Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • swopping between bikes with different geo…
  • iainc

I knew this was going to happen, changing from a slightly older geometry Anthem to a new one, which is lower and longer, and then swopping between it and my 26 Soul…..

Been on the Anthem mostly last few weeks due dry dusty West of Scotland and when I get back on the Soul it feels distinctly short for first hour or so…..

A common issue I guess, with n+1 being the likely remedy if I chose to solve it 🙂

Both 120mm forks, both with droppers, same saddle, grips etc. Soul has narrower bars at 720 vs. the Giant at 750.

Having had loads of bikes over the years, when I got the Soul 4 years ago I was convinced it was a keeper. The new Anthem is the most fun bike I have ever had though….

this one

NormalMan

I know what you mean. I guess that’s why you often end up with a ‘go to bike as it just feels right.

My case is made worse by being really, really fussy!

chakaping
    Free Member

The only real cure is a new bike, but I think you already realise that.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

I switch between a Fat FS bike, a 29er hardtail and a cross bike.

Recalibrating your riding gets easier after a while but it still takes a a little while to trust your reactions.

kcal

definitely iain! I tend to swap about between the bikes I use on the road (general purpose and road bike) and they’re not too bad bizarrely, except I try and bar end shift on the road bike..

But MTBs, been on newish bike for much of the time since last summer (Swift) and now swapping back to old Kilauea is a shock. It’s a great bike but it’s so so different, and that’s without hopping on the M2 which is now unloved in the shed as well…

iainc

yeah (chapaking) ….. no value in my Soul though, so will have to suck it up.. 😕

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I swap between an Aeris 145 and a rigid steel singlespeed with no real issues – crucially, the saddle-to-bars dimension is roughly the same on both though.

bigblackshed

I swap between a hardtail SS and a flat bar CX hybrid. Completely different bikes, but I ride them in different locations and for different things.

If you’re able to, I’d adjust the Soul to feel like the Anthem, some wider bars and possibly a different stem to at least get them feeling similar. Then try to use them for different types of riding.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

At your age, I think you need to look for something with a slightly different ‘geometry’…..

roverpig

I swap between a 26″ full suss (Five) and a hardtail fat bike (Dude), so pretty much chalk and cheese. For the most part it only takes a few minutes to get comfortable after changing, but there are definitely “trust issues” that last a bit longer.

iainc

cheers nobeer 🙂 I was expecting that, you don’t disappoint ! 😛

honourablegeorge

This exact thing happened me – had a Morewood DH Bike, an Nicolai Ion 15, nd a Soul, loved them all, got a Last FF, then the others all fetl a bit short, and I ended up with a Geometron

NormalMan

Looking at some of bikes you guys mention just highlights how similar mine are. Told you I was fussy 😳

scotroutes

That’s why the Blur went and I bought the Occam Iain. I was enjoying the Marley so much that jumping on the Blur for the occasional outing was messing with my head. The Occam is much more like the Ragley.

Fatbike, cross-tourer and even the bikepacking hardtail are all sufficiently different from the “standard MTB” so they were never an issue.

YOU’LL JUST HAVE TO BUY A NEW BIKE!!!!

iainc

YOU’LL JUST HAVE TO BUY A NEW BIKE!!!!

aye right 🙂

Though I do remember you telling me about this likelihood !

I have however ordered some wider bars and a shorter stem from CRC in the last half hour… (bars 711 to 740, stem 70 to 60)

kcal

I’m so old school that I gave up on the 740 bars on my new bike !! swapped them for shorter ones 🙂

scotroutes

Oh go on. There must be at least another half dozen good threads in you deciding what bike to buy….

iainc

🙂 nope, no more new bikes for me this year…..

renton
    Free Member

You are as bad as me !! :mrgreen:

iainc

hey, c’mon now 😀 My HT is 4 years old this month, virtually unchanged and I am on my second FS in 3 yrs….

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m dealing with this at the moment, having an ultra modern progressive hardtail and a 29er FS from 2011.

Currently I can neither turn in the FS without feeling like its falling over, or fully commit to the slackness of the hardtail. They seem to be running interference with the different styles.

It’ll come, I just need to persevere.

kimbers

Ive ended up with 3 mtbs with similar geo

a dh hardtail, 26 inch (got a large jump bike frame as it had long reach)

a trail hardtail 29inch

an enduro bike 650b

theyve all got similar reach, same width bars and shortish chainstays

I like riding all 3, I think having the same reach/bars, makes them all feel close enough that I can jump on either

tomhoward

All my bikes feel different. If they all felt the same, I wouldn’t need so many…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘swopping between bikes with different geo…’ is closed to new replies.