    Free Member

Well I used to have splined and Octalink Shimano cranksets in the past and required crank extractors for all of them ❓

Dickyboy

My LX octalink crankset & BB is virtually the same weight as my LX HTII crankset & bottom bracket at approx 900gms

uplink
    Free Member

Maybe it's just XT then
    All mine are like this so no extractor needed

midlifecrashes

Don't fall for the snake oil of facing your frame bottom fracket shell, though. The new BB cups will take the alignment of the threads inside, if they are not aligned with the one on the opposite side, facing the outer surface isn't going to change that.

[Runs and hides]

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ahh can see that uplink – nice – nah I had crappy Deore/LX old stuff so bugger to get off sometimes – hence much easier with HTII ext cups to services clean etc IME 🙂

I have never faced a BB before retrofitting but maybe I have been lucky? 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Swopping Octalink BB for HTII’ is closed to new replies.