Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Swopout dropouts and Rohloff
  • JonathanTompkins
    Free Member

I have a Blue Pig X with Swopout Dropouts, does anyone know if it’s possible to fit a Rohloff to it?

I think the length of the dropouts is too short and I can’t find a Rohloff specific Swopout.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A rolf can be fitted to conventional dropouts so I don’t see the issue – would need to use the speedbone for the brake mount

JonathanTompkins
    Free Member

Wouldn’t I need an eccentric bottom bracket to tension the chain with conventional dropouts?

jes
    Free Member

They look quite long, you need 19 mm from memory for the OEM axel plate.

But if not as per TandemJeremy use OEM 2 axel plate and a dogbone or better still a monkeybone.

Without slidy dropouts or eccentric BB you will need to use a tensioner or magic gear.

You could get some custom slidy dropouts made.

Alfine hubs use torque washers which need about 13-15 mm dropouts but Alfines are not quite as refined as the Rohloff.

Stoner
    Free Member

right, ‘hoffing the slot dropout.

Ive done this to a ti29er and a pompetamine slotted drop out and also the scandal vert dropout but with a tensioner, so Im going to assume that the trackend and rear caliper mount inside the rear triangle is similar becuase I cant find any pics of the swap out on a pig.

Ive used two methods.

first I modified a speedbone so that the torque peg transfer hub torque to the inside of the drop out traingle:

It picks up an OEM 2 plate from the hub.

That speedbone has recently been adapted further with an additional mounting hole so that I can use it in a similar way in a pompetamine which has a different dimension to the calliper mount/dropout

Ive also machined my own monkeybone from a spare caliper adaptor to use on the scandal – youd need a tensioner, or to adapt the monkeybone so that you could slide it back and forth with the axle

jes
    Free Member

Stoner with the sliding dropouts why aren’t you using the OEM or tandem plate which locates in the slot?
    I thought that may be a neater solution.

Stoner
    Free Member

the platepeg needs longer drop outs unless the axle is right at the front of the slot. you also risk opening the slot if it’s not all the way in. The OEM slot dropout on OEM frames is quite long. It also limits the clickbox orientation to one position.

JonathanTompkins
    Free Member

Thanks all. Does anyone have a DMR Swopout horizontal that they could measure the length of the slot for me please?

bencooper
    Free Member

You need to be a bit careful running a OEM1 axle plate in a horizontal dropout – I’ve seen several frames where the dropout has splayed open under the torque which it isn’t designed for.

I occasionally reinforce track dropouts to suit by brazing a strip along the underside.

lipseal
    Free Member

Monkey bone for me its a neater option.

Stoner
    Free Member

neater option.

except for that circuitous click box cable routing! 😉

lipseal
    Free Member

Works for me fella 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Swopout dropouts and Rohloff’ is closed to new replies.